Outreach to homeless mentally ill people: Conceptual and clinical considerations
Rent the article at a discountRent now
* Final gross prices may vary according to local VAT.Get Access
This paper describes a model of outreach predicated on developing a trusting, meaningful relationship between the outreach worker and the homeless person with mental illness. We describe five common tasks inherent in this model of outreach (establishing contact and credibility, identifying people with mental illness, engaging clients, conducting assessments and treatment planning, and providing ongoing service). Other issues discussed include: (a) Responding to dependency needs and promoting autonomy; (b) setting limits while maintaining flexibility; (c) resistance to mental health treatment and follow-up service options.
- Ageriou, M., & McCarthy, D. (Eds.). (1990). Treating alcoholism and drug abuse among homeless men and women: Nine community demonstration grants.Alcoholism Treatment Quarterly, 7(1), 1–164.
- Axleroad, S.F., Toff, G.E. (1987) Outreach services for homeless mentally ill people. National Institute of Mental Health, Rockville, MD
- Cohen, M.B. (1988, May). Clinical practice with formerly homeless, chronically mentally ill women. Paper presented at the 141st Annual Meeting of the American Psychiatric Association, Montreal.
- Farr, R., Koegel, P., Burnam, A. (1986) A study of homelessness and mental illness in the skid row area of Los Angeles. Los Angeles County Department of Mental Health, Los Angeles
- Hopper, K., Mauch, D., Morse, G. (1990) The 1986–1987 NIMH-funded CSP demonstration projects to serve homeless mentally ill persons: A preliminary assessment. National Institute of Mental Health, Rockville, MD
- Inderlin, B.J., Belisle, K.C. (1991) From dualism to integration: The consolidation of services for persons with dual diagnosis. Psychosocial Rehabilitation Journal 15: pp. 99-103
- Kanter, J.S. Case Management of the Young Adult Chronic Patient: A Clinical Perspective. In: Kanter, J.S. eds. (1985) Clinical issues in treating the chronic mentally ill. Jossey-Bass, San Francisco, pp. 77-92
- McKelvy, M.J., Kane, J.S., Kellison, K. (1987) Substance abuse and mental illness: Double trouble. Journal of Psychosocial Nursing 25: pp. 20-25
- Mendel, W.M. (1978) The management of dependency in psychotherapy: Part II: The chronically psychotic patient. Weekly Psychiatric Update Series 2: pp. 2-6
- Morse, G. (1987, October). Conceptual overview of mobile outreach for persons who are homeless and mentally ill. Paper presented at the 115th Annual meeting of the American Public Health Association, New Orleans, LA.
- Morse, G.A., Calsyn, R.J., Allen, G., Tempelhoff, B., Smith, R. (1992) Experimental comparison of the effects of three treatment programs for homeless mentally ill people. Hospital and Community Psychiatry 43: pp. 1005-1010
- Outreach Services for Homeless Mentally Ill Persons. Policy Research Associates, Inc., Delmar, NY
- Osher, F.C., Kofoed, L.L. (1989) Treatment of patients with psychiatric and psychoactive substance abuse disorders. Hospital and Community Psychiatry 40: pp. 1025-1030
- Rog, D.J. (1988) Engaging homeless persons with mental illness into treatment. National Mental Health Association, Alexandria, VA
- Segal, S., Baumohl, J. (1985) News and views: The community living room. Social Casework 66: pp. 111-116
- Sonde, D. Outreach and engagement. In: Lezak, A. eds. (1989) Integrating primary health care, alcohol, and other drug abuse and mental health services for the homeless. The National Association of Community Health Centers, Inc., Washington, DC
- Stein, L, Test, M. eds. (1985) The training in community living model: A decade of experience. Jossey-Bass, San Francisco, CA
- Susser, E., Goldfinger, S., White, A. (1990) Some clinical approaches to the homeless mentally ill. Community Mental Health Journal 26: pp. 463-480 CrossRef
- Torrey, E.F. (1986) Continuous treatment teams in the care of the chronically mentally ill. Hospital and Community Psychiatry 37: pp. 1243-1247
- Outreach to homeless mentally ill people: Conceptual and clinical considerations
Community Mental Health Journal
Volume 32, Issue 3 , pp 261-274
- Cover Date
- Print ISSN
- Online ISSN
- Kluwer Academic Publishers-Human Sciences Press
- Additional Links