Type VI biliary cyst: Report of a case
Purchase on Springer.com
$39.95 / €34.95 / £29.95*
Rent the article at a discountRent now
* Final gross prices may vary according to local VAT.
An isolated cyst of the cystic duct is an extremely rare lesion. Only single case reports are documented in the literature. The most accepted classification system of biliary cysts, the Todani classification, does not include this lesion. We report a case of isolated cyst of the cystic duct. The initial referral was for evaluation of a gallbladder mass discovered during evaluation of abdominal pain. Preoperative diagnosis was challenging as multiple imaging studies were unable to differentiate this lesion from a choledochal cyst. Surgical planning thus included cyst excision and biliary reconstruction. Operative exploration revealed a type VI biliary cyst and cholecystectomy with cystic duct ligation near the common bile duct was curative.
- Bode WE, Aust JB. Isolated cystic dilatation of the cystic duct. Am J Surg 1983;145(6):828–829. CrossRef
- Serena Serradel AF, Santamaria Linares E, Herrera Goepfert R. Cystic dilatation of the cystic duct: a new type of biliary cyst. Surgery 1991;109(3 Pt 1):320–322.
- Loke TK, Lam SH, Chan CS. Choledochal cyst: an unusual type of cystic dilatation of the cystic duct. Am J Roentgenol 1999;173(3):619–620.
- Komi N, Takehara H, Kunitomo K, Miyoshi Y, Yagi T. Does the type of anomalous arrangement of pancreaticobiliary ducts influence the surgery and prognosis of choledochal cyst? J Pediatr Surg 1992;27(6):728–731. CrossRef
- Suzuki S, Nakamura S, Ochiai H, Baba S, Sakaguchi T, Tsuchiya Y, et al. Double cancer of the gallbladder and common bile duct associated with an anomalous pancreaticobiliary ductal junction without a choledochal cyst: Report of a case. Surg Today 1999;29(7):651–655. CrossRef
- de Vries JS, de Vries S, Aronson DC, Bosman DK, Rauws EA, Bosma A, et al. Choledochal cysts: age of presentation, symptoms, and late complications related to Todani’s classification. J Pediatr Surg 2002;37(11):1568–1573.
- Alonso-Lej F, Rever WB Jr, Pessagno DJ. Congenital choledochal cyst, with a report of 2, and an analysis of 94, cases. Int Abstr Surg 1959;108(1):1–30.
- Todani T, Watanabe Y, Narusue M, Tabuchi K, Okajima K. Congenital bile duct cysts: Classification, operative procedures, and review of thirty-seven cases including cancer arising from choledochal cyst. Am J Surg 1977;134(2):263–269. CrossRef
- Bresciani C, Gama-Rodrigues J, Santos VR. Video-laparoscopic treatment of a sizeable cyst of the cystic duct: a case report. Surg Laparosc Endosc 1998;8(5):376–379. CrossRef
- Type VI biliary cyst: Report of a case
Volume 39, Issue 1 , pp 77-79
- Cover Date
- Print ISSN
- Online ISSN
- Springer Japan
- Additional Links
- Cystic duct
- Biliary cyst
- Choledochal cyst
- Industry Sectors