How Serious is the Global Warming Threat?
- Roy W. Spencer
- … show all 1 hide
Rent the article at a discountRent now
* Final gross prices may vary according to local VAT.Get Access
Despite the media’s and politicians’ insistence that the science of global warming is “settled”, there are good reasons to distrust climate model projections of future global warming. While the supposed scientific consensus is that mankind is very likely to blame for recent global warmth, this is mostly a statement of faith made from a position of relative ignorance about natural variability in the climate system. Since we do not understand what causes decadal- to century-scale natural climate variability, it has simply been assumed to either not exist, or to be relatively small. But even if predictions of catastrophic warming are accurate, the worldwide demand for energy is so large that there is little mankind can do without radically new energy technologies. Since it is only the wealthy countries of the world that can afford the R&D efforts to develop those technologies, punishing the use of fossil fuels, and the resulting negative impact on economies, might well delay the development of cost effective carbon-free energy sources that so many people are now calling for.
- Cess, R. D., Zhang, M. H., Ingram, W. J., Potter, G. L., Alekseev, V., Barker, H. W. (1996) Cloud feedback in atmospheric general circulation models: An update. Journal of Geophysical Research 101: pp. 12791-12794 CrossRef
- Hansen, J. E., Sato, M. (2001) Trends of measured climate forcing agents. Proceedings of the National Academy of Sciences 98: pp. 14778-14783 CrossRef
- Hughes, M. K. (1999). Data for northern hemisphere temperatures 1000–1980. Retrieved from http://www.ngdc.noaa.gov
- Manabe, S., Wetherald, R. T. (1975) The effects of doubling the CO2 concentration on the climate of a general circulation model. Journal of Atmospheric Sciences 32: pp. 3-15 CrossRef
- Mann, M. E., Bradley, R. S., Hughes, M. K. (1999) Northern hemisphere temperatures during the past millennium: inferences, uncertainties and limitations. Geophysical Research Letters 26: pp. 759-762 CrossRef
- How Serious is the Global Warming Threat?
Volume 44, Issue 5 , pp 45-50
- Cover Date
- Print ISSN
- Online ISSN
- Additional Links
- Roy W. Spencer (1)
- Author Affiliations
- 1. Earth System Science Center, The University of Alabama in Huntsville, 301 Sparkman Drive, Huntsville, AL, 35805, USA