Coloration of poly(lactic acid) with disperse dyes. II. Dyeing characteristics and color fastness
Rent the article at a discountRent now
* Final gross prices may vary according to local VAT.Get Access
In Part 1 of this study, the dyeability, color shade, wash, light fastness and compatibility of homogeneous disperse dyes on PLA fabric and PET fabric were reported. The present paper (Part 2) focuses on the application of commercial disperse dyes to PLA fabric. Specific areas of investigation are the coloration properties of dyes originally intended for the production of high lightfastness polyester fabrics or for application to cellulose diacetate. The compatibility of the eight members of the dye set was investigated. In terms of lightfastness, the ratings were higher than that of conventional disperse dyes. In addition, the use of dye combinations to achieve synergistic uptake on PLA was explored leading to the pronounced synergism with a mixture of CI Disperse Blue 374 and 284.
- S. M. Burkinshaw, “Chemical Principles of Synthetic Fibre Dyeing”, p.1, Blackie Academic & Professional, London, 1995.
- K. Oksman, M. Skrifvars, and J. F. Selin,Composites Science and Technology,63, 1317 (2003). CrossRef
- Y. F. Kim, C. N. Choi, Y. D. Kim, K. Y. Lee, and M. S. Lee,Fibers and Polymers,5(4), 270 (2004). CrossRef
- M. Pluta,Polymer,45, 8239 (2004). CrossRef
- X. Yang, S. Kang, Y. Yang, K. Aou, and S. L. Hsu,Polymer,45, 4241 (2004). CrossRef
- D. Phillips, J. Suesat, M. Wilding, D. Farrington, S. Sandukas, D. Sawyer, J. Bone, and S. Dervan,Color. Technol.,120, 35 (2004). CrossRef
- Y. Yang and S. Huda,J. AATCC Review, August, 56 (2003).
- Y. Yang and S. Huda,J. Appl. Polym. Sci.,90, 3285 (2003). CrossRef
- J. H. Choi and W. Y. Seo,Fibers and Polymers,7(3), 270 (2006). CrossRef
- R. G. Kuehni, “Color: An Introduction to Practice and Principles”, 2nd ed., pp.95–100, Wiley-Interscience, New York, 2005.
- T. Nakamura, “Proc. Japan-China-Korea Joint Symposium on Textile”, Japan, p.51, 2004.
- D. M. Nunn, “The Dyeing of Synthetic-Polymer and Acetate Fibres”, p.18, Dyers Company Publications Trust, West Yorkshire, 1979.
- Coloration of poly(lactic acid) with disperse dyes. II. Dyeing characteristics and color fastness
Fibers and Polymers
Volume 8, Issue 1 , pp 37-42
- Cover Date
- Print ISSN
- Online ISSN
- The Korean Fiber Society
- Additional Links
- PLA fiber
- Disperse dyes
- Light fastness
- Dye compatibility
- Colorimetric data
- Industry Sectors
- Author Affiliations
- 1. Department of Textile System Engineering, Kyungpook National University, 702-701, Daegu, Korea
- 2. Department of Clothing and Textile, Kyungpook National University, 702-701, Daegu, Korea
- 3. James Robinson Ltd., Huddersfield, U. K.