Rent the article at a discountRent now
* Final gross prices may vary according to local VAT.Get Access
A theory of the insulator-metal transition in transition-metal compounds is developed in terms of the collapse of the effective energy gap which is a function of the thermally excited electron-hole pairs. This dependence is shown to arise from the hole-lattice interaction. The reaction of the lattice is found to be equivalent to generating an internal positive pressure (strain). Estimates show that the observed typical behaviour of the conductivity jump and the change of volume at the transition temperature can be explained by the present theory.
- Adler, D...IBM Journal of Research and Development, 1970,14, 261. CrossRef
- — and Brooks, H...Phys. Rev., 1967,155, 826. CrossRef
- Austin, I. G. and Mott, N. F.Science, 1970,168, 71. CrossRef
- Dernier, P...J. Physics Chem. Solids, 1970,31, 2569. CrossRef
- Doniach, S...Adv. in Phys., 1969,18, 819. CrossRef
- Falicov, L. N. and Kimball, J. C.Phys. Rev. Letters, 1969,22, 997. CrossRef
- Frohlich, H...Quantum Theory of Atoms, Molecules and the Solid State, Edited by P. O. Lowdin, (Academic Press, New York), 1966.
- Hubbard, J...Proc. Roy. Soc., 1969,281 A, 401.
- Hyland, G. I...J. Phys. C. 1, 1968, 189;Phil. Mag., 1969,20, 839. CrossRef
- McWhan, D. B. and Rice, T. M.Phys. Rev. Letters, 1969,22, 887;IBM Journal of Research, 1970,14, 251. CrossRef
- Mott, N. F...Phil. Mag., 1969,20, 1. CrossRef
- Ramirez, R, Falicov, L. M. and Kimball, J. C...Phys. Rev. B., 1970,2, 3383. CrossRef
- Slater, J. C...Phys. Rev., 1951,82, 538. CrossRef
- Ziman, J. M...Electrons and Phonons, Clarendon Press, Oxford, 1960.
- Insulator-metal transition
Proceedings of the Indian Academy of Sciences - Section A
Volume 73, Issue 6 , pp 313-323
- Cover Date
- Print ISSN
- Springer India
- Additional Links
- Industry Sectors