Under the Mountain: Basic Training, Individuality, and Comradeship
- Samuel Clark
- … show all 1 hide
Purchase on Springer.com
$39.95 / €34.95 / £29.95*
Rent the article at a discountRent now
* Final gross prices may vary according to local VAT.
This paper addresses questions of friendship and political community by investigating a particular complex case, comradeship in the life of the soldier. Close attention to soldiers’ accounts of their own lives, successes and failures shows that the relationship of friendship to comradeship, and of both to the success of the soldier’s individual and communal life, is complex and tense. I focus on autobiographical accounts of basic training in order to describe, and to explore the tensions between, two positions: (1) Becoming a soldier is a corrupting loss of individuality and moral sensitivity, and friendship is resistance to it. (2) Becoming a soldier is one form of flourishing, and comradeship—the soldier’s distinctive form of friendship—is one of its constitutive virtues. I draw particularly on George Orwell’s account of basic training and fighting in the Spanish Civil War, and on Tim O’Brien’s account of basic training and fighting in Vietnam.
- Alexander, Robert J. 1999. The anarchists in the Spanish civil war. London: Janus Publishing Company.
- Aristotle. 1999. Nicomachean ethics (2nd edn) (trans: Terence Irwin). Indianapolis: Hackett.
- Bentham, Jeremy. 1970 . An introduction to the principles of morals & legislation, eds J.H. Burns and H.L.A. Hart. Oxford: Oxford University Press.
- Bourke, Joanna. 1999. An intimate history of killing: face-to-face killing in twentieth-century warfare. London: Granta.
- Clark, Samuel. 2010a. Love, poetry, and the good life: Mill’s Autobiography & perfectionist ethics. Inquiry 53: 565–578. CrossRef
- Clark, Samuel. 2010b. Kicking against the pricks: Anarchist perfectionism and the conditions of independence. In Anarchism and moral philosophy, ed. Benjamin Franks, and Matthew Wilson, 33–44. London: Palgrave.
- Clark, Samuel. 2012. Pleasure as self-discovery. Ratio 25: 260–276.
- Craton, Michael. 1982. Testing the chains: resistance to slavery in the British West Indies. Ithaca: Cornell University Press.
- Cummings, E.E. 1969. ‘i sing of olaf glad and big…’. In Selected poems 1923–1958, 25. London: Faber & Faber.
- Foot, Philippa. 2001. Natural goodness. Oxford: Oxford University Press. CrossRef
- Frankena, William K. 1973. Ethics, 2nd ed. New Jersey: Prentice Hall.
- Geertz, Clifford. 1993. Thick description: toward an interpretive theory of culture. In The interpretation of cultures: selected essays, 3–30. London: Fontana.
- Glover, Jonathan. 2001. Humanity: a moral history of the twentieth century. London: Pimlico.
- Graves, Robert. 1960. Goodbye to all that. London: Penguin.
- Gray, J. Glenn. 1970. The warriors: reflections on men in battle. With a new foreword. New York: Harper and Row.
- Griffin, James. 1996. Value judgement: improving our ethical beliefs. Oxford: Clarendon Press.
- James, C.L.R. 1980. The black jacobins: Toussaint L’Ouverture and the San Domingo revolution. London: Allison and Busby.
- Junger, Sebastian. 2010. War. London: Fourth Estate.
- Kipling, Rudyard. 1984. Ex-Clerk. In The Oxford book of war poetry, ed. Jon Stallworthy, 214. Oxford: Oxford University Press.
- Nussbaum, Martha C. 2000. Women and human development: the capabilities approach. Cambridge: Cambridge University Press. CrossRef
- O’Brien, Tim. 1990. The things they carried. London: Flamingo.
- O’Brien, Tim. 2003. If I die in a combat zone. London: Flamingo.
- Orwell, George. 2001. Homage to Catalonia. In Orwell in Spain, ed. Peter Davison, 28–215. London: Penguin.
- Pascal, Roy. 1960. Design and truth in autobiography. London: Routledge and Kegan Paul.
- Preston, Paul. 1996. A concise history of the spanish civil war, revised edition. London: Fontana Press.
- Rawls, John. 1999. A theory of justice, revised edition. Cambridge, MA: Harvard University Press.
- Scott, James C. 1985. Weapons of the weak: everyday forms of peasant resistance. New Haven: Yale University Press.
- Walzer, Michael. 1983. Spheres of justice: a defence of pluralism and equality. New York: Basic Books.
- Ward, Colin. 1973. Anarchy in action, 2nd ed. London: Freedom Press.
- Yeats, W.B. 1989. An Irish airman foresees his death. In Yeats’s poems, ed. A. Norman Jeffares, 237. London: Papermac.
- Under the Mountain: Basic Training, Individuality, and Comradeship
Volume 19, Issue 1 , pp 67-79
- Cover Date
- Print ISSN
- Online ISSN
- Springer Netherlands
- Additional Links
- Basic training
- George Orwell
- Tim O’Brien
- Samuel Clark (1)
- Author Affiliations
- 1. Department of Politics, Philosophy, and Religion, County South, Lancaster University, Lancaster, LA1 4YL, UK