A simple model of neutrally stratified boundary-layer flow over real terrain incorporating wavenumber-dependent scaling
Rent the article at a discountRent now
* Final gross prices may vary according to local VAT.Get Access
Our experience in applying earlier versions of a model of boundary-layer flow over low hills to real terrain (see Walmsley et al., 1982) has led to the development of a new version which we designate MS3DJH/3. The main improvements are the use of terrain-dependent length and velocity scales and the blending of inner and outer layer results into a single ‘universally valid’ solution for the velocity perturbation field. MS3DJH/3 was carefully calibrated against alternative computations of flow over idealized two-dimensional terrain features using more detailed models prior to its application to real, three-dimensional terrain. It still provides high spatial resolution with low computing cost and is applicable to flow over terrain features with horizontal scales from 10 m to 10 km.
- Deaves, D. M.: 1976, ‘Wind Over Hills: A Numerical Approach’, J. Industrial Aerodynamics 1, 371–391.
- Hunt, J. C. R.: 1980, ‘Wind Over Hills’, in J. C. Wyngaard (ed.), Workshop on the Planetary Boundary Layer, Amer. Meteorol. Soc., Boston, pp. 107–144.
- Jackson, P. S. and Hunt, J. C. R.: 1975, ‘Turbulent Wind Flow over a low Hill’, Quart. J. R. Meteorol. Soc. 101, 929–955.
- Mason, P. J. and Sykes, R. I.: 1979, ‘Flow over an Isolated Hill of Moderate Slope’, Quart. J. R. Meteorol. Soc. 105, 383–395.
- Taylor, P. A.: 1977, ‘Some Numerical Solutions of Surface Boundary-Layer Flow above Gentle Topography’, Boundary-Layer Meteorol. 11, 439–465.
- Townsend, A. A.: 1972, ‘Flow in a Deep Turbulent Boundary-Layer over a Surface Distorted by Water Waves’, J. Fluid Mech. 55, 719–735.
- Walmsley, J. L. and Howard, A. D.: 1983, ‘Application of a Boundary-Layer Model to Flow over a Barchan Sand Dune’, to appear.
- Walmsley, J. L., Salmon, J. R., and Taylor, P. A.: 1982, ‘On the Application of a Model of Boundary-Layer Flow over Low Hills to Real Terrain’, Boundary-Layer Meteorol. 23, 17–46.
- A simple model of neutrally stratified boundary-layer flow over real terrain incorporating wavenumber-dependent scaling
Volume 26, Issue 2 , pp 169-189
- Cover Date
- Print ISSN
- Online ISSN
- Kluwer Academic Publishers
- Additional Links
- Industry Sectors