On Witness-Discernibility of Elementary Particles
Rent the article at a discountRent now
* Final gross prices may vary according to local VAT.Get Access
In the context of discussions about the nature of ‘identical particles’ and the status of Leibniz’s Principle of the Identity of Indiscernibles in Quantum Mechanics, a novel kind of physical discernibility has recently been proposed, which we call witness-discernibility. We inquire into how witness-discernibility relates to known kinds of discernibility. Our conclusion will be that for a wide variety of cases, including the intended quantum-mechanical ones, witness-discernibility collapses extensionally to absolute discernibility, that is, to discernibility by properties.
- Arenhart, J.R.B. (2012). Many entities, no identity. Synthese (to appear).
- Caulton, A., Butterfield, J. (2012) On kinds of indiscernibility in logic and metaphysics. British Journal for the Philosophy of Science 63: pp. 27-84 CrossRef
- Dieks, D., Versteegh, M.A.M. (2008) Identical quantum particles and weak discernibility. Foundations of Physics 38: pp. 923-934 CrossRef
- French, S., Krause, D. (2006) Identity in physics: A historical, philosophical and formal analysis. Clarendon Press, Oxford CrossRef
- Jantzen, B.C. (2011) No two entities without identity. Synthese 181: pp. 433-450 CrossRef
- Ladyman, J., Bigaj, T. (2010) The principle of the identity of indiscernibles and quantum mechanics. Philosophy of Science 77: pp. 117-136 CrossRef
- Ladyman, J., Bigaj, T. (2011). Private communication by e-mail, 2011.
- Ladyman, J., Linnebo, Ø., Pettigrew, R. (2012) Identity and discernibility in philosophy and logic. Review of Symbolic Logic 5.1: pp. 162-86 CrossRef
- Muller, F.A. (2011) How to defeat Wüthrich’s Abysmal embarrassment argument against space-time structuralism. Philosophy of Science 78: pp. 1046-1057 CrossRef
- Muller, F.A., Saunders, S.W. (2008) Discerning fermions. British Journal for the Philosophy of Science 59: pp. 499-548 CrossRef
- Muller, F.A., Seevinck, M.P. (2009) Discerning elementary particles. Philosophy of Science 76: pp. 179-200 CrossRef
- Quine, W.v.O. (1976) Grades of discriminability. Journal of Philosophy 73: pp. 113-116 CrossRef
- Saunders, S. (2003). Physics and Leibniz’s principles. In: K. Brading, E. Castellani (eds.), Symmetries in physics: Philosophical reflections. Cambridge: Cambridge University Press, 2003: 289–307.
- Saunders, S. (2006) Are quantum particles objects?. Logic and Analysis 66.1: pp. 52-63
- On Witness-Discernibility of Elementary Particles
Volume 78, Issue 5 , pp 1133-1142
- Cover Date
- Print ISSN
- Online ISSN
- Springer Netherlands
- Additional Links
- Elementary particles
- Quantum mechanics
- Leibniz’s principle
- Author Affiliations
- 3. Department of Philosophy, 12-14 Gower Street, London, WC1E 6DP, UK
- 1. Faculty of Philosophy, Erasmus University Rotterdam, Burg. Oudlaan 50, H5-10, 3062 PA, Rotterdam, The Netherlands
- 2. Department of Physics & Astronomy, Utrecht University, Utrecht, The Netherlands