Analysis of solar radiation pressure induced coupled liberations of a gravity stabilized axisymmetric satellite
Rent the article at a discountRent now
* Final gross prices may vary according to local VAT.Get Access
This paper presents an analysis of solar radiation pressure induced coupled librations of gravity stabilized cylindrical spacecraft with a special reference to geostationary communication satellites. The Lagrangian approach is used to obtain the corresponding equations of motion. The solar induced torques are assumed to be free of librational angles and are represented by their Fourier expansion. The response and periodic solutions are obtained through linear and nonlinear analyses, using the method of harmonic balance in the latter case. The stability conditions are obtained using Routh-Hurwitz criteria. To establish the ranges of validity the analytic response is compared with the numerical solution. Finally, values of the system parameters are suggested to make the satellite behave as desired. Among these is a possible approach to subdue the solar induced roll resonance. It is felt that the approximate analysis presented here should significantly reduce the computational efforts involved in the design and stability analysis of the systems.
- Beletskii, V. V.: 1966, NASA TTF, No. 429.
- Hayashi, C.: 1964, McGraw-Hill, New York.
- Modi, V. J. and Brereton, R. C.: 1969a,AIAA 7, 1217.
- Modi, V. J. and Brereton, R. C.: 1969b,AIAA,7, 1465.
- Modi, V. J. and Flanagan, R. C.: 1971,Aeronaut. J. 75, 783.
- Modi, V. J. and Kumar, K.: 1971, in L. G. Napolitano (ed.),Proceedings of the XXII Congress of the International Astronautical Federation, North-Holland Publ. Co., Amsterdam, Holland.
- Modi, V. J. and Kumar, K.: 1974,AIAA J. 10, 225.
- Modi, V. J. and Neilson, J. E.: 1972,Celes. Mech. 5, 126.
- Modi, V. J. and Pande, K. C.: 1975,Celes. Mech. 11, 195.
- Modi, V. J. and Shrivastava, S. K.: 1972,C.A.S.I. Transactions 5, 5.
- Analysis of solar radiation pressure induced coupled liberations of a gravity stabilized axisymmetric satellite
Volume 20, Issue 3 , pp 297-313
- Cover Date
- Print ISSN
- Online ISSN
- Kluwer Academic Publishers
- Additional Links
- Industry Sectors