Actual Recurrence Patterns and Risk Factors Influencing Recurrence After Curative Resection with Stage II Gallbladder Carcinoma
Purchase on Springer.com
$39.95 / €34.95 / £29.95*
Rent the article at a discountRent now
* Final gross prices may vary according to local VAT.
Despite the advances in imaging techniques, most patients can only be diagnosed at advanced stage: The prognosis is very poor. Recent studies showed that aggressive radical resection for advanced gallbladder carcinoma can give an acceptable prognosis. However, recurrence frequently remains the main problem after curative resection of advanced gallbladder carcinoma. The aim of this study was to identify the patterns and risk factors of recurrence after curative resection for stage II gallbladder carcinoma. Between January 1991 and December 2003, 100 patients received radical curative resection for gallbladder carcinoma at Yonsei University Medical Center. Of these, 77 were defined with stage II gallbladder carcinoma according to the Union Internationale Contre Le Cancer classification (sixth edition). Of the 77 patients, 67 were reviewed for the predictors of tumor recurrence. Among the 67 patients, 38 (56.7%) suffered a recurrence. The mean length to the recurrence was 21.1 ± 26.7 months, with the most common site being the intraabdominal organs: liver and aortocaval lymph nodes. Infiltrating and poorly differentiated types were identified as independent prognostic factors of recurrence after curative resection for stage II gallbladder carcinoma and it suggests that large multicenter randomized control trials are necessary to clarify the role of adjuvant chemotherapy in these patients.
- Matsumoto Y, Fujii H, Aoyama H, Yamamoto M, Sugahara K, Suda K. Surgical treatment of primary carcinoma of the gallbladder based on the histologic analysis of 48 surgical specimens. Am J Surg 1992;163:239–245. CrossRef
- Bartlett DL, Fong Y, Fortner JG, Brennan MF, Blumgart LH. Long-term results after resection for gallbladder cancer. Implications for staging and management. Ann Surg 1996;224:639–646. CrossRef
- Tsukada K, Hatakeyama K, Kurosaki I, Uchida K, Shirai Y, Muto T, Yoshida K. Outcome of radical surgery for carcinoma gallbladder according to the TNM stage. Surgery 1996;120:816–821. CrossRef
- Taner CB, Nagorney DM, Donohue JH. Surgical treatment of gallbladder cancer. J Gastrointest Surg 2004;8:83–89. CrossRef
- Pitt HA, Dooley WC, Yeo CJ, Cameron JL. Malignancies of the biliary tree. Curr Probl Surg 1995;32:1–90. CrossRef
- Kim HS, Lee JH, Chung JB, Song SY, Kang JK, Park IS, et al. Survival factors of gallbladder carcinoma. Kor J Gastroenterol 2000;35:367–377.
- Aramaki M, Matsumoto T, Shibata K, Himeno Y, Yada K, Hirano S, et al. Factors influencing recurrence after surgical treatment for T2 gallbladder carcinoma. Hepatogastroenterology 2004;51:1609–1611.
- Z’Graggen K, Birrer S, Maurer CA, Wehrli H, Klaiber C, Baer HU. Incidence of port site recurrence after laparoscopic cholecystectomy for preoperatively unsuspected gallbladder carcinoma. Surgery 1998;124:831–838. CrossRef
- Paolucci V, Schaeff B, Schneider M, Gutt C. Tumor seeding following laparoscopy: international survey. World J Surg 1999;23:989–997. CrossRef
- Suzuki K, Kimura T, Ogawa H. Long-term prognosis of gallbladder cancer diagnosed after laparoscopic cholecystectomy. Surg Endosc 2000;14:712–716. CrossRef
- Shirai Y, Yoshida K, Tsukada K, Muto T, Watanabe H. Radical surgery for gallbladder carcinoma. Long-term results. Ann Surg 1992;216:565–568. CrossRef
- Yamaguchi K, Chijiiwa K, Saiki S, Nishihara K, Takashima M, Kawakami K, et al. Retrospective analysis of 70 operations for gallbladder carcinoma. Br J Surg 1997;84:200–204. CrossRef
- Chijiiwa K, Nakano K, Ueda J, Noshiro H, Nagai E, Yamaguchi K, et al. Surgical treatment of patients with T2 gallbladder carcinoma invading the subserosal layer. J Am Coll Surg 2001;192:600–607. CrossRef
- Actual Recurrence Patterns and Risk Factors Influencing Recurrence After Curative Resection with Stage II Gallbladder Carcinoma
Journal of Gastrointestinal Surgery
Volume 11, Issue 5 , pp 631-637
- Cover Date
- Print ISSN
- Online ISSN
- Additional Links
- Industry Sectors
- Author Affiliations
- 1. Department of Surgery, Yongdong Severance Hospital, Yonsei University College of Medicine, 146-92, Dogok-dong, Kangnam-Gu, Seoul, 135-720, Korea