New stage in the use of atomic energy in space
- A. S. Koroteev
- … show all 1 hide
Rent the article at a discountRent now
* Final gross prices may vary according to local VAT.Get Access
A qualitatively new stage in the development and practical application of atomic energy in space is linked with the use of multipurpose high-capacity propulsion-power modules. Their design based on a nuclear powered propulsion facility in the megawatt range has been approved and accepted for implementation. In this article, the facility is described, the principles of operation of the facility as a whole and its individual subsystems are examined, and the proposed characteristics and mass of the structural elements are presented. The advantages of using atomic energy in the power-plant–motor variant, including for manned flight to Mars, are shown.
- A. A. Koroteev, A. A. Gafarov, N. N. Ponomarev-Stepnoi, et al., “Experience in developing and main directions of development and applications of space nuclear energy in Russia,” Byull. At. Energii (Minatom RF), No. 10, 31–36 (2003).
- A. S. Koroteev, “Qualitatively new propulsions systems for used in space are needed,” Nov. Kosmon., 19, No. 3(314), 38–40 (2009).
- A. A. Gafarov, “Nuclear energy in space: safety guaranteed,” ibid., 14, No. 9(260), 42–45 (2004).
- New stage in the use of atomic energy in space
Volume 108, Issue 3 , pp 170-173
- Cover Date
- Print ISSN
- Online ISSN
- Springer US
- Additional Links
- A. S. Koroteev (1)
- Author Affiliations
- 1. Keldysh Center, Moscow, Russia