Thrombolytic therapy in pregnancy
Rent the article at a discountRent now
* Final gross prices may vary according to local VAT.Get Access
Pregnancy due to its physiological changes is a procoagulant state. The rate of cardiac valve prosthesis thrombosis, deep venous thrombosis and pulmonary embolism are all increased. Thrombolytic therapy with tissue plasminogen activator (rt-PA) is an approved therapy for ischemic stroke, myocardial infarction, pulmonary embolism and thrombosis of cardiac valve prosthesis. However, there are no data from controlled randomized trials in pregnant patients. Thrombolytic therapy has been rarely used in pregnancy with only 28 cases of rt-PA thrombolysis reported in the literature so far. Indications for rt-PA thrombolysis were stroke (n = 10), thrombosis of cardiac valve prosthesis (n = 7), pulmonary embolism (n = 7), deep venous thrombosis (n = 3), and myocardial infarction (n = 1). Remarkably, all thrombosis of cardiac valve prostheses occurred after switching from warfarin to heparin in order to prevent teratogenicity and fetal loss. Two patients died (7%) and three suffered from complications that were managed conservatively (11%). In another three patients thrombolysis was not successful. Thrombolysis complication rates were similar compared to non-pregnant patients for the above mentioned indications. Six out of the 26 fetus from surviving mothers died (23%), three of them after induced abortion for maternal reasons (12%). A likely causal relation to the prior thrombolysis could only be established in two fetal fatalities (8%). None of the live born children suffered a permanent deficit.
Considering that rt-PA does not cross the placenta and taking into account that the complication rates do not exceed those of large randomised controlled trials thrombolytic therapy should not be withheld in pregnant patients in case of life-threatening or potentially debilitating thrombembolic disease.
- Antman EM, Anbe DT, Armstrong PW, et al. ACC/AHA guidelines for the management of patients with ST-elevation myocardial infarction: a report of the American College of Cardiology/American Heart Association Task Force on Practice Guidelines (Committee to Revise the 1999 Guidelines for the Management of Patients with Acute Myocardial Infarction). Circulation 2004;110:e82–293. CrossRef
- Arcasoy SM, Kreit JW. Thrombolytic therapy of pulmonary embolism: a comprehensive review of current evidence. Chest 1999;115:1695–1707. CrossRef
- Alpert JS. The thrombosed prosthetic valve: current recommendations based on evidence from the literature. J Am Coll Cardiol 2003;41:659–660. CrossRef
- Boehringer Ingelheim. Fachinformation (SPC) Actilyse. Oktober 2002.
- Kittner SJ, Stern BJ, Feeser BR, et al. Pregnancy and the risk of stroke. N Engl J Med 1996;335:768–774. CrossRef
- Jaigobin C, Silver FL. Stroke and pregnancy. Stroke 2000;31:2948–2951.
- Greer IA. Thrombosis in pregnancy: maternal and fetal issues. Lancet 1999;353:1258–1265. CrossRef
- Macklon NS, Greer IA. Venous thromboembolic disease in obstetrics and gynaecology: the Scottish experience. Scott Med J 1996;41:83–86.
- Chan WS, Anand S, Ginsberg JS. Anticoagulation of pregnant women with mechanical heart valves: a systematic review of the literature. Arch Intern Med 2000;160:191–196. CrossRef
- Webber MD, Halligan RE, Schumacher JA. Acute infarction, intracoronary thrombolysis, and primary PTCA in pregnancy. Cathet Cardiovasc Diagn 1997;42:38–43. CrossRef
- Kojima N, Naya M, Imoto H, Hara T, Deguchi T, Takahira H. Reproduction study of GMK-527 (rt-PA) - (III) Teratogenic Study in rabbits treated intravenously with GMK-527. Jpn Pharmacol Ther 1988;16:107–123.
- Tanaka M, Mizuno F, Ohtsuka T, Komatsu K, Umeshita C, Mizusawa R. Study in rats treated intravenously with GMK-527 (II) Teratogenicity study in rats treated intravenously with GMK-527. Jpn Pharmacol Ther 1988;16:93–106.
- Tanaka M, Namiki M, Wada Y, et al. Reproduction studies of GMK-527 (rt-PA) - (IV) Perinatal and postnatal study in rats treated intravenously with GMK-527. Jpn Pharmacol Ther 1988;16:125–142.
- Dapprich M, Boessenecker W. Fibrinolysis with alteplase in a pregnant woman with stroke. Cerebrovasc Dis 2002;13:290. CrossRef
- Elford K, Leader A, Wee R, Stys PK. Stroke in ovarian hyperstimulation syndrome in early pregnancy treated with intra-arterial rt-PA. Neurology 2002;59:1270–1272.
- Murugappan A, McAllen K, Coplin W, King J, Redman M, Schwamm L. Thrombolytic Therapy for acute ischemic stroke during pregnancy. Neurology 2000;54(S3):A390
- Weatherby SJ, Edwards NC, West R, Heafield MT. Good outcome in early pregnancy following direct thrombolysis for cerebral venous sinus thrombosis. J Neurol 2003;250:1372–1373. CrossRef
- Azzano O, French P, Robin J, et al. [Thrombolytic therapy with rt-PA for thrombosis of tricuspid valve prosthesis during pregnancy]. Arch Mal Coeur Vaiss 1995;88:267– 270.
- Di Roio C, Perrot D, Vedrinne JM, Mellier G, Robin J, Motin J. [Thrombolytic therapy with rt-PA of recurrent thrombosis in tricuspid valve prosthesis during pregnancy]. Ann Fr Anesth Reanim 1996;15:666–668. CrossRef
- Rinaldi JP, Yassine M, Aboujaoude F, et al. [Successful thrombolysis on an aortic valve prosthesis by plasminogen tissue activator during pregnancy]. Arch Mal Coeur Vaiss 1999;92:427–430.
- Sahnoun-Trabelsi I, Jimenez M, Choussat A, Roudaut R. [Prosthetic valve thrombosis in pregnancy. A single-center study of 12 cases]. Arch Mal Coeur Vaiss 2004;97:305–310.
- Nassar AH, Abdallah ME, Moukarbel GV, Usta IM, Gharzuddine WS. Sequential use of thrombolytic agents for thrombosed mitral valve prosthesis during pregnancy. J Perinat Med 2003;31:257–260. CrossRef
- Fleyfel M, Bourzoufi K, Huin G, Subtil D, Puech F. Recombinant tissue type plasminogen activator treatment of thrombosed mitral valve prosthesis during pregnancy. Can J Anaesth 1997;44:735–738. CrossRef
- Nanas JN, Kontoyannis SA, Mitsibounas DN, Stamatelopoulos SF. Thrombolytic treatment for thrombosis of a mitral valve prosthesis during pregnancy. Intensive Care Med 2001;27:1668–1669. CrossRef
- Ahearn GS, Hadjiliadis D, Govert JA, Tapson VF. Massive pulmonary embolism during pregnancy successfully treated with recombinant tissue plasminogen activator: a case report and review of treatment options. Arch Intern Med 2002;162:1221–1227. CrossRef
- Flossdorf T, Breulmann M, Hopf HB. Successful treatment of massive pulmonary embolism with recombinant tissue type plasminogen activator (rt-PA) in a pregnant woman with intact gravidity and preterm labour. Intensive Care Med 1990;16:454–456. CrossRef
- Patel RK, Fasan O, Arya R. Thrombolysis in pregnancy. Thromb Haemost 2003;90:1216–1217.
- Seifried E, Gabelmann A, Ellbruck D, Schmidt A. [Thrombolytic therapy of pulmonary artery embolism in early pregnancy with recombinant tissue-type plasminogen activator]. Geburtshilfe Frauenheilkd 1991;51: 655–658. CrossRef
- Yap LB, Alp NJ, Forfar JC. Thrombolysis for acute massive pulmonary embolism during pregnancy. Int J Cardiol 2002;82:193–194. CrossRef
- Sofocleous CT, Hinrichs C, Bahramipour P, Barone A, Abujudeh H, Contractor D. Percutaneous management of life-threatening pulmonary embolism complicating early pregnancy. J Vasc Interv Radiol 2001;12:1355–1356.
- Baudo F, Caimi TM, Redaelli R, et al. Emergency treatment with recombinant tissue plasminogen activator of pulmonary embolism in a pregnant woman with antithrombin III deficiency. Am J Obstet Gynecol 1990;163:1274– 1275.
- Behrendt P, Schwartzkopff B, Perings S, Gerhardt A, Zotz RB, Strauer BE. Successful thrombolysis of st. Jude medical aortic prosthesis with tissue-type plasminogen activator in a pregnant woman: a case report. Cardiol Rev 2002;10:349–353. CrossRef
- De Stefano V, Leone G, Teofili L, et al. Hepatic and portal veins thrombosis in a pregnant woman with paroxysmal nocturnal hemoglobinuria and severe thrombocytopenia: efficacy of rt-PA in the treatment of the Budd-Chiari syndrome and successful outcome of pregnancy. Thromb Haemost 1991;65:1188
- Grand A, Ghadban W, Perret SP, et al. [Ilio-femoral vein thrombosis treated with tissue plasminogen activator in a pregnant woman]. Ann Cardiol Angeiol (Paris) 1996;45:517–522.
- Hacke W, Kaste M, Fieschi C, et al. Intravenous thrombolysis with recombinant tissue plasminogen activator for acute hemispheric stroke. The European Cooperative Acute Stroke Study (ECASS) [see comments]. Jama 1995;274:1017–1025. CrossRef
- Hacke W, Kaste M, Fieschi C, et al. Randomised double-blind placebo-controlled trial of thrombolytic therapy with intravenous alteplase in acute ischaemic stroke (ECASS II). Second European-Australasian Acute Stroke Study Investigators. Lancet 1998;352:1245–1251. CrossRef
- Konstantinides S, Geibel A, Heusel G, Heinrich F, Kasper W. Heparin plus alteplase compared with heparin alone in patients with submassive pulmonary embolism. N Engl J Med 2002;347:1143–1150. CrossRef
- Menon V, Harrington RA, Hochman JS, et al. Thrombolysis and adjunctive therapy in acute myocardial infarction: the Seventh ACCP Conference on Antithrombotic and Thrombolytic Therapy. Chest 2004;126:549S–575S. CrossRef
- The National Institute of Neurological Disorders and Stroke rt-PA Stroke Study Group. Tissue plasminogen activator for acute ischemic stroke. N Engl J Med 1995;333:1581–1587. CrossRef
- Hamel E, Pacouret G, Vincentelli D, et al. Thrombolysis or heparin therapy in massive pulmonary embolism with right ventricular dilation: results from a 128-patient monocenter registry. Chest 2001;120:120–125. CrossRef
- Ellish NJ, Saboda K, O’Connor J, Nasca PC, Stanek EJ, Boyle C. A prospective study of early pregnancy loss. Hum Reprod 1996;11:406–412.
- Zinaman MJ, Clegg ED, Brown CC, O’Connor J, Selevan SG. Estimates of human fertility and pregnancy loss. Fertil Steril 1996;65:503–509.
- Thrombolytic therapy in pregnancy
Journal of Thrombosis and Thrombolysis
Volume 21, Issue 3 , pp 271-276
- Cover Date
- Print ISSN
- Online ISSN
- Kluwer Academic Publishers
- Additional Links
- thrombolytic therapy
- pulmonary embolism
- cardiac valve thrombosis
- myocardial infarction
- Industry Sectors