The American image of beauty: Media representations of hair color for four decades
Rent the article at a discountRent now
* Final gross prices may vary according to local VAT.Get Access
The present archival study examined the depiction of women's beauty in our society with respect to hair color, especially blondeness. Raters reliably categorized the hair color of cover models for two women's magazines (Ladies Home Journal and Vogue) and for Playboy magazine centerfolds from the 1950s through the 1980s. These media images from 750 observations were compared among magazines, among decades, and in relation to the proportion of blondes in a normative sample of adult White women. Results revealed that the percentage of blondes in each magazine exceeded the base rate of blondes in the norm group. Blondes were more prevalent in Playboy centerfolds than in the women's magazines. Although temporal patterns varied from magazine to magazine, the average proportion of blondes was lowest in the 1960s and highest in the 1970s. The study's findings have numerous implications for social issues and research regarding the psychology of physical appearance.
- Agras, W. S., & Kirkley, B. G. (1986). Bulimia: Theories of etiology. In K. D. Brownell & J. Foreyt (Eds.), Handbook of eating disorders. New York: Basic Books.
- Berry, D. S., & Zebrowitz-McArthur, L. (1988). The impact of age-related craniofacial changes on social perception. In T. R. Alley (Ed.), Social and applied aspects of perceiving faces. Hillsdale, NJ: Lawrence Erlbaum Associates.
- Brownmiller, S. (1984). Femininity. New York: Fawcett.
- Bull, R., & Rumsey, N. (1988). The social psychology of facial appearance. New York: Springer-Verlag.
- Cash, T. F. (1985). The impact of grooming style on the evaluation of women in management. In M. Solomon (Ed.), The psychology of fashion. Lexington, MA: Lexington Press.
- Cash, T. F. (1987). The psychology of cosmetics: A review of the scientific literature. Social and Behavioral Sciences Documents, 17(1), MS No. 2800.
- Cash, T. F. (1990). The psychology of physical appearance: Aesthetics, attributes, and images. In T. F. Cash & T. Pruzinsky (Eds.), Body images: Development, deviance, and change. New York: Guilford Press.
- Cash, T. F., & Brown, T. A. (1989). Gender and body images: Stereotypes and realities. Sex Roles, 21, 357–369.
- Cash, T. F., Grant, J. R., Schovlin, J. M., & Lewis, R. J. (1992). Are inaccuracies in self-reported weight motivated distortions? Perceptual and Motor Skills, 74, 209–210.
- Cash, T. F., & Pruzinsky, T. (Eds.) (1990). Body images: Development, deviance, and change. New York: Guilford Press.
- Clairol Incorporated. (1990). Clairol professional encyclopedia haircolor. Stamford, CT: Clairol Professional Education Library.
- Clayson, D. E., & Klassen, M. L. (1989). Perception of attractiveness by obesity and haircolor. Perceptual and Motor Skills, 68, 199–202.
- Clayson, D. E., & Maughan, M. R. (1986). Redheads and blonds: Stereotypic images. Psychological Reports, 59, 811–816.
- Cohen, J. (1960). The coefficient of agreement for nominal scales. Educational and Psychological Measurement, 20, 37–46.
- Cross, J., & Cross, J. (1971). Age, sex, race, and the perception of facial beauty. Developmental Psychology, 5, 433–439.
- Cunningham, M. R. (1986). Measuring the physical in physical attractiveness: Quasi-experiments on the sociobiology of female facial beauty. Journal of Personality and Social Psychology, 50, 925–935.
- Fallon, A. (1990). Culture in the mirror: Sociocultural determinants of body image. In T. F. Cash & T. Pruzinsky (Eds.), Body images: Development, deviance, and change. New York: Guilford Press.
- Feinman, S., & Gill, G. W. (1978). Sex differences in physical attractiveness preferences. The Journal of Social Psychology, 105, 43–52.
- Ford, C. S., & Beach, F. A. (1951). Patterns of sexual behavior. New York: Harper & Row.
- Freedman, R. (1986). Beauty bound. Lexington, MA: D. C. Heath.
- Garner, D. M., Garfinkel, P. E., Schwartz, D., & Thompson, M. (1980). Cultural expectations of thinness in women. Psychological Reports, 47, 483–491.
- Graham, J. A., & Jouhar, A. J. (1981). The effects of cosmetics on person perception. International Journal of Cosmetic Science, 3, 199–210.
- Harrison, A. A., & Saeed, L. (1977). Let's make a deal: An analysis of revelations and stipulations in lonely hearts advertisements. Journal of Personality and Social Psychology, 35, 257–264.
- Hatfield, E., & Sprecher, S. (1986). Mirror, mirror .... The importance of looks in everyday life. Albany, NY: SUNY Press.
- Jackson, L. A. (1992). Physical appearance and gender: Sociobiological and sociocultural perspectives. Albany, NY: SUNY Press.
- Jacobi, L., & Cash, T. F. (1992). The description and prediction of self-percepts and ideal-percepts of body image for multiple physical attributes. Unpublished manuscript, Old Dominion University, Norfolk, VA.
- Juni, S., & Roth, M. M. (1985). The influence of hair color on eliciting help: Do blondes have more fun? Social Behavior and Personality, 13, 11–14.
- Kirk, R. E. (1990). Statistics: An introduction (3rd ed.). Forth Worth, TX: Holt, Rinehart and Winston.
- Lawson, E. D. (1971). Hair color, personality, and the observer. Psychological Reports, 28, 311–322.
- Lynn, M., & Shurgot, B. A. (1984). Responses to lonely hearts advertisements: Effects of reported physical attractiveness, physique, and coloration. Personality and Social Psychology Bulletin, 10, 349–357.
- Mazur, A. (1986). U. S. trends in feminine beauty and overadaptation. Journal of Sex Research, 22, 281–303.
- Morris, D. (1985). Bodywatching. New York: Crown.
- Silverstein, B., Perdue, L., Peterson, B., & Kelly, E. (1986). The role of the mass media in promoting a thin standard of bodily attractiveness for women. Sex Roles, 14, 519–523.
- Wolf, N. (1991). The beauty myth: How images of beauty are used against women. New York: Morrow.
- The American image of beauty: Media representations of hair color for four decades
Volume 29, Issue 1-2 , pp 113-124
- Cover Date
- Print ISSN
- Online ISSN
- Kluwer Academic Publishers-Plenum Publishers
- Additional Links
- Industry Sectors