Sonographically guided puncture of the pancreas: incidence of complications, and risk factors
Rent the article at a discountRent now
* Final gross prices may vary according to local VAT.Get Access
Data yielded by transabdominal ultrasound-guided puncture techniques are valuable for determining the malignancy of inoperable mass lesions of the pancreas. In this study we analyzed the incidence of complications and the risk factors.
A total of 430 punctures of the pancreas were performed for 281 patients. Risk factors were prospectively assessed and complications were recorded. All punctures were sonographically guided.
The 281 patients underwent a total of 351 puncture procedures including 430 punctures and 901 passes. The maximum diameter of the pancreatic mass lesion was documented; the mean diameter was 48.3 ± 29.1 mm. 75.8 % of punctures were performed with a needle diameter of 0.7–0.95 mm, and 23.0 % of punctures were performed as cutting biopsies producing a tissue sample 1.2 or 1.6 mm in diameter. In 77.8 % of punctures, one puncture was performed, and in 21.9 %, two punctures were performed. Three punctures were performed for one patient (0.3 %) only. The incidence of major complications was 0.3 %. None of the assessed risk factors was associated with an elevated incidence of complications.
Our findings demonstrate the safety of transabdominal percutaneous puncture of the pancreas but do not enable conclusions to be drawn with regard to individual risk factors.
- Winter TC, Lee FT Jr, Hinshaw JL. Ultrasound-guided biopsies in the abdomen and pelvis. Ultrasound Q. 2008;24:45–68. CrossRef
- Ojalehto M, Tikkakoski T, Rissanen T, et al. Ultrasound-guided percutaneous thoracoabdominal biopsy. Acta Radiol. 2002;43:152–8.
- Atwell TD, Gorman B, Larson TS, et al. Pancreas transplants: experience with 232 percutaneous US-guided biopsy procedures in 88 patients. Radiology. 2004;231:845–9. CrossRef
- Frieser M, Lindner A, Meyer S, et al. Spectrum and bleeding complications of sonographically guided interventions of the liver and pancreas. Ultraschall Med. 2009;30:168–74. CrossRef
- Hajdu EO, Kumari-Subaiya S, Phillips G. Ultrasonically guided percutaneous aspiration biopsy of the pancreas. Semin Diagn Pathol. 1986;3:166–75.
- Klassen DK, Weir MR, Cangro CB, et al. Pancreas allograft biopsy: safety of percutaneous biopsy-results of a large experience. Transplantation. 2002;73:553–5. CrossRef
- Malek SK, Potdar S, Martin JA, et al. Percutaneous ultrasound-guided pancreas allograft biopsy: a single-center experience. Transplant Proc. 2005;37:4436–7. CrossRef
- Cadranel JF, Rufat P, Degos F. Practices of liver biopsy in France: results of a prospective nationwide survey. For the Group of Epidemiology of the French Association for the Study of the Liver (AFEF). Hepatology. 2000;32:477–81. CrossRef
- Matsubara J, Okusaka T, Morizane C, et al. Ultrasound-guided percutaneous pancreatic tumor biopsy in pancreatic cancer: a comparison with metastatic liver tumor biopsy, including sensitivity, specificity, and complications. J Gastroenterol. 2008;43:225–32. CrossRef
- Soudah B, Fritsch RS, Wittekind C, et al. Value of the cytologic analysis of fine needle aspiration biopsy specimens in the diagnosis of pancreatic carcinomas. Acta Cytol. 1989;33:875–80.
- Di Stasi M, Lencioni R, Solmi L, et al. Ultrasound-guided fine needle biopsy of pancreatic masses: results of a multicenter study. Am J Gastroenterol. 1998;93:1329–33. CrossRef
- Das DK, Bhambhani S, Kumar N, et al. Ultrasound guided percutaneous fine needle aspiration cytology of pancreas: a review of 61 cases. Trop Gastroenterol. 1995;16:101–9.
- Elvin A, Andersson T, Scheibenpflug L, et al. Biopsy of the pancreas with a biopsy gun. Radiology. 1990;176:677–9.
- Karlson BM, Forsman CA, Wilander E, et al. Efficiency of percutaneous core biopsy in pancreatic tumor diagnosis. Surgery. 1996;120:75–9. CrossRef
- Al-Kaisi N, Siegler EE. Fine needle aspiration cytology of the pancreas. Acta Cytol. 1989;33:145–52.
- Hall-Craggs MA, Lees WR. Fine-needle aspiration biopsy: pancreatic and biliary tumors. AJR Am J Roentgenol. 1986;147:399–403.
- Pinto MM, Avila NA, Criscuolo EM. Fine needle aspiration of the pancreas. A five-year experience. Acta Cytol. 1988;32:39–42.
- Brandt KR, Charboneau JW, Stephens DH, et al. CT- and US-guided biopsy of the pancreas. Radiology. 1993;187:99–104.
- Tillou A, Schwartz MR, Jordan PH Jr. Percutaneous needle biopsy of the pancreas: when should it be performed? World J Surg. 1996;20:283–7. CrossRef
- Zech CJ, Helmberger T, Wichmann MW, et al. Large core biopsy of the pancreas under CT fluoroscopy control: results and complications. J Comput Assist Tomogr. 2002;26:743–9. CrossRef
- Terjung B, Lemnitzer I, Dumoulin FL, et al. Bleeding complications after percutaneous liver biopsy. An analysis of risk factors. Digestion. 2003;67:138–45. CrossRef
- Sporea I, Popescu A, Sirli R. Why, who and how should perform liver biopsy in chronic liver diseases. World J Gastroenterol. 2008;14:3396–402. CrossRef
- Froehlich F, Lamy O, Fried M, et al. Practice and complications of liver biopsy. Results of a nationwide survey in Switzerland. Dig Dis Sci. 1993;38:1480–4. CrossRef
- Thampanitchawong P, Piratvisuth T. Liver biopsy: complications and risk factors. World J Gastroenterol. 1999;5:301–4.
- Gunneson TJ, Menon KV, Wiesner RH, et al. Ultrasound-assisted percutaneous liver biopsy performed by a physician assistant. Am J Gastroenterol. 2002;97:1472–5. CrossRef
- Chuah SY, Moody GA, Wicks AC, et al. A nationwide survey of liver biopsy—is there a need to increase resources, manpower and training? Hepatogastroenterology. 1994;41:4–8.
- Chevallier P, Ruitort F, Denys A, et al. Influence of operator experience on performance of ultrasound-guided percutaneous liver biopsy. Eur Radiol. 2004;14:2086–91. CrossRef
- Smith EH. Complications of percutaneous abdominal fine-needle biopsy. Review. Radiology. 1991;178:253–8.
- Ryd W, Hagmar B, Eriksson O. Local tumour cell seeding by fine-needle aspiration biopsy. A semiquantitative study. Acta Pathol Microbiol Immunol Scand A. 1983;91:17–21.
- Fornari F, Civardi G, Cavanna L, et al. Complications of ultrasonically guided fine-needle abdominal biopsy. Results of a multicenter Italian study and review of the literature. The Cooperative Italian Study Group. Scand J Gastroenterol. 1989;24:949–55. CrossRef
- Kim SH, Lim HK, Lee WJ, et al. Needle-tract implantation in hepatocellular carcinoma: frequency and CT findings after biopsy with a 19.5-gauge automated biopsy gun. Abdom Imaging. 2000;25:246–50. CrossRef
- Silva MA, Hegab B, Hyde C, et al. Needle track seeding following biopsy of liver lesions in the diagnosis of hepatocellular cancer: a systematic review and meta-analysis. Gut. 2008;57:1592–6. CrossRef
- Sonographically guided puncture of the pancreas: incidence of complications, and risk factors
Journal of Medical Ultrasonics
Volume 40, Issue 1 , pp 19-26
- Cover Date
- Print ISSN
- Online ISSN
- Springer Japan
- Additional Links
- Industry Sectors
- Author Affiliations
- 1. Department of Internal Medicine I, University Hospital Ulm, Albert-Einstein-Allee 23, 89081, Ulm, Germany
- 2. Brecksville Division, Louis Stokes Cleveland Department of Veterans Affairs Medical Center, 10000 Brecksville Road, Brecksville, OH, 44141, USA