Implications of early life stages in the natural history of the Gulf of Mexico sturgeon, Acipenser oxyrinchus de sotoi
Purchase on Springer.com
$39.95 / €34.95 / £29.95*
Rent the article at a discountRent now
* Final gross prices may vary according to local VAT.
Gulf of Mexico sturgeon were collected during their natural spring spawning migrations from the Gulf of Mexico into the Suwannee River in Florida. Peak numbers were observed during March and April. During the summer periods the fish remained in the river over very localized bottom areas. In late fall, the fish migrated from the river into the Gulf of Mexico. Laboratory experiments revealed that maximum survival of eggs, embryos and larvae of Gulf of Mexico sturgeon occurred between 15 and 20° C. Although Gulf of Mexico sturgeon appear to have a high tolerance to warm water temperatures, their embryos and larvae exhibit high mortalities at temperatures of 25° C. Based on observations of Gulf of Mexico sturgeon migratory patterns and laboratory experiments we suggest that the timing and unusual migratory behavior of Gulf of Mexico sturgeon are associated with temporal water temperature changes in the river and the Gulf of Mexico. The requirements of a thermal refuge are discussed.
- Buddington, R.K. 1991. Ontogenic development of sturgeons: selected physiological examples. pp. 53–63. In: P. Williot (ed.) Acipenser, Actes du Premier Colloque International sur l'Esturgeon, CEMAGREF-DICOVA, Bordeaux.
- Carr, A. 1983. All the way down upon the Suwannee River. Audubon 85: 78–101.
- Chapman, F.A. 1989. Sexual maturation and reproductive parameters of wild and domestic stocks of white sturgeon, Acipenser transmontanus. Ph.D. Dissertation, University of California, Davis. 100 pp.
- Dettlaff, T.A., A.S. Ginzburg & O.I. Schmalhausen. 1993. Sturgeon fishes: developmental biology and aquaculture. Springer-Verlag, Berlin. 300 pp.
- Doroshov, S.I. 1985. Biology and culture of sturgeon Acipenseriformes. pp. 251–274. In: J.F.Muir & R.J.Roberts (ed.) Recent Advances in Aquaculture, Vol. 2, Westview Press, Boulder.
- Gilbert, C.R. 1992. Atlantic sturgeon. pp. 31–39. In: C.R. Gilbert (ed.) Rare and Endangered Biota of Florida, Fishes, Vol. 2, University Press of Florida, Gainesville.
- Igumnova, L.V. 1985. Effect of temperature fluctuations on embryonic development of the beluga, Huso huso, and sevryuga, Acipenser stellatus. J. Ichthyol. 24: 85–90.
- Fernald, E.A. & D.J. Patton. 1984. Water resources atlas of Florida. Florida State University, Tallahassee. 291 pp.
- Mason, W.T, Jr. 1991. A survey of benthic invertebrates in the Suwannee River, Florida. Environmental Monitoring and Assessment 16: 163–187.
- Leipper, D.F. 1954. Physical oceanography of the Gulf of Mexico. U.S. Fish. Bull. 55: 119–137.
- Parauka, F.M., W.J. Troxel, F.A. Chapman & L.G. McBay. 1991. Hormone-induced ovulation and artificial spawning of Gulf of Mexico sturgeon (Acipenser oxyrhynchus desotoi). Progr. Fish-Cult. 53: 113–117.
- Rivas, L.R.1954. The origin, relationships, and geographical distribution of the marine fishes of the Gulf of Mexico. pp. 503–505. In: PS. Galtsoff (ed.) Gulf of Mexico, Its Origin, Waters, and Marine Life, Fishery Bulletin 89, Fishery Bulletin of the Fish and Wildlife Service Vol. 55.
- Rosenau, J.C., G.L. Faulkner, C.W. Hendry, Jr. & R.W. Hull. 1977. Springs of Florida. State of Florida, Department of Natural Resources, Bull. 31. 461 pp.
- Steel, R.G.D. & J.H. Torrie. 1980. Principles and procedures of statistics: a biometrical approach. McGraw-Hill, New York. 633 pp.
- Tikhonova, L.S. & I.A. Shekhanova. 1983. Effect of pesticides on Russian sturgeon, Acipenser gueldenstaedti (Acipenseridae), in the embryonic-larval period. J. Ichthyol. 22: 172–175.
- Vladykov, V.D. 1955. A comparison of Atlantic sea sturgeon with a new subspecies from the Gulf of Mexico (Acipenser oxyrhynchus de sotoi). J. Fish. Res. Board Can. 12: 754–761.
- Wang, Y.L., F.P. Binkowski & S.I. Doroshov. 1985. Effect of temperature on early development of white and lake sturgeon, Acipenser transmontanus and A. fulvescens. Env. Biol. Fish. 14: 43–50.
- Winter, J.D. Underwater biotelemetry. pp. 371–395. In: L.A. Nielsen & D.L. Johnson (ed.) Fisheries Techniques, American Fisheries Society, Bethesda.
- Wooley, C.M. 1985. Evaluation of morphometric characters used in taxonomic separation of Gulf of Mexico sturgeon, Acipenser oxyrhynchus desotoi. pp. 97–103. In: F.P. Binkowski & S.I. Doroshov (ed.) North American Sturgeons: Biology and Aquaculture Potential, Dr W. Junk Publishers, Dordrecht.
- Wooley, C.M. & E.J. Crateau. 1982. Observations of Gulf of Mexico sturgeon (Acipenser oxyrhynchus desotoi) in the Apalachicola River, Florida. Florida Scientist 45: 244–248.
- Wooley, C.M. & E.J. Crateau. 1985. Movement, microhabitat, exploitation and management of Gulf of Mexico sturgeon, Apalachicola River, Florida. North American J. Fish. Manag. 5: 590–605.
- Implications of early life stages in the natural history of the Gulf of Mexico sturgeon, Acipenser oxyrinchus de sotoi
Environmental Biology of Fishes
Volume 43, Issue 4 , pp 407-413
- Cover Date
- Print ISSN
- Online ISSN
- Kluwer Academic Publishers
- Additional Links
- Temperature effects
- Suwannee River
- Thermal refuge
- Threats to survival