Transfer alignment considering measurement time delay and ship body flexure
Rent the article at a discountRent now
* Final gross prices may vary according to local VAT.Get Access
This paper deals with the transfer alignment problem of strap-down inertial navigation systems (SDINS), using electro-magnetic (EM) log velocity information and gyrocompass attitude information of the ship. Major error sources for velocity and attitude matching are lever-arm effect, measurement time-delay, and ship-body flexure (flexibility). To reduce these alignment errors, an error compensation method based on delay state augmentation and DCM (direction cosine matrix) partial matching is devised. A linearized error model for a velocity and attitude matching transfer alignment system is devised by first linearizing the nonlinear measurement equation with respect to its time delay, and augmenting the delay state into conventional linear state equations. DCM partial matching is then properly combined with velocity matching to reduce the effects of a ship’s Y-axis flexure. The simulation results show that this method decreases azimuth alignment errors considerably.
- K. Spalding, An Efficient Rapid Transfer Alignment Filter, Proc. of the AIAA GN&C Conference, (1992) 1276–1286.
- J. E. Kain, J. R. Cloutier, Rapid Transfer Alignment for Transfer Weapon Application, Proc. of the AIAA GN&C Conference, (1989) 1290–1300.
- Schneider, A. M. (1983) Kalman Filter Formulations for Transfer Alignment of Strapdown Inertial Units. Journal of the Institute of Navigation 30: pp. 72-89
- G. M. Siouris, Aerospace Avionics Systems: A Modern Synthesis, Academic Press (1993).
- K. R. Britting, InertialNavigation Systems Analysis, Wiley & Sons (1971).
- D. H. Titteron and J. L. Westone, Dynamic Shipboard Alignment Technique, Symposium Gyro Technology, (1989) 9.1–9.27.
- N. M. Vepa, A Dynamic Alignment System for Applications on Flexible Platforms such as Ships, Gyro Technology, (1989) 16.1–16.3.
- Goshen-Meskin, D., Bar-Itzhack, I. Y. (1992) Observability Analysis of Piece-Wise Constant System, Part I: ‘Theory’ & Part II: ‘Application to Inertial Navigation In-Flight Alignment. IEEE Trans. On AES. 28: pp. 1056-1075
- Gates, P. J., Lynn, N. M. (1990) Ships, Submarines and the Sea. Brassey’s (UK), London
- Rawson, K. J., Tupper, E.C. (1968) Basic Ship Theory. Longman, London
- Transfer alignment considering measurement time delay and ship body flexure
Journal of Mechanical Science and Technology
Volume 23, Issue 1 , pp 195-203
- Cover Date
- Print ISSN
- Online ISSN
- Korean Society of Mechanical Engineers
- Additional Links
- Kalman filter
- Measurement time-delay
- Ship body flexure
- Transfer alignment
- Industry Sectors