Effects of kelp (Macrocystis integrifolia andEcklonia maxima) foliar applications on bean crop growth
Purchase on Springer.com
$39.95 / €34.95 / £29.95*
Rent the article at a discountRent now
* Final gross prices may vary according to local VAT.
In 1983 and 1984 field plot experiments were established to assess the effects of a foliar applied (2 or 4L ha−1×four applications per season) kelpMacrocystis integrifolia, concentrate on growth and nutrition of bean,Phaseolus vulgaris. A commerical kelp concentrate, prepared fromEcklonia maxima, was also used as a test comparison. In the first year a phytohormonal extract of theM. integrifolia concentrate, designed to extract the cytokinin, auxin and gibberellin phytohormones, was also applied to the crop to test the thesis that these phytohormones are active constitutents. In each of the two field seasons the kelp concentrates increased harvestable bean yields on average by 24%. The phytohormonal extract also increased yields, but was less effective than the kelp concentrate itself. Bioassay results demonstrated the presence of phytohormone-like substances in this crude extract.
- AB Biotec The X-press Method for Disintegration of Cells. Biotec Inc., Parklawn Dr., Rockville, Maryland, USA.
- Abetz P 1980 Seaweed extracts: have they a place in Australian agriculture or horticulture? J. Aust. Inst. Agric. Sci. 46, 23–29.
- Atsumi S, Kuraishi S and Hayashi T 1976 An improvement of auxin extraction procedure and its application to cultured plant cells. Planta 129, 245–247.
- Biddington N L and Thomas T H 1973 A modified amaranthus bioassay for rapid determination of cytokinins in plant extracts. Planta 111, 183–186.
- Blunden G 1977 Cytokinin activity of seaweed extractsIn Marine Natural Products and Chemistry. Eds. D J Faulkner and W H Fenical. pp 337–343. Plenum Pub. Corp., New York.
- Brinkman Manual Brinkman Instrument Division, 50 Galaxy Blvd. Rexdale, Ont., Canada.
- Ciha A J, Brenner M L and Brun W A 1977 Rapid separation and quantification of abscisic acid from plant tissue using high pressure liquid chromatography. Plant Physiol. 59, 821–826.
- Featonby-Smith B C and van Staden J 1983a The effects of seaweed concentrate and fertilizer on growth ofBeta vulgaris. Z. Pflanzenphysiol. Bd. 112, 115–162.
- Featonby-Smith B C and van Staden J 1983b The effect of seaweed concentrate on the growth of tomato plants in nematode-infested soil. Scientia Hort. 20, 137–146.
- Finnie J F and van Staden J 1985 Effect of seaweed concentrate and applied hormone onin vitro tomato roots. J. Plant Physiol. 120, 215–22.
- Featonby-Smith B C and van Staden J 1987 Effects of seaweed concentrate on grain yield in barley. S. Afr. J. Bot 53, 125–128.
- Fiskell J G A 1965 Copper.In Methods of Soil Analysis. Vol. II, Agronomy 9. Ed. C A Black. pp 1078–1089. Amer. Soc. of Agron., Madison Wis., USA.
- Gaulin Manual Gaulin Laboratory Homogenizer. Manton-Gaulin Manufacturing Co. Inc., 44 Gaulin Street, Everett, Mass., USA.
- Greweling T and Peech M 1965 Chemical Soil Test. New York State College of Agriculture. Bulletin 960.
- Hemberg T 1974 Partitioning of cytokinins between ethyl acetate and acid water phases. Physiol. Plant. 32, 191–192.
- Kotze W A G and Joubert J 1980 Influence of foliar spraying with seaweed products on the growth and mineral nutrition of rye and cabbage. Elsenberg J. 4, 17–20.
- Mann J D and Jaworski E G 1970 Minimizing loss of indoleacetic acid during purification of plant extracts. Planta 92, 285–291.
- Marschner H 1982 Effects of mineral nutrition on phytohormone balance in plants.In Plant Nutrition. Ed. A Scaife. pp 354–359. 1982 Proc. Int. Plant Nutrition Colloquium, Vol. I. Commonwealth Agriculture Bureau.
- Mengel K and Kirkby E A 1982 Principles of Plant Nutrition. 3rd ed. International Potash Institute, Switzerland.
- Murakami Y 1970 New rice seedling test for gibberellins: Microdrop method. JARQ 5, 5–9.
- Nelson W R and van Staden J 1985 1-aminocyclopropane-1-carboxylic acid in seaweed concentrate. Bot. Mar. 28, 415–417.
- Nelson W R and van Staden J 1984a The effects of seaweed concentrate on growth of nutrient-stressed greenhouse cucumbers. Hort. Sci. 19, 81–82.
- Nelson W R and van Staden J 1984b The effects of seaweed concentrate on wheat culm. J. Plant Physiol. 115, 433–437.
- Neumann P M and Nooden L D 1983 Interaction, of mineral and cytokinin supply in control of leaf senescence and seed growth in soybean explants. J. Plant Nutr. 6, 735–742.
- Nitsch J P and Nitsch C 1956 Studies on the growth of coleoptile and first internode sections: A new, sensitive, straight-growth test for auxin. Plant Physiol. 31, 94–111.
- Rademacher W and Graebe J E 1984 Isolation and analysis by gas liquid chromatography of auxins, gibberellins, cytokinins and abscisic acid from a single sample of plant material. Ber. Deutsch. Bot. Ges. Bd. 97, 75–85.
- South Africa Patent (78/3281) 1978 Wet algae processing system.
- Temple W D and Bomke A A 1988 Effects of kelpMacrocystis integrifolia on soil chemical properties and crop responses. Plant and Soil 105, 213–222.
- van Staden J 1976 Extraction and recovery of cytokinin glucosides by means of a cation exchange resin. Physiol. Plant. 38, 240–242.
- Walton D, Dashek W and Galson E 1979 A radioimmunoassay for abscisic acid. Planta 146, 139–145.
- Effects of kelp (Macrocystis integrifolia andEcklonia maxima) foliar applications on bean crop growth
Plant and Soil
Volume 117, Issue 1 , pp 85-92
- Cover Date
- Print ISSN
- Online ISSN
- Kluwer Academic Publishers
- Additional Links
- foliar spray
- Phaseolus vulgaris
- Industry Sectors