Identification of soybean strains resistant to Xanthomonas campestris pv. glycines
Rent the article at a discountRent now
* Final gross prices may vary according to local VAT.Get Access
Soybean germplasm was screened for resistance to bacterial pustule disease. The etiological agent, Xanthomonas campestris pv. glycines, was isolated from the leaves of field grown soybean in Maharashtra, India. The screening of soybean stocks was carried out by excised leaf inoculation method. A differential susceptibility to the pathogen was observed in the tested stocks. Two stocks P-4-2 and P-169-3 were found to be completely resistant to the pathogen and displayed an incompatible reaction. Four cultivars, EC-34160, Bragg, Kalitur and PK-472 displayed moderate resistance and the remaining stocks were susceptible to the attack of the pathogen. The stocks P-4-2 and P-169-3 remained resistant even to a high concentration of 109 colony forming units (cfu)/ml of the pathogen.
- Chamberlain, D.W., 1962. Reaction of resistant and susceptible soybeans to Xanthomonas phaseoli var. sojensis. Plant Disease Rep., 46: 707–709.
- Fett, W.F., 1984. Accumulation of isoflavonoids glycosides after inoculation of soybean leaves and a study of their role in resistance. Physiol. Plant Pathol., 24: 303–320.
- Groth, D.E. & E.J.Braun, 1986. Growth kinetics and histopathology of Xanthomonas campestris pv. glycines in leaves of resistant and susceptible soybeans. Phytopathol. 76: 959–966.
- Hartwig, E.E. & S.G.Lehman, 1951. Inheritance of resistance to bacterial pustule disease in soybeans. Agronomy J., 43: 226–229.
- Kearny, B. & B.Staskawicz, 1990. Widespred distribution and fitness contribution of Xanthomonas campestris avirulence gene avrBs2. Nature, 346: 385–386.
- Keen, N.T., 1990. Gene-for-gene complementarity in plant pathogen interactions. Ann. Rev. Genet., 24: 447–463.
- Keen, N.T., D.Koayashi, S.Tamaki, H.Shen, M.Stayton, D.Lawrence, A.Sharma, S.Midland, M.Smith & J.Sims, 1991. Avirulence gene D from Pseudomonas syringae pv. tomato and its interaction with resistance gene Rpg4 in soybean. In: H.Henneck & D.P.S.Verma (Eds.) Advances in molecular genetics of plant-microbe interaction, Vol. 1, 37–44, Kluwer Academic Publishers, The Netherlands.
- Nene, Y.L., 1988. Multiple disease resistance in grain legumes. Ann. Rev. Phytopathol. 26: 203–217.
- Parthuangwong, S. & K.Amnuaykit, 1987. Studies on tolerance and rate reducing bacterial pustule of soybean cultivars/lines. Kesetsart J. of Nat. Sci. 21: 408–426.
- Reddy, K.S., S.E.Pawar & C.R.Bhatia, 1987. Screening for powdry mildew (Erysiphe polygoni DC) resistance in mungbean (Vigna radiata (L.) Wilczek) using excised leaves. Proc. Indian Acad. Sci. (Plant Sci.), 97: 365–369.
- Verma, V.D., 1990. Evaluation of soybean (Glycine max) germplasm for bacterial pustules caused by Xanthomonas campestris pv. glycines. Ind. J. Agric. Sci., 60: 832–833.
- Identification of soybean strains resistant to Xanthomonas campestris pv. glycines
Volume 67, Issue 1-2 , pp 95-99
- Cover Date
- Print ISSN
- Online ISSN
- Kluwer Academic Publishers
- Additional Links
- Glycine max.
- Xanthomonas campestris pv. glycines
- bacterial pustule disease
- Industry Sectors