Effects of kelp (Macrocystis integrifolia andEcklonia maxima) foliar applications on bean crop growth
Rent the article at a discountRent now
* Final gross prices may vary according to local VAT.Get Access
In 1983 and 1984 field plot experiments were established to assess the effects of a foliar applied (2 or 4L ha−1×four applications per season) kelpMacrocystis integrifolia, concentrate on growth and nutrition of bean,Phaseolus vulgaris. A commerical kelp concentrate, prepared fromEcklonia maxima, was also used as a test comparison. In the first year a phytohormonal extract of theM. integrifolia concentrate, designed to extract the cytokinin, auxin and gibberellin phytohormones, was also applied to the crop to test the thesis that these phytohormones are active constitutents. In each of the two field seasons the kelp concentrates increased harvestable bean yields on average by 24%. The phytohormonal extract also increased yields, but was less effective than the kelp concentrate itself. Bioassay results demonstrated the presence of phytohormone-like substances in this crude extract.
- AB Biotec The X-press Method for Disintegration of Cells. Biotec Inc., Parklawn Dr., Rockville, Maryland, USA.
- Abetz, P (1980) Seaweed extracts: have they a place in Australian agriculture or horticulture?. J. Aust. Inst. Agric. Sci. 46: pp. 23-29
- Atsumi, S, Kuraishi, S, Hayashi, T (1976) An improvement of auxin extraction procedure and its application to cultured plant cells. Planta 129: pp. 245-247
- Biddington, N L, Thomas, T H (1973) A modified amaranthus bioassay for rapid determination of cytokinins in plant extracts. Planta 111: pp. 183-186
- Blunden, G Cytokinin activity of seaweed extracts. In: Faulkner, D J, Fenical, W H eds. (1977) Marine Natural Products and Chemistry. Plenum Pub. Corp., New York, pp. 337-343
- Brinkman Manual Brinkman Instrument Division, 50 Galaxy Blvd. Rexdale, Ont., Canada.
- Ciha, A J, Brenner, M L, Brun, W A (1977) Rapid separation and quantification of abscisic acid from plant tissue using high pressure liquid chromatography. Plant Physiol. 59: pp. 821-826
- Featonby-Smith, B C, Staden, J (1983) The effects of seaweed concentrate and fertilizer on growth ofBeta vulgaris. Z. Pflanzenphysiol. Bd. 112: pp. 115-162
- Featonby-Smith, B C, Staden, J (1983) The effect of seaweed concentrate on the growth of tomato plants in nematode-infested soil. Scientia Hort. 20: pp. 137-146
- Finnie, J F, Staden, J (1985) Effect of seaweed concentrate and applied hormone onin vitro tomato roots. J. Plant Physiol. 120: pp. 215-22
- Featonby-Smith, B C, Staden, J (1987) Effects of seaweed concentrate on grain yield in barley. S. Afr. J. Bot 53: pp. 125-128
- Fiskell, J G A Copper. In: Black, C A eds. (1965) Methods of Soil Analysis. Vol. II. Amer. Soc. of Agron., Madison Wis., USA, pp. 1078-1089
- Gaulin Manual Gaulin Laboratory Homogenizer. Manton-Gaulin Manufacturing Co. Inc., 44 Gaulin Street, Everett, Mass., USA.
- Greweling T and Peech M 1965 Chemical Soil Test. New York State College of Agriculture. Bulletin 960.
- Hemberg, T (1974) Partitioning of cytokinins between ethyl acetate and acid water phases. Physiol. Plant. 32: pp. 191-192
- Kotze, W A G, Joubert, J (1980) Influence of foliar spraying with seaweed products on the growth and mineral nutrition of rye and cabbage. Elsenberg J. 4: pp. 17-20
- Mann, J D, Jaworski, E G (1970) Minimizing loss of indoleacetic acid during purification of plant extracts. Planta 92: pp. 285-291
- Marschner H 1982 Effects of mineral nutrition on phytohormone balance in plants.In Plant Nutrition. Ed. A Scaife. pp 354–359. 1982 Proc. Int. Plant Nutrition Colloquium, Vol. I. Commonwealth Agriculture Bureau.
- Mengel, K, Kirkby, E A (1982) Principles of Plant Nutrition. International Potash Institute, Switzerland
- Murakami, Y (1970) New rice seedling test for gibberellins: Microdrop method. JARQ 5: pp. 5-9
- Nelson, W R, Staden, J (1985) 1-aminocyclopropane-1-carboxylic acid in seaweed concentrate. Bot. Mar. 28: pp. 415-417
- Nelson, W R, Staden, J (1984) The effects of seaweed concentrate on growth of nutrient-stressed greenhouse cucumbers. Hort. Sci. 19: pp. 81-82
- Nelson, W R, Staden, J (1984) The effects of seaweed concentrate on wheat culm. J. Plant Physiol. 115: pp. 433-437
- Neumann, P M, Nooden, L D (1983) Interaction, of mineral and cytokinin supply in control of leaf senescence and seed growth in soybean explants. J. Plant Nutr. 6: pp. 735-742
- Nitsch, J P, Nitsch, C (1956) Studies on the growth of coleoptile and first internode sections: A new, sensitive, straight-growth test for auxin. Plant Physiol. 31: pp. 94-111
- Rademacher, W, Graebe, J E (1984) Isolation and analysis by gas liquid chromatography of auxins, gibberellins, cytokinins and abscisic acid from a single sample of plant material. Ber. Deutsch. Bot. Ges. Bd. 97: pp. 75-85
- South Africa Patent (78/3281) 1978 Wet algae processing system.
- Temple, W D, Bomke, A A (1988) Effects of kelpMacrocystis integrifolia on soil chemical properties and crop responses. Plant and Soil 105: pp. 213-222
- Staden, J (1976) Extraction and recovery of cytokinin glucosides by means of a cation exchange resin. Physiol. Plant. 38: pp. 240-242
- Walton, D, Dashek, W, Galson, E (1979) A radioimmunoassay for abscisic acid. Planta 146: pp. 139-145
- Effects of kelp (Macrocystis integrifolia andEcklonia maxima) foliar applications on bean crop growth
Plant and Soil
Volume 117, Issue 1 , pp 85-92
- Cover Date
- Print ISSN
- Online ISSN
- Kluwer Academic Publishers
- Additional Links
- foliar spray
- Phaseolus vulgaris
- Industry Sectors