Analysis of the temperature distribution in the explosion of a methane/air mixture in a tunnel
Rent the article at a discountRent now
* Final gross prices may vary according to local VAT.Get Access
The aim of this work is to investigate temperature distribution in methane/air mixture explosion near a wall of a tunnel by numerical simulation. The results obtained on the basis of the hypothesis of an adiabatic wall are compared with those for a nonadiabatic wall. It is shown that the temperature near the wall in explosion of methane/air mixtures in tunnels changes abruptly. The hypothesis of an adiabatic wall leads to a great error in the calculated temperature near the wall. If heat conduction in the wall is ignored, the temperatures at various locations of a section are almost equal, whereas the measured temperatures on the vessel wall are always lower than those calculated on the basis of the hypothesis mentioned. However, when it is necessary to find the temperatures in the field outside the range near the wall, heat conduction in it can be ignored.
- Cashdollar, KL, Zlochower, IA, Green, GM (2000) Flammability of methane, propane, and hydrogen gases. J. Loss Prev. Process Ind. 13: pp. 327-340 CrossRef
- Gascoin, N, Gillard, P (2010) Confined kerosene vapor explosion: severity prediction laws based on numerical simulations. Energy Fuels 24: pp. 404-418 CrossRef
- E. Daniau, M. Bouchez, O. Herbinet, P.-M. Marquaire, N. Gascoin, and P. Gillard, Fuel reforming for scramjet thermal management and combustion optimization, in: A Collection Tech. Papers — 13th AIAA/CIRA Int. Space Planes Hypersonic Syst. Technol. Conf. 3 (2005), pp. 1799–1807.
- O. Kalejaiye, P. R. Amyotte, M. J. Pegg, and K. L. Cashdollar., Effectiveness of dust dispersion in the 20-L Siwek chamber, J. Loss Prev. Process Ind., 23, 46–59 (2010).
- Mercer, DB, Amyotte, PR, Dupuis, DJ, Pegg, MJ, Dahoe, AE, Heij, WBC, Zevenbergen, JF, Scarlett, B (2001) The influence of injector design on the decay of pre-ignition turbulence in a spherical explosion chamber. J. Loss Prev. Process Ind. 14: pp. 269-282 CrossRef
- Chawla, N, Amyotte, PR, Pegg, MJ (1996) A comparison of experimental methods to determine the minimum explosible concentration of dusts. Fuel 75: pp. 654-658 CrossRef
- Kobiera, A, Kindracki, J, Zydak, P, Wolanski, P (2007) A new phenomenological model of gas explosion based on characteristics of flame surface. J. Loss Prev. Process Ind. 20: pp. 271-280 CrossRef
- P. Wolanski, C. W. Kauffman, M. Sichel, and J. A. Nicholls, Detonation of methane–air mixtures, in: Proc. 18th Symp. Int. Combust. (1981), pp. 1651–1660.
- Dahoe, AE (2005) Laminar burning velocities of hydrogen–air mixtures from closed vessel gas explosions. J. Loss. Prev. Process Ind. 18: pp. 152-166 CrossRef
- Dahoe, AE, Goey, PH (2003) On the determination of the laminar burning velocity from closed vessel gas explosions. J. Loss Prev. Process Ind. 16: pp. 457-478 CrossRef
- Dahoe, AE, Cant, RS, Scarlett, B (2002) On the decay of turbulence in the 20-liter explosion sphere. Flow Turbul. Combust. 67: pp. 159-184 CrossRef
- Dahoe, AE, Cant, RS, Pegg, MJ, Scarlett, B (2000) On the transient flow in the 20-liter explosion sphere. J. Loss Prev. Process Ind. 14: pp. 475-487 CrossRef
- Tang, CL, Huang, ZH, Jin, C, He, J, Wang, J, Wang, X, Miao, H (2009) Explosion characteristics of hydrogen–nitrogen–air mixtures at elevated pressures and temperatures. Int. J. Hydrogen Energy 34: pp. 554-561 CrossRef
- Zhang, Q, Li, W, Lin, D-C, Duan, Y, Liang, H-M (2011) Experimental study of gas deflagration temperature distribution and its measurement. Exp. Therm. Fluid Sci. 35: pp. 503-508 CrossRef
- Xiao, JZ, Song, ZW, Zhang, F (2010) Experimental study on the coefficient of thermal conductivity for concrete and analysis. J. Constr. Mater. [in Chinese] 13: pp. 17-21
- H. P. Sun, Y. S. Yuan, J. H. Jiang, and J. Y. Cheng, Experimental study on the change rule of coefficient for concrete, Concrete [in Chinese], No. 5, 59–61 (2009).
- Jiang, DM (2002) Combustion in Engine [in Chinese]. Xi’an Jiao Tong Univ. Press, Xi’an
- Analysis of the temperature distribution in the explosion of a methane/air mixture in a tunnel
Journal of Engineering Physics and Thermophysics
Volume 85, Issue 6 , pp 1413-1418
- Cover Date
- Print ISSN
- Online ISSN
- Springer US
- Additional Links
- methane/air mixtures
- temperature of explosion
- numerical simulation
- adiabatic wall
- Industry Sectors