The Era of Management Is Over
- Donald LudwigAffiliated withDepartment of Mathematics, University of British Columbia, Vancouver, British Columbia V6T 1Z2, Canada
Rent the article at a discountRent now
* Final gross prices may vary according to local VAT.Get Access
The management paradigm fails when confronted with complex problems where there are no clearly defined objectives and a plethora of mutually contradictory approaches, each of which is plausible in a particular frame of reference. The notion of the disinterested expert cannot withstand scrutiny, and putative experts must earn public trust. Scientists must be prepared to share their advisory and decision-making roles with a variety of interested parties and participate with them on an equal footing.
- The Era of Management Is Over
Volume 4, Issue 8 , pp 758-764
- Cover Date
- Print ISSN
- Additional Links
- Key words: environmental management; radical uncertainty; technocracy; science and values; wicked problems.
- Donald Ludwig (A1)
- Author Affiliations
- A1. Department of Mathematics, University of British Columbia, Vancouver, British Columbia V6T 1Z2, Canada, CA