Population ecology of free-ranging urban dogs in West Bengal, India
- Sunil Kumar Pal
- … show all 1 hide
Purchase on Springer.com
$39.95 / €34.95 / £29.95*
Rent the article at a discountRent now
* Final gross prices may vary according to local VAT.
A population of urban free-ranging dogsCanis familiaris Linnaeus, 1758 was studied in Katwa, West Bengal, India. The analysis of changes in the density of the dog population over a period of 4 years revealed a considerable stability of this population. Mean (±SD)2 seasonal population density was 185±19 dogs/km2, ranging from 156 to 214 dogs/km2. A sex ratio of 1.37∶1 in favour of male was recorded in this study. High mortality (67%) occurred under the age of 4 months, and 82% mortality occurred within the age of 1 year. Among the adults, 24% mortality under the age of 2.6 year was recorded. Only a single breeding cycle and synchronization of breeding was observed. Immigration was observed as a crucial factor affecting the stability of this population.
- Beck A. M. 1971. The life and times of shag, a feral dog in Baltimore. Natural History 84: 58–65.
- Beck A. M. 1973. The ecology of stray dogs: a study of free-ranging urban animals. York Press, Baltimore: 1–98.
- Beck A. M. 1975. The ecology of ‘feral’ and free-ranging dogs in Baltimore. [In: The wild canids: Their systematics, behavioural ecology and evolution. M. W. Fox, ed]. Van Nostrand Reinhold, New York: 380–390.
- Bekoff M. 1977. Mammalian dispersal and the ontogeny of individual behavioural phenotypes. The American Naturalist 111: 715–732. CrossRef
- Bekoff M. 1979. Scent-marking by domestic dogs. Biology of Behaviour 4: 123–139.
- Berman M. and Dunbar I. 1983. The social behaviour of free-ranging suburban dogs. Applied Animal Ethology 10: 5–17. CrossRef
- Boitani L., Francisci F., Ciucci P. and Andreoli G. 1995. Population biology and ecology of feral dogs in Central Italy. [In: The domestic dog: Its evolution, behaviour and interactions with people. J. Serpell, ed]. Cambridge University Press, New York: 217–244.
- Boitani L. and Racana A. 1984. Indagine eco-etologica sulla popolazione di cani domestici e randagi di due comuni della Basilicata. Silva Lucana, Bari 3: 1–86.
- Causey M. K. and Cude C. A. 1980. Feral dog and white tailed deer interactions in Alabama. The Journal of Wildlife Management 44: 481–484. CrossRef
- Daniels T. J. 1983. The social organization of free-ranging urban dogs. 1: non-estrous social behaviour. Applied Animal Ethology 10: 341–361. CrossRef
- Daniels T. J. and Bekoff M. 1989. Population and social biology of free-ranging dogs,Canis familiaris. Journal of Mammalogy 70: 754–762. CrossRef
- Davis D. E. and Winstead R. L. 1980. Estimating the numbers of wildlife populations. [In: Wildlife management techniques manual (4th ed.). S. D. Schemnitz, ed]. The Wildlife Society, Washington: 221–245.
- Font E. 1987. Spacing and social organization: Urban stray dogs revisited. Applied Animal Behaviour Science 17: 319–328. CrossRef
- Fox M. W. 1978. The dog: Its domestication and behaviour. Garland STMP Press, New York: 1–296.
- Ghosh B., Choudhuri D. K. and Pal B. 1984. Some aspects of the sexual behaviour of stray dogs,Canis familiaris. Applied Animal Behaviour Science 13: 113–127. CrossRef
- Jones E. and Stevens P. L. 1988. Reproduction in wild canids,Canis familiaris from the eastern highlands of Victoria. Australian Wildlife Research 15: 385–394. CrossRef
- Kirk R. W. 1977. Current veterinary therapy. [In: Small animal practice. Vol. VI. W. B. Saunders, ed]. Philadelphia: 1–1418.
- Kleiman D. G. 1968. Reproduction in the Canidae. International Zoo Yearbook 8: 1–7. CrossRef
- Kleiman D. G. and Eisenberg J. F. 1973. Comparisons of canid and felid social systems from an evolutionary perspectives. Animal Behaviour 21: 637–659. CrossRef
- Macdonald D. W. and Carr G. M. 1995. Variation in the dog society: Between resource dispersion and social flux. [In: The domestic dog: Its evolution, behaviour and interactions with people. J. Serpell, ed]. Cambridge University Press, New York: 199–216.
- Nakada A., Fujita T. and Sato H. 1996. A case study of home range and habitat use in 3 free-ranging dogs: Effects of past histories. Journal of Ethology 14: 139–143. CrossRef
- Nesbitt W. H. 1975. Ecology of a feral dog pack on a wildlife refuge. [In: The wild canids: Their systematics, behavioural ecology and evolution. M. W. Fox, ed]. Van Nostrand Reinhold, New York: 391–396.
- Oppenheimer E. C. and Oppenheimer J. R. 1975. Certain behavioural features in the pariah dog,Canis familiaris in West Bengal. Applied Animal Ethology 2: 81–92. CrossRef
- Pal S. K. 1999a. Some aspects of ecology and behaviour of free-ranging urban dogs,Canis familiaris. Ph D thesis, Burdwan University, Burdwan: 1–125.
- Pal S. K. 1999b. Reproduction in free-ranging dogs,Canis familiaris in West Bengal, India. XXVI International Ethological Conference, Bangalore 1999: 171.
- Pal S. K., Ghosh B. and Roy S. 1998a. Agonistic behaviour of free-ranging dogs,Canis familiaris in relation to season, sex and age. Applied Animal Behaviour Science 59: 331–348. CrossRef
- Pal S. K., Ghosh B. and Roy S. 1998b. Dispersal behaviour of free-ranging dogs,Canis familiaris in relation to age, sex, season and dispersal distance. Applied Animal Behaviour Science 61: 123–132. CrossRef
- Pal S. K., Ghosh B. and Roy S. 1999. Inter- and intro- sexual behaviour of free-ranging dogs,Canis familiaris. Applied Animal Behaviour Science 62: 267–278. CrossRef
- Rubin H. D. and Beck A. M. 1982. Ecological behaviour of free-ranging urban pet dogs. Applied Animal Ethology 8: 161–168. CrossRef
- Saunders G., White C. L., Harris S. and Rainier J. M. V. 1993. Urban foxes (Vulpes vulpes): food acquisition, time and energy budgeting of a generalized predator. Symposia of the Zoological Society of London 65: 215–234.
- Scott M. D. and Causey K. 1973. Ecology of feral dogs in Alabama. The Journal of Wildlife Management 17: 253–265. CrossRef
- Voigt D. R. and Macdonald D. W. 1984. Variation in the spatial and social behaviour of the red fox,Vulpes vulpes. Acta Zoologica Fenica 171: 261–265.
- Westbrook W. and Allen R. 1979. Animal field research. [In: The handbook of animal welfare. R. D. Allen and W. H. Westbrook, eds]. Garland STMP Press, New York: 148–167.
- Population ecology of free-ranging urban dogs in West Bengal, India
Volume 46, Issue 1 , pp 69-78
- Cover Date
- Print ISSN
- Online ISSN
- Additional Links
- Canis familiaris
- Sunil Kumar Pal (1)
- Author Affiliations
- 1. Katwa Bharati Bhaban, P.O.-Katwa, 713 130, Dist.-Burdwan, (W.B.), India