School advisory council participation and effectiveness
Rent the article at a discountRent now
* Final gross prices may vary according to local VAT.Get Access
This article is based on a dissertation submitted by Linda G. DePiano to the University of South Carolina in partial fulfillment of the requirements for the PhD degree. We wish to express our appreciation to Tom Cafferty, Frank DePiano, and Ginger McClure for their support and suggestions in conducting this study and to acknowledge the generous cooperation of the South Carolina School Advisory Council Assistance Project and their sponsor, the Charles Stewart Mott Foundation. A special debt of gratitude is owed to Abe Wandersman and Rudolph Moos for their encouragement and feedback during the development of this paper and to Bill Carson who supported our research goals under the most adverse circumstances.
- Riles, W.Establishing school site councils: California school improvement program. Publication of California State Department of Education. Sacramento, California, 1977.
- 2.Educational Accountability Act of 1976: Functions of state education agencies. Chapter 229, Florida, 1976.
- 3. Cone, J.Policy options for local school boards. Implementing the Education Finance Law of 1977. Publication of the South Carolina School Boards Association, 1977.
- 4.Massachusetts draft legislation for local school councils, 1977.
- 5. Lilja, D.Community participation in the Minneapolis public schools. Publication of an Independent Study Committee of Citizens sponsored by the Minneapolis Public Schools and funded by the Minnesota Council on Quality Education, 1975.
- 6. New York State Commission on the quality, cost, and financing of elementary and secondary education.Report on Parent Advisory Councils, 1972.
- 7.The South Carolina Education Finance Act of 1977. Reprinted by the South Carolina Department of Education, July 1977.
- 8. McClure, L. Kimbrell, D., & Andrews, A.Leadership workshops for principals who work with school advisory councils. In progress.
- Arnstein, S. A ladder of citizen participation.American Institute of Planners Journal, July 1969.
- Blake, R. R., & Mouton, J. S.The new managerial grid. Houston: Gulf Publishing, 1978.
- Dachler, H. P., & Wilpert, B. Conceptual dimensions and boundaries of participaton in organizations: A critical evaluation.Administrative Science Quarterly, 1978,23, 1–39.
- Davies, D. Making citizen participation work.National Elementary Principal, 1976,55 (March/April), No. 4. (a)
- Davies, D. Perspectives and future direction. InSchools where parents make a difference. Boston: Institute for Responsive Education, 1976. (b)
- Fiedler, F. E. Engineering the job to fit the manager.Harvard Business Review, 1965,54(5), 115–122.
- Halpin, A. W.Theory and research in administration. New York: Macmillan, 1967.
- Korman, A. K. Consideration, initiating structure and organizational criteria: A review.Personel Psychology, 1966,19 (4), 349–361.
- Langton, S. (Ed.).Citizen participation in America. Lexington Mass.: Heath Books, 1978.
- Mann, D. Political representation and urban school advisory councils.Teachers College Record, 1974,75, February, (3).
- Marburger, C. Parent power.Journal of Current Social Issues, 1976,13, Summer, 10–15.
- Moos, R.Evaluating educational environments. San Francisco: Jossey-Bass, 1979.
- Moos, R., Insel, P., & Humphrey, B.Preliminary manual for family environment scale, work environment scale, group environment scale. Palo Alto: Consulting Psychologists Press, 1974.
- Morrison, J., Holdridge-Craine, S., & Smith, J. E. Citizen participation in community mental health.Community Mental Review, 1978,3(3), 2–9.
- Palmer, P., & Jacobson, E.Action research: A new style of politics in education. Boston: Institute for Responsive Education, 1974.
- Perlman, J. In S. Langton (Ed.),Citizen participation in America. Lexington, Mass.: Heath Books, 1978.
- Sergiovanni, T. J., Metzcus, R., & Burden, L. Toward a pluralistic approach to leadership Style: Some findings.American Educational Research Journal, 1969,6, 62–79.
- Schreisheim, C. A., & Kerr, S. Theories and measures of leadership: A critical appraisal of current and future directions. In J. G. Hunt & L. L. Larson (Eds.),Leadership: The cuttng edge. Carbondale: Southern Illinois University Press, 1977.
- Wandersman, A. User participation in planning environments: A conceptual framework.Environment and Behavior, 1979,11(2), 185–208.
- Wandersman, A. A framework of participation in community organizations.Journal of Applied Behavioral Sciences, 1981,17, 27–58.
- School advisory council participation and effectiveness
American Journal of Community Psychology
Volume 11, Issue 6 , pp 687-704
- Cover Date
- Print ISSN
- Online ISSN
- Kluwer Academic Publishers-Plenum Publishers
- Additional Links
- Industry Sectors