The female sexual response revisited: Understanding the multiorgasmic experience in women
Rent the article at a discountRent now
* Final gross prices may vary according to local VAT.Get Access
Although it has been almost 20 years since recorded evidence of multiple orgasms among women emerged, there have been few recent investigations of this phenomenon. The purpose of this study was to understand further the female multiorgasmic experience in relationship to the method of stimulatory activity, namely, masturbation, petting, and sexual intercourse. In addition, single-orgasmic and multiorgasmic women were compared by examination of various sexual and orgasmic behaviors, the role of sex partners, and perceptions of physiological and psychological sexual satisfaction. An anonymous 122-item questionnaire was utilized to obtain the responses of 805 college-educated female nurses, chosen for their perceived ability to verbalize data regarding the anatomical structures and physiological processes associated with sexual responsiveness. The findings indicated that 42.7% of the respondents had experienced multiple orgasms and that several significant differences existed between single-orgasmic and multiorgasmic women.
- Amberson, J., and Hoon, P. (1985). Hemodynamics of sequential orgasm.Arch. Sex. Behav. 14: 351.360.
- Athanasiou, R., Shaver, P., and Tavris, C. (1970, February). Sex.Psychol. Today. 4: 39–52.
- Bohlen, J. G., Boyer, C. M., Held, J. P., and Sanderson, M. O. (1982). Development of a woman's multiple orgasm pattern: A research case report.J. Sex Res. 18: 130–145.
- Darling, C. A., and Davidson, J. K., Sr. 91986). Enhancing relationships: Understanding the feminine mystique of pretending orgasm.J. Sex marital There. 12: 182–196.
- Denney, N. W., and Quadagno, D. (1988).Human Sexuality Times Mirror/Mosby College Publishing, St. Louise.
- Ellis, H. H. (1936).Studies in the Psychology of Sex The Modern Library, New York.
- Fisher, S. (1973).The female Orgasm Basic Books, new York.
- Fowler, F. J., Jr. (1988).Survey Research Methods Sage, Newbury Park, CA.
- Gebhard, P. H. (1966). Factors in marital orgasm.J. Soc. Issues 22: 88–95.
- Hite, S. (1976).The Hite Report Dell, New York.
- Kilman, P. R. (1984).Human Sexuality in Contemporary Life Allyn and Bacon, Boston.
- Kinsey, A., Pomeroy, W., Martin, C., and Gebhard, P. (1953).Sexual Behavior in the Human Female Saunders, Philadelphia.
- Levin, R., and Wagner, G. (1985). Orgasm in women in the laboratory — Quantitative studies on duration, latency, and vaginal blood flow.Arch. Sex. Behav. 14: 439–429.
- Lief, H. I. (1980, May). Sexual Survey #36: Current thinking on the orgasm experience.Med. Aspects of Hum. Sex. 14: 55–62.
- Masters, W. H., and Johnson, V. E. (1966).Human Sexual Response Little, Brown, Boston.
- Masters, W. H., Johnson, V. E., and Kolodny, R. C. (1988).Human Sexuality 3rd ed., Scott, Foresman, Glenview, IL.
- Offir, C. W. (1982).Human Sexuality Harcourt, Brace Jovanovich, New York.
- Reiss, I. (1986).Journey into Sexuality Prentice-Hall, Englewood Cliffs, NJ.
- Rosen, R., and Beck, J. (1988).Patterns of Sexual Arousal Guilford Press, New York.
- Sherfey, M. J. (1966).The Nature and Evolution of Female Sexuality Random House, New York.
- Terman, L. M. (1951). Correlates of orgasm adequacy in a group of 556 wives.J. Psychol. 32: 115–172.
- Wallin, P., and Clark, A. L. (1963). A study of orgasm as a condition of women's enjoyment of coitus in the middle years of marriage.Hum. Biol. 35: 131–139.
- The female sexual response revisited: Understanding the multiorgasmic experience in women
Archives of Sexual Behavior
Volume 20, Issue 6 , pp 527-540
- Cover Date
- Print ISSN
- Online ISSN
- Kluwer Academic Publishers-Plenum Publishers
- Additional Links
- multiple orgasms
- sexual satisfaction
- sexual intercourse
- female sexuality
- Industry Sectors
- Author Affiliations
- 1. Department of Family, Child, and Consumer Sciences, The Florida State University, 32306, Tallahassee, Florida, USA
- 2. Department of Sociology and Anthropology, University of Wisconsin—Eau Claire, 54702, Eau Claire, Wisconsin, USA
- 3. Department of Health Education, Tallahassee Community College, 32304, Tallahassee, Florida, USA