Errors in crack closure measurements caused by flexure test fixture support effects
Rent the article at a discountRent now
* Final gross prices may vary according to local VAT.Get Access
Flexural tests are sometimes used for the evaluation of fatigue and fracture properties, especially for thin cross sections such as plate material where compact tension speciments cannot be used, or where material thicness is limited in the direction required for data generation. The method is also useful for evaluation of crack closure provided the force transfer occurs correctly. This paper shows how the influence of incorrect test fixture supports, which are outside the standard testing arrangement for such test specimens, can affect the force-displacement curves as evidenced using the backface strain method. The results show that incorrect test fixture supports may cause deviations in the force-displacement trace as an artifact of the testing conditions. This effect can severely influence crack closure measurements. The effect was also modeled with finite element analysis.
- Hoagland, R.G., Marshall, C.W., andDuckworth, W.H., “Reduction of Errors in Ceramic Bend Tests,”J. Am. Cer. Soc.,56 (5–6),189–192 (1976).
- “Determination of Plane Strain Fracture Toughness,” BS EN ISO 1237, British Standards Institution (1999).
- Choi, S.R. andSalem, J.A., “Errors Identified As Hysteresis in Flexure Testing of Advanced Ceramics,”Scripta Materalia,35,491–494 (1996).
- Deans, W.F. andRichards, C.E., “A Simple and Sensitive Method of Monitoring Crack and Load in Compact Fracture Mechanics Specimen Using Strain Gages,”J. Test. Eval.,7 (3),147–154 (1979).
- Salem, J.A. andGhosn, L.S., “Back Face Strain As a Method for Monitoring Stable Crack Extension in Ceramics,”Cer. Eng. Sci. Proc.,19A,587–594 (1998).
- Salem, J.A., Ghosn, L.J., and Jenkins, M.G., “A Strain Gage Technique to Measure Stable Crack Extension in Ceramics,” Society for Experimental Mechanics Spring Conference on Experimental Mechanics (1997).
- Elber, W., “The Significance of Fatigue Crack Closure,”Damage Tolerance in Aicraft Structures.ASTM STP 486.American Society for Testing and Materials, Philadelphia, 230–242 (1971).
- James, M.J. andKnott, J.F., “Critical Aspecets of the Characterisation of Crack Tip Closure by Compliance Technique,”Mat. Sci. Eng.,72,1–4 (1985). CrossRef
- Errors in crack closure measurements caused by flexure test fixture support effects
Volume 41, Issue 1 , pp 47-51
- Cover Date
- Print ISSN
- Online ISSN
- Kluwer Academic Publishers
- Additional Links
- Flexural bend testing
- fatigue crack closure
- back-face strain
- strain gage techniques
- Industry Sectors