Comparative Performance of Micropropagated and Conventionally Raised Crops of Sugarcane
Rent the article at a discountRent now
* Final gross prices may vary according to local VAT.Get Access
A comparative study on the performance of tissue culture raised and conventional crops of sugarcane was made at eight locations in sugar mill area of Nahar Sugar and Allied Industries Ltd., Amloh (Punjab). In vitro raised plantlets of sugarcane varieties viz. CoJ 64 and CoJ 83 were hardened, acclimatized and transplanted to the fields for cane formation. After maturity, the seed material was again sown in the field by sett cutting method along with appropriate control for field evaluation of the crops. On the basis of data, it was observed that the tissue culture raised crop was superior in both agro-morphological and quality traits over the crop raised by conventional method.
- Anonymous (2000). Survey of Indian Agriculture,The Hindu.
- Flynn, J.L., Anderlini, T.A. (1989) Disease incidence and yield performance of tissue culture generated seed cane over crop cycle in Louisiana. Sugar Journal 53: pp. 15-15
- Kilaru, A. (1998). Micropropagation of sugarcane: A commercial approach.Proc. 60thAnn. Conv. Sugarcane Technologists Association of India, p. 81–86.
- Krishnamurthy, M. (1994) Alteration of conventional and unconventional means of breeding in sugarcane. Proc. SABRAO, XVIIth Int. Congr. And WSAA Symp. Held at academia Sinica, Nankang, Taipei, Taiwan, Nov. 16-19 1: pp. 285-289
- Lal, J., Pande, H.P. (2003) In vitro rejuvenation and micropropagation of deteriorated sugarcane cultivars. Indian Journal of Sugarcane Technology 18: pp. 85-87
- Lal, N. (1997) Performance of sugarcane mericlone transplants under different inter and intra-row spacing combinations. Sugarcane 6: pp. 12-14
- Lal, N., Krishna, R. (1997) Yield comparison in sugarcane crop raised from conventional and mericlone derived seed cane. Indian Sugar XLVIl: pp. 617-621
- Murashige, T., Skoog, F. (1962) A revised medium for rapid growth and bioassay with tobacco tissue culture. Physiol. Plant. 15: pp. 473-497 CrossRef
- Savangikar, V.A. (1995). Sugarcane tissue culture technology development and commercial side. Seminar on application of Biotechnology for sustainable sugarcane production. 44th Annual Conv. DSTA, Pune, pp. 48–51.
- Savangikar, V.A. (1996). Observation on the performance of commercial tissue cultured plantation at low planting density. 44th Annual Conv. DSTA, Pune, pp. 144–148.
- Sood, N., Srivastava, R., Gosal, S.S. (1999) In vitro multiplication and field evaluation of sugarcane. Proc. S.T.A.I. 61: pp. 3-9
- Sreenivasan, T.V., Sreenivasan, J. (1992) Micropropagation of sugarcane varieties for increasing cane yield. SISSTA, Sugar J. 14: pp. 61-64
- Comparative Performance of Micropropagated and Conventionally Raised Crops of Sugarcane
Volume 7, Issue 2-3 , pp 93-95
- Cover Date
- Print ISSN
- Online ISSN
- Springer India
- Additional Links
- Tissue culture
- field evaluation
- Industry Sectors