The Corporate Psychopaths Theory of the Global Financial Crisis
- Clive R. Boddy
- … show all 1 hide
Rent the article at a discountRent now
* Final gross prices may vary according to local VAT.Get Access
This short theoretical paper elucidates a plausible theory about the Global Financial Crisis and the role of senior financial corporate directors in that crisis. The paper presents a theory of the Global Financial Crisis which argues that psychopaths working in corporations and in financial corporations, in particular, have had a major part in causing the crisis. This paper is thus a very short theoretical paper but is one that may be very important to the future of capitalism because it discusses significant ways in which Corporate Psychopaths may have acted recently, to the detriment of many. Further research into this theory is called for.
- Allio, R. J. (2007) Bad Leaders; How They Get That Way and What to Do About Them. Strategy and Leadership 35: pp. 12-17 CrossRef
- Babiak, P. (1995) When Psychopaths Go to Work: A Case Study of an Industrial Psychopath. Applied Psychology 44: pp. 171-188 CrossRef
- Babiak, P., Hare, R. D. (2006) Snakes in Suits When Psychopaths Go to Work. HarperCollins, New York
- Batra, M. M. (2007) The Dark Side of International Business. Competition Forum 5: pp. 306-314
- Blair, R. J. R., S. Budhani, E. Colledge and S. Scott: 2005, `Deafness to Fear in Boys with Psychopathic Tendencies', Journal of Child Psychology and Psychiatry 46(3), 327–336.
- Blair, R. J. R., K. S. Peschardt, S. Budhani, D. G. V. Mitchell and D. S. Pine: 2006, `The Development of Psychopathy', Journal of Abnormal Child Psychology 47(3/4), 262–275.
- Boddy, C. R. (2005) The Implications of Corporate Psychopaths for Business and Society: An Initial Examination and a Call to Arms. Australasian Journal of Business and Behavioural Sciences 1: pp. 30-40
- Boddy, C. R. (2006) The Dark Side of Management Decisions: Organisational Psychopaths. Management Decision 44: pp. 1461-1475 CrossRef
- Boddy, C. R.: 2010a, ‘Corporate Psychopaths and Organisational Type’, Journal of Public Affairs 10(4), 300–312.
- Boddy, C. R.: 2010b, ‘Corporate Psychopaths and Productivity’, Management Services Spring, 26–30.
- Boddy, C. R., Galvin, P. G., Ladyshewsky, R. (2010) Leaders Without Ethics in Global Business: Corporate Psychopaths. Journal of Public Affairs 10: pp. 121-138 CrossRef
- Boddy, C. R., R. Ladyshewsky and P. G. Galvin: 2010b, ‘The Influence of Corporate Psychopaths on Corporate Social Responsibility and Organizational Commitment to Employees’, Journal of Business Ethics 97(1), 1–19.
- Brinkley, C. A., Newman, J. P., Widiger, T. A., Lynam, D. R. (2004) Two Approaches to Parsing the Heterogeneity of Psychopathy. Clinical Psychology: Science and Practice 11: pp. 69-94 CrossRef
- Clarke, J. (2005) Working with Monsters. How to Identify and Protect Yourself from the Workplace Psychopath. Random House, Sydney
- Clements, C., Washbrush, J. B. (1999) The Two Faces of Leadership: Considering the Dark Side of Leader-Follower Dynamics. Journal of Workplace Learning 11: pp. 170-176 CrossRef
- Hare, R. (1994) Predators: The Disturbing World of the Psychopaths Among Us. Psychology Today 27: pp. 54-61
- Hare, R. (1999) Without Conscience: The Disturbing Word of the Psychopaths Among Us. Guildford Press, New York
- Kiehl, K. A., K. R. Laurens, A. T. Bates, R. D. Hare and P. F. Liddle: 2006, `Brain Potentials Implicate Temporal Lobe Abnormalities in Criminal Psychopaths', Journal of Abnormal Psychology 115(3), 443–453.
- Kiehl, K. A., A. M. Smith, A. Mendrek, B. B. Forster, R. D. Hare and P. F. Liddle: 2004, `Temporal Lobe Abnormalities in Semantic Processing by Criminal Psychopaths as Revealed by Functioning Magnetic Resonance Imaging', Psychiatry Research Neuroimaging 130(3), 297–312.
- Kiehl, K. A., A. M. Smith, A. Mendrek, B. B. Forster, R. D. Hare, P. F. Liddle and J. Brink: 2001, `Limbic Abnormalities in Affective Processing by Criminal Psychopaths as Revealed by Functional Magnetic Resonance Imaging', Biological Psychiatry 50, 677–684.
- Pech, R. J., Slade, B. W. (2007) Organisational Sociopaths: Rarely Challenged, Often Promoted. Why?. Society and Business Review 2: pp. 254-269 CrossRef
- Perkel, S. E.: 2005, ‘Book Review: Bad Leadership: What It Is, How It Happens, Why It Matters’, in B. Kellerman (ed.), Consulting to Management 16, 59–61.
- Singh, J. (2008) Impostors Masquerading as Leaders: Can the Contagion be Contained?. Journal of Business Ethics 82: pp. 733-745 CrossRef
- Viding, E. (2004) Annotation: Understanding the Development of Psychopathy. Journal of Child Psychology and Psychiatry 45: pp. 1329-1337 CrossRef
- Wernke, M. R., Huss, M. T. (2008) An Alternative Explanation for Cross-Cultural Differences in the Expression of Psychopathy. Aggression and Violent Behavior 13: pp. 229-236 CrossRef
- The Corporate Psychopaths Theory of the Global Financial Crisis
Journal of Business Ethics
Volume 102, Issue 2 , pp 255-259
- Cover Date
- Print ISSN
- Online ISSN
- Springer Netherlands
- Additional Links
- Corporate Psychopaths
- The Global Financial Crisis
- corporate management
- Industry Sectors
- Clive R. Boddy (1)
- Author Affiliations
- 1. Marketing, Nottingham Trent University, Room 621, 6th Floor, Nottingham Business School, Burton Street, Nottingham, NG1 4BU, U.K.