Validity of Comorbid Psychiatric Disorders in Youngsters with Autism Spectrum Disorders
Purchase on Springer.com
$39.95 / €34.95 / £29.95*
Rent the article at a discountRent now
* Final gross prices may vary according to local VAT.
There is mounting evidence that the Diagnostic and Statistical Manual of Mental Disorders (DSM) provides an appropriate conceptualization for psychiatric disorders in individuals with autism spectrum disorders (ASDs). The current study examined symptoms of disruptive behavior, anxiety, and mood disorders and how IQ and language skills impacted their manifestation in a sample of 61 children with ASD and significant emotional/behavioral problems. Subsyndromal presentation and the role of behavior equivalents were also explored. Analyses indicated that children with IQ < 70 had fewer reported symptoms than those with IQ ≥ 70. Symptoms endorsement also varied based on language levels. Individuals with IQ < 70 were more likely to be subsyndromal for Generalized Anxiety Disorder and nonverbal individuals were more likely to be subsyndromal for Oppositional Defiant Disorder. Only one of the seven behavior equivalents was associated with internalized disorders. Special considerations may be necessary when applying some DSM criteria to assess comorbid disorders in individuals with ASDs.
- Aman, M. G., Tassé, M. J., Rojahn, J., & Hammer, D. (1996). The Nisonger CBRF: A child behavior rating form for children with developmental disabilities. Research in Developmental Disabilities, 17, 41–57. CrossRef
- American Psychiatric Association. (2000). Diagnostic and Statistical Manual of Mental Disorders, Fourth Edition, Text Revisions. Washington: Author. CrossRef
- Cantwell, D. P. (1996). Classification of child and adolescent psychopathology. Journal of Child Psychology and Psychiatry, 37, 3–12. CrossRef
- de Bruin, E. I., Ferdinand, R. F., Meester, S., de Nijs, F. A., & Verheij, F. (2007). High rates of psychiatric co-morbidity in PDD-NOS. Journal of Autism and Developmental Disorders, 37, 877–886. CrossRef
- Fletcher, R., Loschen, E., Stavrakaki, C., & First, M. (2007). Diagnostic Manual Intellectual Disability: A Textbook of Diagnosis of Mental Disorders in Persons with Intellectual Disability. Kingston: NADD Press.
- Gadow, K. D., DeVincent, C. J., Pomeroy, J., & Azizian, A. (2005). Comparison of DSM-IV symptoms in elementary school-age children with PDD versus clinic and community samples. Autism, 9, 392–415. CrossRef
- Gadow, K. D., DeVincent, C. J., & Pomeroy, J. (2006). ADHD symptom subtypes in children with pervasive developmental disorder. Journal of Autism and Developmental Disorders, 36, 271–283. CrossRef
- Gadow, K. D., Roohi, J., DeVincent, C. J., et al. (2008a). Association of ADHD, tics, and anxiety with dopamine transporter (DAT1) genotype in autism spectrum disorder. Journal of Child Psychology and Psychiatry, 49, 1331–1338. CrossRef
- Gadow, K. D., DeVincent, C. J., & Drabick, D. A. G. (2008b). Oppositional defiant disorder as a clinical phenotype in children with autism spectrum disorder. Journal of Autism and Developmental Disorders, 38, 1302–1310. CrossRef
- Gadow, K. D., DeVincent, C., & Schneider, J. (2008c). Predictors of psychiatric syndromes in children with autism spectrum disorders. Journal of Autism and Developmental Disorders, 38, 1710–1720. CrossRef
- Lecavalier, L. (2006). Behavior and emotional problems in young people with pervasive developmental disorders: Relative prevalence, effects of subject characteristics, and empirical classification. Journal of Autism and Developmental Disorders, 36, 1101–1114. CrossRef
- Lecavalier, L., Aman, M. G., Hammer, D., Stoica, W., & Matthews, G. L. (2004). Factor analysis of the Nisonger Child Behavior Rating Form in children with autism spectrum disorders. Journal of Autism and Developmental Disorders, 34, 709–721. CrossRef
- Lecavalier, L., Gadow, K., DeVincent, C. J., & Edwards, M. C. (2008). Validation of DSM-IV model of psychiatric syndromes in children with autism spectrum disorders. Journal of Autism and Developmental Disorders, 39, 278–289. CrossRef
- Leyfer, O. T., Folstein, S. E., Bacalman, S., Davis, N. O., Dinh, E., Morgan, J., et al. (2006). Comorbid psychiatric disorders in children with autism: Interview development and rates of disorders. Journal of Autism and Developmental Disorders, 36, 849–861. CrossRef
- Martson, G. M., Perry, D. W., & Roy, A. (1997). Manifestations of depression in persons with developmental disabilities. Journal of Intellectual Disability Research, 41, 476–480. CrossRef
- Matson, J. L., Rush, K. S., Hamilton, M., Anderson, S. J., Bamburg, J. W., Baglio, C. S., et al. (1999). Characteristics of depression as assessed by the Diagnostic Assessment for Severely Handicapped-II (DASH-II). Research in Developmental Disabilities, 20, 305–313. CrossRef
- McBrien, J. A. (2003). Assessment and diagnosis of depression in people with intellectual disability. Journal of Intellectual Disability Research, 47, 1–13. CrossRef
- Posey, D. J., Aman, M. G., McCracken, J. T., Scahill, L., Tierney, E., Arnold, L. E., et al. (2007). Positive effects of methylphenidate on inattention and hyperactivity in pervasive developmental disorders: An analysis of secondary measures. Biological Psychiatry, 61, 538–544. CrossRef
- Robins, E., & Guze, S. B. (1970). Establishment of diagnostic validity in psychiatric illness: Its application to schizophrenia. American Journal of Psychiatry, 126, 983–987.
- Roid, G. H. (2003). Stanford-Binet Intelligence Scales, Fifth Edition. Itasca: Riverside Publishing.
- Royal College of Psychiatrists. (2001). Diagnostic Criteria for Psychiatric Disorders for use with Adults with Learning Disabilities/Mental Retardation. London: Gaskell.
- Rutter, M., LeCouteur, A., & Lord, C. (2003). Autism Diagnostic Interview-Revised. Los Angeles: Western Psychological Services.
- Simonoff, E., Pickles, A., Charman, T., Chandler, S., Loucas, T., & Baird, G. (2008). Psychiatric disorders in children with autism spectrum disorders: prevalence, comorbidity, and associated factors in a population derived sample. Journal of the American Academy of Child and Adolescent Psychiatry, 47, 921–929. CrossRef
- Tsiouris, J. A., Mann, R., Patti, P. J., & Sturmey, P. (2003). Challenging behaviors should not be considered as depressive equivalents in individuals with intellectual disability. Journal of Intellectual Disability Research, 47, 14–21. CrossRef
- Weller, E. B., Weller, R. A., Teare, M., & Fristad, M. A. (1999). Parent Version Children’s Interview for Psychiatric Syndromes (P-ChIPS). Washington: American Psychiatric Press.
- Weller, E. B., Weller, R. A., Fristad, M. A., Rooney, M. T., & Schecter, J. (2000). Children’s Interview for Psychiatric Symptoms (ChIPS). Journal of the American Academy of Child and Adolescent Psychiatry, 39, 76–84. CrossRef
- Witwer, A. N. (2009). Psychopathology in youngsters with Autism Spectrum Disorders (Doctoral dissertation). Available from Ohio Link ETD. (Accession Number: osu1243561855).
- Validity of Comorbid Psychiatric Disorders in Youngsters with Autism Spectrum Disorders
Journal of Developmental and Physical Disabilities
Volume 22, Issue 4 , pp 367-380
- Cover Date
- Print ISSN
- Online ISSN
- Springer US
- Additional Links
- Autism spectrum disorder
- Psychiatric symptom
- Behavior problem