Pigments present in virgin olive oil
Rent the article at a discountRent now
* Final gross prices may vary according to local VAT.Get Access
The qualitative and quantitative control of pigments in ripe olives and in extracted virgin olive oil has increased our knowledge of the influence on these compounds in the areas of ripening of the fruit, storage time in the factory and the oil extraction process. As the harvesting time of the fruits increases, pigment content decreases. During storage, the presence of lipoxygenase has been detected, as well as a considerable decrease in chlorophylls and a small decrease in carotenoids. During the extraction process, the chlorophyllic fraction is destroyed in the greater part, and although the carotenoid fraction is also affected, its concentration increases in the oil with respect to that in the fresh fruit. In the pigment degradation, in addition to the acid-catalyzed reaction, the presence of lipoxygenase suggests a role for this enzyme.
- Simpson, K.L. and L. Tung-Ching, inChemistry and Biochemistry of Plant Pigments, edited by T.W. Goodwin Academic Press, London, New York, San Francisco, 1976.
- Minguez-Mosquera, M.I. and J. Garrido-Fernández,J. Agric. Food Chem. 37:1 (1989). CrossRef
- Yoon, S. and B.P. Klein,J. Agric. Food Chem. 27:955 (1979). CrossRef
- Holden, M.S.,J. Sci. Food Agric. 16:312 (1965). CrossRef
- Buckle, K.A. and R.A.S. Edwards,Ibid. 21:307 (1970). CrossRef
- Kockritz, A., T. Schewe, B. Hieke and W. Hass,Phytochemistry 24:381 (1985). CrossRef
- Grossman, S. and E.G. Waksman,J. Biochem. 16:281 (1984). CrossRef
- Edwards, C.G. and C.Y. Lee,J. Food Sci. 51:534 (1986). CrossRef
- Speek, A.J., C.R. Temalilwa and J. Schrijver,J. Food. Chem. 19:65 (1986). CrossRef
- Axelrod, B., inFood Related Enzymes, edited by J.R. Whitaker, Adv. Chem. Ser. 136, A.C.S., Washington, DC, 1974.
- Davies, B.H., inChemistry and Biochemistry of Plant Pigments, edited by T.W. Goodwin, Academic Press, London, New York, San Francisco, 1976.
- Rodríguez-Amaya, D.B., P.A. Bobbio and F.O. Bobbio,Food Chem. 12:61 (1983). CrossRef
- Pigments present in virgin olive oil
Journal of the American Oil Chemists' Society
Volume 67, Issue 3 , pp 192-196
- Cover Date
- Print ISSN
- Online ISSN
- Additional Links
- Industry Sectors