The life and work of Rosemary Lowe-McConnell: pioneer in tropical fish ecology
- Michael N. Bruton
- … show all 1 hide
Rent the article at a discountRent now
* Final gross prices may vary according to local VAT.Get Access
Rosemary Lowe-McConnell is one of the pioneers of tropical fish ecology. During a colourful and eventful career spanning over 45 years, she has worked in the tropical waters of Africa and South America and contributed significantly to our understanding of the ecology, zoogeography, phenology, evolution and taxonomy of tropical fishes. She has also assisted countless young ichthyologists and fisheries scientists and stimulated ichthyology through her lucid books on fish ecology. She continues to play an active role in the promotion of ichthyology and ecology from her home in Sussex in the English countryside. A brief biography and tribute is given so that her contributions to tropical fish ecology can be more widely appreciated.
- Géry, J. 1992. Description de deux nouvelles espèces proches deMoenkhausia lepidura (Kner) (Poissons, Characiformes, Tetragonopterinae), avec une revue du groupe. Revue fr. Aquariol. 19: 69–78.
- Jackson, P.B.N. 1959. Revision of the clariid catfishes of Nyasaland, with descriptions of a new genus and seven new species. Proc. zool. Soc. Lond. 132: 109–128.
- Kimmins, D.E. 1949. Ephemeroptera from Nyasaland, with descriptions of new species. Ann. Mag. Nat. Hist. 12: 825–836.
- Lowe, R.H. 1953. Notes on the ecology and evolution of Nyasa fishes of the genusTilapia, with a description ofT. saka Lowe. Proc. zool. Soc. Lond. 122: 1035–1041.
- Lowe, R.H. 1955. New species ofTilapia (Pisces, Cichlidae) from Lake Jipe and the Pangani River, East Africa. Bull. Brit. Mus. (Nat. Hist.) (Zool.) 2: 349–368.
- Smith, A. 1971. Mato Grosso, Last virgin land. Michael Joseph, London. 969 pp.
- Springer, S. & R.H. Lowe-McConnell. 1963. A new smooth shark,Mustelus higmani, from the equatorial Atlantic coast of South America. Copeia 1963: 241–251.
- The life and work of Rosemary Lowe-McConnell: pioneer in tropical fish ecology
Environmental Biology of Fishes
Volume 41, Issue 1-4 , pp 67-80
- Cover Date
- Print ISSN
- Online ISSN
- Kluwer Academic Publishers
- Additional Links
- Environmental fluctuations
- South America
- Author Affiliations
- 1. J.L.B. Smith Institute of Ichthyology, Private Bag 1015, Grahamstown, 6140, South Africa