Towards formal specification of a distributed computing system
Rent the article at a discountRent now
* Final gross prices may vary according to local VAT.Get Access
Onboard spacecraft computing system is a case of a functionally distributed system that requires continuous interaction among the nodes to control the operations at different nodes. A simple and reliable protocol is desired for such an application. This paper discusses a formal approach to specify the computing system with respect to some important issues encountered in the design and development of a protocol for the onboard distributed system. The issues considered in this paper are concurrency, exclusiveness and sequencing relationships among the various processes at different nodes. A 6-tuple model is developed for the precise specification of the system. The model also enables us to check the consistency of specification and deadlock caused due to improper specification. An example is given to illustrate the use of the proposed methodology for a typical spacecraft configuration. Although the theory is motivated by a specific application the same may be applied to other distributed computing system such as those encountered in process control industries, power plant control and other similar environments.
- Report Doc. No. INSAT-II-00-84-04-05-11, ISRO Satellite Centre, Bangalore, India (April 1984).
- V. K. Agrawal, L. M. Patnaik and P. S. Goel, Specification and Validation of a Protocol for Real-time Distributed Computing System,Proc. International Conf. on Computers,Systems and Signal Processing, Bangalore, India, pp. 265–269 (December 1984).
- G. L. Lann, On Real-time Distributed Computing,IFIP, pp. 741–753 (1983).
- G. L. Lann, Deterministic Multiple Access Protocol for Real-time Local Area Networks, Report No. 246, (October 1983).
- Chu, W. W., Holway, L. J., Lan, M., Efe, K. (1980) Task Allocation in Distributed Data Processing. IEEE Computer 13: pp. 57-69
- Chou, T. C. K., Abraham, A. (1982) Load Balancing in Distributed Systems. IEEE Trans. Software Eng. SE-8: pp. 401-412
- Kohler, W. (1981) A Survey of Techniques for Synchronization and Recovery in Decentralized Computer Systems. ACM Computing Surveys 13: pp. 149-183
- Kung, H. T., Robinson, J. T. (1981) On Optimistic Methods for Concurrency Control. ACM Trans. Database System 6: pp. 213-226
- S. S. Yau and C. C. Yang, An Approach to Distributed Computing System Software Design,Proc. IEEE Conf. on Distributed Computing Systems, pp. 31–42 (October 1979).
- P. M. Lu and S. S. Yau, A Methodology for Representing the Formal Specification of Distributed Computing System Software Design,Proc. IEEE Conf. on Distributed Computing Systems, pp. 211–221 (October 1979).
- Towards Formal Specification of a Distributed Computing System, Technical Report No. CSS-05-85, ISRO Satellite Centre, Bangalore, India, (April 1985).
- Towards formal specification of a distributed computing system
International Journal of Computer & Information Sciences
Volume 14, Issue 5 , pp 277-306
- Cover Date
- Print ISSN
- Online ISSN
- Kluwer Academic Publishers-Plenum Publishers
- Additional Links
- Distributed computing systems
- protocol design
- onboard computers
- formal specification
- Industry Sectors