Epigenetic regulation of PPARGC1A in human type 2 diabetic islets and effect on insulin secretion
Insulin secretion in pancreatic islets is dependent upon mitochondrial function and production of ATP. The transcriptional coactivator peroxisome proliferator activated receptor gamma coactivator-1 alpha (protein PGC-1α; gene PPARGC1A) is a master regulator of mitochondrial genes and its expression is decreased and related to impaired oxidative phosphorylation in muscle from patients with type 2 diabetes. Whether it plays a similar role in human pancreatic islets is not known. We therefore investigated if PPARGC1A expression is altered in islets from patients with type 2 diabetes and whether this expression is influenced by genetic (PPARGC1A Gly482Ser polymorphism) and epigenetic (DNA methylation) factors. We also tested if experimental downregulation of PPARGC1A expression in human islets influenced insulin secretion.
The PPARGC1A Gly482Ser polymorphism was genotyped in human pancreatic islets from 48 non-diabetic and 12 type 2 diabetic multi-organ donors and related to PPARGC1A mRNA expression. DNA methylation of the PPARGC1A promoter was analysed in pancreatic islets from ten type 2 diabetic and nine control donors. Isolated human islets were transfected with PPARGC1A silencing RNA (siRNA).
PPARGC1A mRNA expression was reduced by 90% (p < 0.005) and correlated with the reduction in insulin secretion in islets from patients with type 2 diabetes. After downregulation of PPARGC1A expression in human islets by siRNA, insulin secretion was reduced by 41% (p ≤ 0. 01). We were able to ascribe reduced PPARGC1A expression in islets to both genetic and epigenetic factors, i.e. a common PPARGC1A Gly482Ser polymorphism was associated with reduced PPARGC1A mRNA expression (p < 0.00005) and reduced insulin secretion (p < 0.05). In support of an epigenetic influence, the PPARGC1A gene promoter showed a twofold increase in DNA methylation in diabetic islets compared with non-diabetic islets (p < 0.04).
We have shown for the first time that PPARGC1A might be important in human islet insulin secretion and that expression of PPARGC1A in human islets can be regulated by both genetic and epigenetic factors.
- Lin, J, Handschin, C, Spiegelman, BM (2005) Metabolic control through the PGC-1 family of transcription coactivators. Cell Metab 1: pp. 361-370 CrossRef
- Mootha, VK, Lindgren, CM, Eriksson, KF (2003) PGC-1alpha-responsive genes involved in oxidative phosphorylation are coordinately downregulated in human diabetes. Nat Genet 34: pp. 267-273 CrossRef
- Ek, J, Andersen, G, Urhammer, SA (2001) Mutation analysis of peroxisome proliferator-activated receptor-gamma coactivator-1 (PGC-1) and relationships of identified amino acid polymorphisms to type II diabetes mellitus. Diabetologia 44: pp. 2220-2226 CrossRef
- Barroso, I, Luan, J, Sandhu, MS (2006) Meta-analysis of the Gly482Ser variant in PPARGC1A in type 2 diabetes and related phenotypes. Diabetologia 49: pp. 501-505 CrossRef
- Ling, C, Poulsen, P, Carlsson, E (2004) Multiple environmental and genetic factors influence skeletal muscle PGC-1alpha and PGC-1beta gene expression in twins. J Clin Invest 114: pp. 1518-1526
- Oberkofler, H, Linnemayr, V, Weitgasser, R (2004) Complex haplotypes of the PGC-1alpha gene are associated with carbohydrate metabolism and type 2 diabetes. Diabetes 53: pp. 1385-1393 CrossRef
- Yoon, JC, Xu, G, Deeney, JT (2003) Suppression of beta cell energy metabolism and insulin release by PGC-1alpha. Dev Cell 5: pp. 73-83 CrossRef
- Del Guerra, S, Lupi, R, Marselli, L (2005) Functional and molecular defects of pancreatic islets in human type 2 diabetes. Diabetes 54: pp. 727-735 CrossRef
- Lupi, R, Del Guerra, S, Fierabracci, V (2002) Lipotoxicity in human pancreatic islets and the protective effect of metformin. Diabetes 51: pp. S134-S137 CrossRef
- Novelli, M, Fabregat, ME, Fernandez-Alvarez, J, Gomis, R, Masiello, P (2001) Metabolic and functional studies on isolated islets in a new rat model of type 2 diabetes. Mol Cell Endocrinol 175: pp. 57-66 CrossRef
- Masiello, P, Broca, C, Gross, R (1998) Experimental NIDDM: development of a new model in adult rats administered streptozotocin and nicotinamide. Diabetes 47: pp. 224-229 CrossRef
- Galli, J, Li, LS, Glaser, A, Ostenson, CG (1996) Genetic analysis of non-insulin dependent diabetes mellitus in the GK rat. Nat Genet 12: pp. 31-37 CrossRef
- Fakhrai-Rad, H, Nikoshkov, A, Kamel, A (2000) Insulin-degrading enzyme identified as a candidate diabetes susceptibility gene in GK rats. Hum Mol Genet 9: pp. 2149-2158 CrossRef
- Galli, J, Fakhrai-Rad, H, Kamel, A, Marcus, C, Norgren, S, Luthman, H (1999) Pathophysiological and genetic characterization of the major diabetes locus in GK rats. Diabetes 48: pp. 2463-2470 CrossRef
- Lin, JM, Ortsater, H, Fakhrai-Rad, H, Galli, J, Luthman, H, Bergsten, P (2001) Phenotyping of individual pancreatic islets locates genetic defects in stimulus secretion coupling to Niddm1i within the major diabetes locus in GK rats. Diabetes 50: pp. 2737-2743 CrossRef
- Gotoh, M, Maki, T, Kiyoizumi, T, Satomi, S, Monaco, AP (1985) An improved method for isolation of mouse pancreatic islets. Transplantation 40: pp. 437-438 CrossRef
- Muller, YL, Bogardus, C, Pedersen, O, Baier, L (2003) A Gly482Ser missense mutation in the peroxisome proliferator-activated receptor gamma coactivator-1 is associated with altered lipid oxidation and early insulin secretion in Pima Indians. Diabetes 52: pp. 895-898 CrossRef
- Patti, ME, Butte, AJ, Crunkhorn, S (2003) Coordinated reduction of genes of oxidative metabolism in humans with insulin resistance and diabetes: Potential role of PGC1 and NRF1. Proc Natl Acad Sci U S A 100: pp. 8466-8471 CrossRef
- Herranz, M, Esteller, M (2006) New therapeutic targets in cancer: the epigenetic connection. Clin Transl Oncol 8: pp. 242-249 CrossRef
- Epigenetic regulation of PPARGC1A in human type 2 diabetic islets and effect on insulin secretion
- Open Access
- Available under Open Access This content is freely available online to anyone, anywhere at any time.
Volume 51, Issue 4 , pp 615-622
- Cover Date
- Print ISSN
- Online ISSN
- Additional Links
- DNA methylation
- Gene expression
- Pancreatic islets
- Type 2 diabetes
- Industry Sectors
- Author Affiliations
- 1. Department of Clinical Sciences, Diabetes and Endocrinology, Lund University, CRC, 205 02, Malmö, Sweden
- 2. Department of Endocrinology and Metabolism, Metabolic Unit, University of Pisa, Pisa, Italy