Osteoporosis fracture liaison experience: the Belfast experience
Rent the article at a discountRent now
* Final gross prices may vary according to local VAT.Get Access
Osteoporotic fractures are associated with substantial morbidity and mortality and as a consequence incur a heavy financial burden, with a current cost to the National Health Service in excess of £ 1 billion . Among those at greatest risk are patients with osteoporosis who have already sustained a fracture .
We have previously reported on the current failure of appropriate targeted therapy for these fracture patients in Northern Ireland (Northern Ireland Colles Fracture Study) . The silent nature of osteoporosis makes a diagnosis prior to fracture difficult, and attendance at a fracture clinic may be the first opportunity to diagnose this condition and to intervene with appropriate treatment.
In April 2003 a fracture liaison service commenced with the appointment of a fracture liaison nursing sister. The responsibility of the nurse included:
Liaison and attendance at out-patient fracture clinics to ensure patients presenting with low trauma fragility fractures were as ...
- Dolan, P, Torgerson, DJ (1998) The cost of treating osteoporotic fractures in the United Kingdom female population. Osteoporos Int 8: pp. 611-617 CrossRef
- Ross, PD, Davis, JW, Epstein, RS, Wasnich, RD (1991) Pre-existing fractures and bone mass predict vertebral fracture incidence in women. Osteoporos Int 114: pp. 919-923
- Beringer TRO, Finch MB, Taggart HMcA, Whitehead E, McQuilken M, McNally C, Keegan DAJ, Kelly J, Lee G, McKane R (2004) A study of bone mineral density in women with forearm fracture in Northern Ireland. Osteoporosis Int (in press)
- McLellan, AR, Gallacher, SJ, Fraser, M, McQuillian, C (2003) The fracture liaison service: success of a program for the evaluation and management of patients with osteoporotic fracture. Osteoporos Int 14: pp. 1028-1034
- Klotzbuecher, CM, Ross, PD, Landsman, PB, Abbott, TA, Berger, M (2000) Patients with prior fractures have an increased risk of future fractures: a summary of the literature and statistical synthesis. J Bone Miner Res 15: pp. 721-739
- Clinical guidelines for prevention and treatment. Update on pharmacological interventions and an algorithm for management.. Royal College of Physicians, London
- Osteoporosis fracture liaison experience: the Belfast experience
Volume 25, Issue 6 , pp 489-490
- Cover Date
- Print ISSN
- Online ISSN
- Additional Links
- Industry Sectors
- Author Affiliations
- 1. Rheumatology Department, Musgrave Park Hospital, Belfast, BT9, Northern Ireland
- 2. Orthopaedic Department, Musgrave Park Hospital, Belfast, BT9, Northern Ireland
- 3. Elderly Care Department, Musgrave Park Hospital, Belfast, BT9, Northern Ireland