Was Macht Eine Erkenntnistheorie Naturalistisch?
- Dirk KoppelbergAffiliated withInstitut für Philosophie, Freie Universität Berlin
Rent the article at a discountRent now
* Final gross prices may vary according to local VAT.Get Access
On what makes an epistemology naturalistic
Since the publication of W. V. Quine's classic paper “Epistemology Naturalized” there have been many discussion on the virtues and vices of naturalistic epistemology. Within these discussions not much attention has been paid to a basic question: What makes an epistemology naturalistic? I give an answer by providing a logical geography of competing naturalistic positions. Then I defend naturalistic epistemology against the charge of the so-called causal fallacy. Finally I give a critical appraisal of different naturalistic theories of knowledge and introduce cooperative naturalism as the most promising research strategy.
Key wordsnaturalism naturalistic epistemology analytical epistemology theory of knowledge theory of epistemic justification causal fallacy
- Was Macht Eine Erkenntnistheorie Naturalistisch?
Journal for General Philosophy of Science
Volume 27, Issue 1 , pp 71-90
- Cover Date
- Print ISSN
- Online ISSN
- Kluwer Academic Publishers
- Additional Links
- naturalistic epistemology
- analytical epistemology
- theory of knowledge
- theory of epistemic justification
- causal fallacy
- Dirk Koppelberg (1)
- Author Affiliations
- 1. Institut für Philosophie, Freie Universität Berlin, Habelschwerdter Allee 30, D-14195, Berlin, Germany