Prognostic nutritional Index: A tool to predict the biological aggressiveness of gastric carcinoma
Rent the article at a discountRent now
* Final gross prices may vary according to local VAT.Get Access
The prognostic nutritional index (PNI), which is calculated based on the serum albumin concentration and the peripheral blood lymphocyte count, has been used to assess the immunological and nutritional condition of patients with digestive diseases. However, its value as an indicator of aggressiveness in gastric carcinoma has not been fully investigated.
Two hundred and forty-eight cases of gastric carcinoma were studied with regard to the relationship between the preoperative PNI value and the clinicopathological characteristics of the patients.
A lower preoperative PNI value significantly correlated with greater tumor depth, lymph node metastasis, lymphatic permeation, and venous invasion. Moreover, the PNI value proved to be an independent prognostic indicator in gastric carcinoma.
The PNI value can be a useful tool to predict the prognosis of patients with gastric carcinoma.
- Mihmanli M, Dilege E, Demir U, Coskun H, Eroglu T, Uysalol MD. The use of tumor markers as predictors of prognosis in gastric cancer. Hepatogastroenterology 2004;51:1544–1547.
- Ebert MP, Röcken C. Molecular screening of gastric cancer by proteome analysis. Eur J Gastroenterol Hepatol 2006;18:847–853. CrossRef
- Ikeguchi M, Miyake T, Matsunaga T, Yamamoto M, Fukumoto Y, Yamada Y, et al. Recent results of therapy for scirrhous gastric cancer. Surg Today 2009;39:290–294. CrossRef
- Onodera T, Goseki N, Kosaki G. Prognostic nutritional index in gastrointestinal surgery of malnourished cancer patients (in Japanese with an English abstract). Nippon Geka Gakkai Zasshi 1984;85:1001–1005.
- Nozoe T, Kimura Y, Ishida M, Saeki H, Korenaga D, Sugimachi K. Correlation of preoperative nutritional condition with postoperative complications in surgical treatment for oesophageal carcinoma. Eur J Surg Oncol 2002;28:396–400. CrossRef
- Takushima Y, Abe H, Yamashita S. Evaluation of prognostic nutritional index (PNI) as a prognostic indicator in multimodal treatment for gynecological cancer patients (in Japanese with an English abstract). Gan To Kagaku Ryoho 1994;21:679–682.
- Japanese Gastric Cancer Association. Japanese Classification of Gastric Carcinoma. 2nd English Edition. Gastric Cancer 1998;1:10–24. CrossRef
- Karcz W, Głuszek S, Kot M, Matykiewicz J. Influence of nutritional treatment on the postoperative course in patients with gastric cancer. Adv Med Sci 2006;51:278–282.
- Buzby GP, Mullen JL, Matthews DC, Hobbs CL, Rosato EF. Prognostic nutritional index in gastrointestinal surgery. Am J Surg 198;139:160–167.
- Nozoe T, Anai H, Sugimachi K. Usefulness of reconstruction with jejunal pouch in total gastrectomy for gastric cancer in early improvement of nutritional condition. Am J Surg 2001;181:274–278. CrossRef
- Lien YC, Hsieh CC, Wu YC, Hsu HS, Hsu WH, Wang LS, et al. Preoperative serum albumin level is a prognostic indicator for adenocarcinoma of the gastric cardia. J Gastrointest Surg 2004;8:1041–1048. CrossRef
- Oñate-Ocaña LF, Aiello-Crocifoglio V, Gallardo-Rincón D, Herrera-Goepfert R, Brom-Valladares R, Carrillo JF, et al. Serum albumin as a significant prognostic factor for patients with gastric carcinoma. Ann Surg Oncol 2007;14:381–389. CrossRef
- Nozoe T, Matsumata T, Sugimachi K. Preoperative elevation of serum C-reactive protein is related to impaired immunity in patients with colorectal cancer. Am J Clin Oncol 2000;23:263–266.
- Delmore G. Assessment of nutritional status in cancer patients: widely neglected? Support Care Cancer 1997;5:376–380. CrossRef
- Prognostic nutritional Index: A tool to predict the biological aggressiveness of gastric carcinoma
Volume 40, Issue 5 , pp 440-443
- Cover Date
- Print ISSN
- Online ISSN
- Springer Japan
- Additional Links
- Gastric carcinoma
- Prognostic nutritional index
- Prognostic indicator
- Industry Sectors