Influence of Bi3+ ions in enhancing the magnitude of positive temperature coefficients of resistance in n-BaTiO3 ceramics
Rent the article at a discountRent now
* Final gross prices may vary according to local VAT.Get Access
Bi3+ ions substituting at Ba-sites in a limited concentration range with another donor dopant occupying the Ti-sites in polycrystalline BaTiO3 enhanced the positive temperature coefficient of resistance (PTCR) by over seven orders of magnitude. These ceramics did not require normal post sinter annealing or a change to an oxygen atmosphere during annealing. These ceramics had low porosities coupled with better stabilities to large applied electric fields and chemically reducing atmospheres. Bi3+ ions limited the grain growth to less than 8 Μm in size, they enhanced the concentration of acceptor-type trap centres at the grain-boundary-layer regions and maintained complete tetragonality at low grain sizes in BaTiO3 ceramics.
- Heywang, W. (1971) J. Mater. Sci. 6: pp. 1214
- Saburi, O., Waking, K. (1963) IEEE Trans. Comp. Parts 10: pp. 53
- Ueoka, H., Yodogawa, M. (1974) IEEE Trans. Manuf. Technol. 3: pp. 77
- Ueoka, H. (1974) Ferroelectrics 7: pp. 351
- M. KUWABARA, “Advances in ceramics”, edited by H. Y. Yan and D. C. Hill, Vol. 7 (1984) pp. 137–45.
- Ashida, T., Toyoda, H. (1966) Jpn. J. Appl. Phys. 5: pp. 269
- Jonker, G. H. (1967) Mater. Res. Bull. 2: pp. 401
- B. S. RAWAL, M. KAHN and W. R. BUESSEM, “Advances in ceramics” edited by L. M. Levinson and D. C. Hill, Vol. 1 (1981) pp. 172–88.
- Murugaraj, P., Kutty, T. R. N. (1985) Mater. Res. Bull. 20: pp. 1473
- Bogdanov, S. V., Kiseleva, K. V., Rassushin, V. A. (1965) Sov. Phys. Cryst. 10: pp. 58
- Murugaraj, P., Kutty, T. R. N., Subbarao, M. (1986) J. Mater. Sci. 21: pp. 3521
- Murugaraj, P., Kutty, T. R. N. (1986) J. Mater. Sci. Lett. 5: pp. 171
- Kutty, T. R. N., Murugaraj, P., Gajbhiye, N. S. (1984) Mater. Lett. 2: pp. 396
- Idem. T. R. N. KUTTY, P. MURUGARAJ and N. S. GAJBHIYE, Mater. Res. Bull. 20 (1985) 565.
- Idem. T. R. N. KUTTY, P. MURUGARAJ and N. S. GAJBHIYE, Mater. Lett. 3 (1985) 195.
- Kutty, T. R. N., Murugaraj, P. (1987) J. Mater Sci. 22: pp. 3652
- Wells, A. F. (1975) Structural inorganic chemistry. Oxford University Press, Oxford
- Influence of Bi3+ ions in enhancing the magnitude of positive temperature coefficients of resistance in n-BaTiO3 ceramics
Journal of Materials Science: Materials in Electronics
Volume 5, Issue 4 , pp 203-209
- Cover Date
- Print ISSN
- Online ISSN
- Kluwer Academic Publishers
- Additional Links
- Industry Sectors