A knowledge based interpretation system for EMG abnormalities
Purchase on Springer.com
$39.95 / €34.95 / £29.95*
Rent the article at a discountRent now
* Final gross prices may vary according to local VAT.
The conventional method of diagnosis in electromyography is complex and time consuming, not only due to the large number of parameters, to be considered for diagnosis, but also because of the usual procedure of evaluating the different parameters of EMG signal by visual scanning of the plotted signal. So there is a clear need to make use of computer aided decision support system. In the present work an attempt has been made in the direction of integration into one automated system, the qualitative knowledge of the physician, with possibly sophisticated signal analysis tools which must replace the visual scanning. A software program (in Turbo-C) on a PC-AT has been developed to evaluate the different parameters of MUAP's (motor unit action potential) in a EMG signal. Then an Expert system (in Turbo-Prolog) has been implemented for diagnostic purposes of different muscular abnormalities by making a knowledge base from the different parameters involved in the decision making procedure of clinical electromyography. A hybrid model of rule and frame based Expert system is implemented. An attempt has been made for making a complete system, i.e., for recording, analysis and decision making for diagnosis.
- Williams CE, Lively WM. User perspectives and design considerations for medical expert system. 12th Annual Proc Int Conf IEEE Biomed Eng 1990; 3: 1343–4.
- Glover Jr JR, Ktonas PY, Jansen BH. Knowledge based interpretation of bioelectric signals. IEEE Biomed Eng 1990: 9.
- Coatrieux TL, Toulouse P, Rouvrais B, Lebars R. Automatic classification of EMG signals. Electroencephalogr Clin Neurophysiol 1983; 55: 333–41. CrossRef
- Johnson EW. A practical electromyography. 2nd ed. USA: William and Wilkins 1988.
- Dandapat S. A knowledge based interpretation system for EMG abnormalities. [M. Tech. Dissertation]. India, IT-BHU, 1991.
- Stalberg E, Stalberg S, Melander M, Arimura K. A personal computer based system used in electromyography for interpretation and reporting. Comput Methods Programs Biomed 1991; 34: 219–27. CrossRef
- Brown B Wm, Hollander M. Statistics: A biomedical introduction. NY: John Wiley & Sons, 1977.
- A knowledge based interpretation system for EMG abnormalities
International journal of clinical monitoring and computing
Volume 10, Issue 2 , pp 131-142
- Cover Date
- Print ISSN
- Springer Netherlands
- Additional Links
- rule based