Structural Performance of Reinforced Concrete Flat Plate Buildings Subjected to Fire
The research presented in this paper analytically examines the fire performance of flat plate buildings. The modeling parameters for the mechanical and thermal properties of materials are calibrated from relevant test data to minimize the uncertainties involved in analysis. The calibrated models are then adopted to perform a nonlinear finite element simulation on a flat plate building subjected to fire. The analysis examines the characteristics of slab deflection, in-plane deformation, membrane force, bending moment redistribution, and slab rotational deformation near the supporting columns. The numerical simulation enables the understanding of structural performance of flat plate under elevated temperature and, more importantly, identifies the high risk of punching failure at slab-column connections that may trigger large-scale failure in flat plate structures.
Supplementary Material (0)
- ACI Committee 318. ( 2011). Building code requirements for structural concrete (ACI 318-11) and commentary. Farmington Hills, MI: American Concrete Institute.
- ASCE. (1992). Structural fire protection. Manual No. 78. New York: ASCE Committee on Fire Protection, Structural Division, American Society of Civil Engineers.
- ASCE 7-10. (2010). Minimum design loads for buildings and other structures. Reston, VA: American Society of Civil Engineers.
- Dassault Systèmes Simulia Corporation. (2009). Abaqus 6.9 documentation.
- Elstner, R. C., & Hognestad, E. (1956). Shearing strength of reinforced concrete slabs. ACI Journal Proceedings, 53(1), 29–58.
- Eurocode 2. (1995). Design of concrete structures. Part 1-2: General rules—structural fire design (ENV1992). Brussels: European Committee for Standardization.
- Eurocode 3. (1995). Design of steel structures. Part 1-2: General rules–structural fire design (ENV 1993). Brussels: European Committee for Standardization.
- Ghaffar, A., Chaudhry, M. A., & Ali, M. K. (2005). A new approach for measurement of tensile strength of concrete. Journal of Research (Science), 16(1), 1–9.
- Guandalini, S., Burdet, O. L., & Muttoni, A. (2009). Punching tests of slabs with low reinforcement ratios. ACI Structural Journal, 106(1), 87–95.
- Harmathy, T. Z. (1993) Fire safety design and concrete. Harlow: Longman Scientific & Technical.
- Huang, Z., Burgess, I. W., & Plank, R. J. (1999). Nonlinear analysis of reinforced concrete slabs subjected to fire. ACI Structural Journal, 96(1), 127–135.
- Joint ACI/TMS Committee 216. (2007). Code requirements for determining fire resistance of concrete and masonry construction assemblies. Farmington Hills, MI: American Concrete Institute.
- Lee, J., & Fenves G. L. (1998). Plastic-damage model for cyclic loading of concrete structures. Journal of Engineering Mechanics, 124(8), 892–900. CrossRef
- Lim, L., Buchanan, A., Moss, P., & Franssen, J. (2004). Numerical modelling of two-way reinforced concrete slabs in fire. Engineering Structures, 26(8), 1081–1091. CrossRef
- Lim, L., & Wade, C. (2002). Experimental fire tests of two-way concrete slabs. Fire Engineering Research Report 02/12. Christchurch (New Zealand): University of Canterbury.
- Lubliner, J., Oliver, J., Oller, S., & Oñate, E. (1989). A plastic-damage model for concrete. International Journal of Solids and Structures, 25 299–329. CrossRef
- Moss, P. J., Dhakal, R. P., Wang, G., & Buchanan, A. H. (2008). The fire behaviour of multi-bay, two-way reinforced concrete slabs. Engineering Structures, 30(12), 3566–3573. CrossRef
- Muttoni, A. (2008). Punching shear strength of reinforced concrete slabs without transverse reinforcement. ACI Structural Journal, 105(4), 440–450.
- Ruiz, M. F., Muttoni, A., & Kunz, J. (2010). Strengthening of flat slabs against punching shear using post-installed shear reinforcement. ACI Structural Journal, 107(4), 434–442.
- Tian, Y., Jirsa, J. O., Bayrak, O., Widianto, & Argudo, J. F. (2008). Behavior of slab-column connections of existing flat-plate structures. ACI Structural Journal, 105(5), 561–569.
- Vermeer, P. A., & De Borst, R. (1984). Non-associated plasticity for soils, concrete, and rock. HERON, 29(3), 1–62.
- Wang, G. (2004). Performance of reinforced concrete flat slabs exposed to fire. Fire Engineering Research report number 06/2. Christchurch (New Zealand): University of Canterbury.
About this Article
- Structural Performance of Reinforced Concrete Flat Plate Buildings Subjected to Fire
- Open Access
- Available under Open Access This content is freely available online to anyone, anywhere at any time.
International Journal of Concrete Structures and Materials
Volume 6, Issue 2 , pp 111-121
- Cover Date
- Print ISSN
- Online ISSN
- Korea Concrete Institute
- Additional Links
- elevated temperature
- flat plate
- punching shear
- Industry Sectors