Parental divorce and adult longevity
Rent the article at a discountRent now
* Final gross prices may vary according to local VAT.Get Access
Life course research has established associations between adverse childhood events and later life health. We examine the relationship of experiencing parental divorce before the age of 16 and survival across 34 years of adulthood.
Analysis of panel data from a USA-based survey of 6,928 adults residing in Alameda County, California in 1965. Cox regression was used to examine associations between parental divorce and longevity.
Controlling for age, race/ethnicity, gender, and childhood socioeconomic position, respondents who recalled a parental divorce during childhood had increased risk of mortality compared to those with no separation. The association was stronger for premature mortality and deaths due to cardiovascular disease. Divorce in childhood was also associated with lowered adult education, fewer social network ties, more depression, and worse health practices. These factors appeared to explain the association with longevity.
Parental divorce in childhood is associated with lowered well-being in adulthood and long-term survival. Early prevention and health promotion efforts may be warranted for children who experience parental divorce or discord as a means of supporting enhanced trajectories of health and well-being.
- Parental divorce and adult longevity
International Journal of Public Health
Volume 58, Issue 1 , pp 89-97
- Cover Date
- Print ISSN
- Online ISSN
- SP Birkhäuser Verlag Basel
- Additional Links
- Parent divorce
- Health habits
- Industry Sectors
- Author Affiliations
- 1. UCLA Center for Healthier Children, Families, and Communities, 10990 Wilshire Boulevard, Suite 900, Los Angeles, CA, 90024, USA
- 2. Department of Pediatrics, David Geffen School of Medicine, UCLA, Los Angeles, CA, USA
- 3. Department of Health Services, School of Public Health, UCLA, Los Angeles, CA, USA
- 4. Department of Public Policy, School of Public Affairs, UCLA, Los Angeles, CA, USA