e-Trust and reputation
- Thomas W. Simpson
- … show all 1 hide
Rent the article at a discountRent now
* Final gross prices may vary according to local VAT.Get Access
Trust online can be a hazardous affair; many are trustworthy, but some people use the anonymity of the web to behave very badly indeed. So how can we improve the quality of evidence for trustworthiness provided online? I focus on one of the devices we use to secure others’ trustworthiness: tracking past conduct through online reputation systems. Yet existing reputation systems face problems. I analyse these, and in the light of this develop some principles for system design, towards overcoming these challenges. In providing better evidence for trustworthiness online, so we can also encourage people actually to be trustworthy more often, which is an ethically welcome outcome.
- Acton, H. B. (1974). The idea of a spiritual power. London: Athlone Press.
- Bacharach, M., & Gambetta, D. (2001). Trust in Signs. In K. Cook (Ed.), Trust in society (pp. 148–184). New York: Russell Sage Foundation.
- Brennan, G., & Pettit, P. (2004). Esteem, identifiability and the internet. Analyse und Kritik, 26(1), 139–157.
- Donadio, R. (2010). Larger threat is seen in google case. New York Times. Dated February 24, 2010, from http://www.nytimes.com/2010/02/25/technology/companies/25google.html?_r=1. Accessed September 9, 2010.
- Ekman, P., & Friesen, W. V. (1975). Unmasking the face: A guide to recognizing emotions from facial clues. Englewood Cliffs: Prentice Hall.
- Jurca R., & Faltings, B. (2006). Minimum payments that reward honest reputation feedback. Proceedings of the 7 th ACM Conference on Electronic Commerce (pp. 190–199). New York: ACM.
- Hardin, R. (2006). Trust. Cambridge: Polity Press.
- Hirschman, A. O. (1970). Exit, voice and loyalty: Responses to decline in firms, organizations and states. Cambridge: Harvard University Press.
- Holton, R. (1994). Deciding to trust, coming to believe. Australasian Journal of Philosophy, 72(1), 63–76. CrossRef
- Horsburgh, H. J. N. (1960). The ethics of trust. Philosophical Quarterly, 10, 343–354. CrossRef
- Jøsang, A., Ismail, R., & Boyd, C. (2007). A survey of trust and reputation systems for online service provision. Decision Support Systems, 43(2), 618–644. CrossRef
- Marti, S., & Garcia-Molina, H. (2006). Taxonomy of trust: Categorizing P2P reputation systems. Computer Networks, 50(4), 472–484. CrossRef
- Miller, N., Resnick, P., & Zeckhauser, R. (2005). Eliciting informative feedback: The peer-prediction method. Management Science, 51(9), 1359–1373. CrossRef
- Pettit, P. (2004). Trust, reliance and the internet. Analyse und Kritik, 26(1), 108–121.
- Pew Research Center. (2010). Trend data. Pew internet and American life project. Dated September 2010, from http://www.pewinternet.org/Static-Pages/Trend-Data/Online-Activites-Total.aspx. Accessed November 19, 2010.
- Reid, T. (1983). Thomas Reid’s inquiry and essays. In: R. E. Beanblossom & K. Lehrer (Eds.), Indianopolis: Hackett.
- Resnick, P., & Zeckhauser, R. (2002). Trust among strangers in internet transactions: Empirical analysis of eBay’s reputation system. In M. R. Baye (Ed.), The Economics of the internet and E-commerce (pp. 127–157). Oxford: JAI. CrossRef
- Resnick, P., Zeckhauser, R., Friedman, E., & Kuwabara, K. (2000). Reputation systems. Communications of the ACM, 43(12), 45–48. CrossRef
- Resnick, P., Zeckhauser, R., Swanson, J., & Lockwood, K. (2006). The value of reputation on eBay: A controlled experiment. Experimental Economics, 9(2), 79–101. CrossRef
- Rohrer, F. (2009) The perils of five-star reviews. BBC news magazine. Dated June 25, 2009, from http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/magazine/8118577.stm. Accessed February 13, 2010.
- Sanchez, M. C. (2008). The web difference: A legal and normative rationale against liability for online reproduction of third-party defamatory content. Harvard Journal of Law and Technology, 22(1), 301–320.
- Snijders, C., & Zijdeman, R. (2004). Reputation and internet auctions: eBay and beyond. Analyse und Kritik, 26(1), 158–184.
- State of New York Attorney General’s Office. (2009). ‘Attorney General Cuomo secures settlement with plastic surgery franchise that flooded internet with false positive reviews.’ Retrieved July 14, 2009, from http://www.ag.ny.gov/media_center/2009/July/july14b_09.html. Accessed February 15, 2010.
- State of Texas. (2009). 81st legislature regular session. Sec. 33.07, Online Harassment. Dated September 1, 2009, from http://www.legis.state.tx.us/tlodocs/81R/billtext/pdf/HB02003F.pdf. Accessed April 16, 2010.
- Whitty, M. T., & Joinson, A. N. (2009). Truth, lies and trust on the internet. London: Routledge.
- e-Trust and reputation
Ethics and Information Technology
Volume 13, Issue 1 , pp 29-38
- Cover Date
- Print ISSN
- Online ISSN
- Springer Netherlands
- Additional Links
- Reputation systems
- Industry Sectors
- Author Affiliations
- 1. Faculty of Philosophy, University of Cambridge, Corpus Christi College, Cambridge, CAMBS, CB2 1RH, UK