Prevalence and Risk Factors Associated with HIV Infection Among Men Having Sex with Men in Ho Chi Minh City, Vietnam
Rent the article at a discountRent now
* Final gross prices may vary according to local VAT.Get Access
To learn more about risk behaviors among men who have sex with men (MSM) in Vietnam and their prevalence of HIV, we conducted a study among MSM in Ho Chi Minh City (HCMC) to determine HIV-1 prevalence and behaviors associated with infection. This consisted of formative (35 MSM) and cross-sectional (600 MSM) studies at 72 sites, including 75 transvestites, 55 bisexuals, 10 sex workers, and 460 other MSM. Only 5.3% cohabited with a wife/girlfriend, but 30% reported ever having sex with a female. Prevalence of HIV was 8%, ranging from 33% in sex workers to 7% among transvestites and other MSM. Injecting drugs, selling sex, being 20–40 years old, having less than 6 years of education, and having more than five male anal sex partners in the past month were associated with being HIV-infected. MSM are an HIV bridge group, and should be included in sentinel surveillance. Targeted interventions should be implemented.
- An Ninh The Gioi [newspaper]. (2001). Male sex activities in HCMC. Vietnam: No 230, May 30, 2001, p. 5 (in Vietnamese).
- An Ninh The Gioi [newspaper]. (2002). Approach direct to gay. Vietnam: No 300, October 10, 2002; p. 16 (in Vietnamese).
- Colby, D. J. (2003). HIV knowledge and risk factors among men who have sex with men in Ho Chi Minh City, Vietnam. Journal of Acquired Immunodeficiency Syndrome, 32, 80–85.
- Lindan, C. P., Lieu, T. X., Giang, L. T., Lap, V. D., Thuc, N. V., Thinh, T., Lurie, P., & Mandel, J. S. (1997). Rising HIV infection rates in Ho Chi Minh City herald emerging AIDS epidemic in Vietnam. AIDS, 11(Suppl 1), S5–S13.
- Nguyen, T. A., Hoang, L. T., Pham, V. Q., & Detels, R. (2001). Risk factors for HIV-1 seropositivity in drug users under 30 years old in Haiphong, Vietnam. Addiction, 96, 405–413. CrossRef
- St. Pierre, M. (1997). Evaluation of SCF (UK) HIV/AIDS prevention programme for men who have sex with men (MSM): Final report. Ho Chi Minh City, Vietnam: SCF (UK).
- Subcommittee for HIV/AIDS Surveillance. (2003). Monthly report on HIV/AIDS in Vietnam. 2003 Report, Hanoi Vietnam.
- Tran, S. D., Williams, A. B., Truong, H. T., & Do, N. H. (1998). Risk factors for HIV seropositivity in a sample of drug users in drug treatment in Ho Chi Minh City, Vietnam. Journal of Acquired Immunodeficiency Syndrome, 17, 283–287.
- Tran, N. T., Detels, R., Nguyen, T. H., Hoang, T. L., & Pham, T. H. N. (2004). Drug use, sexual behaviours and practices among male drug users in Hanoi, Vietnam. International Journal of Drug Policy, 15(3), 182–188. CrossRef
- Wilson, D., & Cawthorne, P. (1999). “Face up to the truth”: helping gay men in Vietnam protect themselves from AIDS. International Journal of Sexually Transmitted Diseases and AIDS, 10, 63–66.
- Prevalence and Risk Factors Associated with HIV Infection Among Men Having Sex with Men in Ho Chi Minh City, Vietnam
AIDS and Behavior
Volume 12, Issue 3 , pp 476-482
- Cover Date
- Print ISSN
- Online ISSN
- Springer US
- Additional Links
- Men having sex with men (MSM)
- Injection drug users (IDUs)
- Commercial sex workers (CSWs)
- Industry Sectors
- Author Affiliations
- 1. National Institute of Hygiene and Epidemiology, Hanoi, Vietnam
- 2. Department of Health Services, Hochiminh City, Vietnam
- 3. Department of Epidemiology, UCLA School of Public Health, Los Angeles, CA, 90095-1772, USA