Influence of β-alanine supplementation on skeletal muscle carnosine concentrations and high intensity cycling capacity
Rent the article at a discountRent now
* Final gross prices may vary according to local VAT.Get Access
Muscle carnosine synthesis is limited by the availability of β-alanine. Thirteen male subjects were supplemented with β-alanine (CarnoSyn™) for 4 wks, 8 of these for 10 wks. A biopsy of the vastus lateralis was obtained from 6 of the 8 at 0, 4 and 10 wks. Subjects undertook a cycle capacity test to determine total work done (TWD) at 110% (CCT110%) of their maximum power (Wmax). Twelve matched subjects received a placebo. Eleven of these completed the CCT110% at 0 and 4 wks, and 8, 10 wks. Muscle biopsies were obtained from 5 of the 8 and one additional subject. Muscle carnosine was significantly increased by +58.8% and +80.1% after 4 and 10 wks β-alanine supplementation. Carnosine, initially 1.71 times higher in type IIa fibres, increased equally in both type I and IIa fibres. No increase was seen in control subjects. Taurine was unchanged by 10 wks of supplementation. 4 wks β-alanine supplementation resulted in a significant increase in TWD (+13.0%); with a further +3.2% increase at 10 wks. TWD was unchanged at 4 and 10 wks in the control subjects. The increase in TWD with supplementation followed the increase in muscle carnosine.
- Influence of β-alanine supplementation on skeletal muscle carnosine concentrations and high intensity cycling capacity
Volume 32, Issue 2 , pp 225-233
- Cover Date
- Print ISSN
- Online ISSN
- Additional Links
- Keywords: β-alanine – Muscle – Carnosine – Taurine – Exercise – Cycle performance
- Industry Sectors
- Author Affiliations
- A1. School of Sports, Exercise & Health Sciences, University of Chichester, Chichester, U.K.
- A2. Human Exercise Physiology, Korea National Sport University, Seoul, Korea
- A3. Centre for Human Sciences, QinetiQ, Farnborough, U.K.
- A4. Sunderland Royal Hospital, Sunderland, U.K.
- A5. Natural Alternatives International, San Marcos, CA, U.S.A.