Establishment and characterization of chicken embryo fibroblast clone LSCC-H32
Rent the article at a discountRent now
* Final gross prices may vary according to local VAT.Get Access
Cell line CEC-32 and clone LSCC-H32 were established from primary chicken embryo cells spontaneously but not experimentally transformed at 32° C. The lines consisted of fibroblastoid and polygonal cells and had a subtetraploid karyotype of 2N=130 to 140. The cells showed increased plating efficiency and metabolic activities as demonstrated by hexose uptake and plasminogen activator assay. The established cells produced avian lymphoid leukosis viruses of subgroups A and B. The virus released from LSCC-H32 cells induced lymphoid leukosis in inoculated chickens 18 to 22 wk post infection (PI). The cells have been carried in continuous culture for 285 passages and they appeared to grow indefinitely. They were efficiently used to propagate several animal viruses and to titrate chicken interferon.
- Hihara, H.; Shimizu, T.; Yamamoto, H. Cultivation and some properties of tumor cells from chickens with avian lymphoid leukosis. Jpn. J. Vet. Sci., Suppl. 168; 1970.
- Siegfried, L. M.; Olson, C. Characteristics of the avian transmissible lymphoid tumor cells maintained in culture. J. Natl. Cancer Inst. 48: 791–795; 1972.
- Akiyama, Y.; Kato, S. Two cell lines from lymphoma of Marek’s. Biken J. 17: 105–116; 1974.
- Powell, P. C.; Payne, L. N.; Frazier, J. A.; Rennie, A. Tlymphoblastoid cell line from Marek’s disease lymphomas. Nature 251: 79–80; 1974. CrossRef
- Beug, H.; Graf, Th. Isolation of clonal strains of chicken embryo fibroblasts. Exp. Cell Res. 107: 417–428; 1977. CrossRef
- Gey, G. O.; Svotelis, M.; Foard, M.; Bang, F. B. Long-term growth of chicken embryo fibroblasts on a collagen substrate. Exp. Cell Res. 84: 63–71; 1974. CrossRef
- Witter, R. L. et al. A proposed method for designating avian cell lines and transplantable tumors. Avian Pathol. 8: 487–498; 1979. CrossRef
- Langlois, A. M.; Ishizaki, R.; Beaudreau, G. S.; Kummer, J. F.; Beard, J. W.; Bolognesi, D. P. Virus-infected avian cell lines established in vitro. Cancer Res. 36: 3884–3904; 1976.
- Dinowitz, M. A continuous line of Rous sarcoma virus-transformed chick embryo cells. J. Natl. Cancer Inst. 58: 307–312; 1977.
- Franklin, R. B.; Kang, C. Y.; van Katherine, M. M.; Bose, H. R., Jr. Transformation of chick embryo fibroblasts by reticuloendotheliosis virus. Virology 8: 313–321; 1977. CrossRef
- Rubin, H. A substance in conditioned medium which enhances the growth of small numbers of chick embryo cells. Exp. Cell Res. 41: 138–148; 1966. CrossRef
- Moorhead, P. S.; Nowell, P. C.; Mellmann, W. J.; Hungerford, D. A. Chromosome preparations in leukocytes cultured from human peripheral blood. Exp. Cell Res. 20: 613–615; 1960. CrossRef
- Rifkin, D. B.; Pollack, R. E. Production of plasminogen activator by established cell lines of mouse origin. J. Cell. Biol. 73: 47–55; 1977. CrossRef
- Martin, S. S.; Venuta, S.; Weber, M.; Rubin, H. Temperature-dependent alterations in sugar transport in cells infected by a temperature-sensitive mutant of RSV. Proc. Natl. Acad. Sci. USA 68: 2739–2741; 1971. CrossRef
- Boscheck, C. B.; Jockusch, B. M.; Friis, R. R.; Back, R.; Grundmann, E.; Bauer, H. Early changes in the distribution and organization of microfilament proteins during cell transformation. Cell 24: 175–184; 1981. CrossRef
- Chubb, R. E.; Churchill, A. E. Precipitating antibodies associated with Marek’s disease. Vet. Rec. 83: 4–7; 1968.
- Crittenden, L. B.; Eagen, D. A.; Gulvas, F. A. Assays for endogenous and exogenous lymphoid leukosis viruses and chick helper factor with RSV (−) cell lines. Infect. Immun. 24: 379–386; 1979.
- Okazaki, W.; Purchase, H. G.; Burmester, B. R. Phenotypic mixing test to detect and assay avian leukosis viruses. Avian Dis. 19: 311–317; 1975. CrossRef
- Bauer, G.; Temin, H. M. Pheasant virus DNA polymerase is related to avian leukosis virus DNA polymerase at the active site. J. Virol. 32: 78–90; 1979.
- Vogt, P. K. Focus assay of Rous sarcoma virus. Habel, K.; Salzman, N., eds. Fundamental techniques in virology. New York: Academic Press; 1969; 198–211.
- Lowry, O. M.; Rosebrough, N. J.; Farr, A. L.; Randall, R. J. Protein measurements with the folin phenol reagent. J. Biol. Chem. 193: 265–275; 1951.
- Edelmann, G. M.; Yahara, I. Temperature-sensitive changes in the surface modulation assemblies of fibroblasts transformed by mutants of Rous sarcoma virus. Proc. Natl. Acad. Sci. USA 73: 2047–2051; 1976. CrossRef
- Graf, Th.; Beug, H. Avian leukemia viruses. Interaction with their target cells in vivo and in vitro. Biochem. Biophys. Acta 516: 269–299; 1978.
- Oker-Blom, N.; Kallio, A.; Hartling, L. Morphological changes in chick embryo cell cultures induced by avian leukosis viruses. Intervirology 5: 342–353; 1975.
- Payne, L. N.; Biggs, P. M. Genetic resistance of fowl to MH2 reticuloendotheliosis virus. J. Gen. Virol. 7: 177–185; 1970. CrossRef
- Establishment and characterization of chicken embryo fibroblast clone LSCC-H32
In Vitro - Plant
Volume 18, Issue 10 , pp 827-834
- Cover Date
- Print ISSN
- Online ISSN
- Additional Links
- chicken embryo cell line
- avian retrovirus
- Industry Sectors