Dangerous Politics and Sex Research: The Example of “Penis-gate 2011”
- Christian Grov
- … show all 1 hide
Purchase on Springer.com
$39.95 / €34.95 / £29.95*
Rent the article at a discountRent now
* Final gross prices may vary according to local VAT.
In summer 2011, a conservative lobby group released an inaccurate statement decrying the National Institutes for Health for allegedly funding four research studies the group deemed “bizarre.” Two of these studies explicitly involved sexuality research. This paper responds to the allegations around one of the studies and describes the subsequent media firestorm generated as a result of the lobby group’s report. This paper concludes by illustrating some of the dangers these types of allegations pose for science and researchers, and offers advice for how to navigate negative media attention.
- Berger, J. (2011). NIH-backed study examined effects of penis size in gay community. http://www.foxnews.com/politics/2011/07/18/nih-backed-study-examined-effects-penis-size-in-gay-community/. Accessed 6 Dec 2011
- Greenfieldboyce, N. (2011). ‘Shrimp on a treadmill’: the politics of ‘silly’ studies. http://www.npr.org/2011/08/23/139852035/shrimp-on-a-treadmill-the-politics-of-silly-studies. Accessed 6 Dec 2011
- Moisse, K., & Conley, M. (2011). Study of gay men’s sexual health called waste of taxpayer money; study not government-funded. http://abcnews.go.com/Health/MensHealth/study-gay-mens-sexual-health-called-waste-taxpayer/story?id=14125898#.Tt5f7DDF_PI. Accessed 6 Dec 2011.
- Russell, S. AIDS, sex scientists on federal list fear their research is in jeopardy, San Francisco Chronicle, p. A3. October 28, 2003. http://sfgate.com/cgi-bin/article.cgi?f=/c/a/2003/10/28/MNGSD2KOBL1.DTL.
- Traditional Values Coalition. (2011). NIH wastes millions on bizarre “research”. http://www.traditionalvalues.org/content/home/31645/NIH%20Wastes%20Millions%20on%20Bizarre. Accessed 6 Dec 2011
- Dangerous Politics and Sex Research: The Example of “Penis-gate 2011”
Sexuality Research and Social Policy
Volume 9, Issue 2 , pp 95-98
- Cover Date
- Print ISSN
- Online ISSN
- Springer US
- Additional Links
- National Institutes for Health
- Traditional Values Coalition
- Penis size
- Christian Grov (1) (2)
- Author Affiliations
- 1. Brooklyn College and the Graduate Center, City University of New York, 2900 Bedford Avenue, Brooklyn, NY, 11210, USA
- 2. The Center for HIV/AIDS Educational Studies and Training, New York, NY, USA