Prospective study of the impact of broad-spectrum antibiotics on the yeast flora of the human gut
Rent the article at a discountRent now
* Final gross prices may vary according to local VAT.Get Access
The effects of four antibiotics on the yeast flora of the human gut were evaluated. Forty adult cancer patients who received therapy with amoxicillin-clavulanate, ciprofloxacin, sulfamethoxazole-trimethoprim or ampicillin were studied prospectively. Quantitative stool cultures for yeasts were performed immediately before, at the end of and one week after the end of the antibiotic treatment. Amoxicillin-clavulanate caused a higher and more persistent increase in gastrointestinal colonization by yeasts compared to ciprofloxacin, sulfamethoxazole-trimethoprim or ampicillin. The present results are similar to those obtained in a mouse model of gastrointestinal colonization byCandida albicans when the same antibiotics were used.
- Anaissie EJ, Bodey GP Fungal infections in patients with cancer. Pharmacotherapia 1990, 10, Supplement: 164–169.
- Samonis G, Bafaloukos D Fungal infections in cancer patients: an escalating problem. In Vivo 1992, 6: 183–194.
- Edwards JE Candida species. In: Mandell GL, Douglas RG, Bennett JE (ed): Principles and practice of infectious diseases. Churchill Livingstone, New York, 1990, p. 1943–1958.
- Kennedy MJ, Volz PA, Edward CA, Yancey RJ Mechanisms of association ofCandida albicans with intestinal mucosa. Journal of Medical Microbiology 1987, 24: 333–341.
- Kennedy MG, Volz PA Effect of various antibiotics on gastrointestinal colonization and dissemination byCandida albicans. Sabouraudia 1985, 23: 265–273.
- Samonis G, Gikas A, Anaissie EJ, Vrenzos G, Maraki S, Tselentis V, Bodey GP Prospective evaluation of effects of broad-spectrum antibiotics on gastrointestinal yeast colonization of humans. Antimicrobial Agents and Chemotherapy 1993, 37: 51–53.
- Samonis G, Anaissie EJ, Bodey GP Effects of broad-spectrum antimicrobial agents on yeast colonization of the gastrointestinal tracts of mice. Antimicrobial Agents and Chemotherapy 1990, 34: 2420–2422.
- Samonis G, Anaissie EJ, Rosenbaum B, Bodey GP A model of sustained gastrointestinal colonization byCandida albicans in healthy adult mice. Infection and Immunity 1990, 58: 1514–1517.
- Samonis G, Anastassiadou H, Dassiou M, Tselentis V, Bodey GP Effects of broad-spectrum antibiotics on colonization of gastrointestinal tract of mice byC. albicans. Antimicrobial Agents and Chemotherapy 1994, 38: 602–603.
- Freireich D, Gehan EA, Rall DP, Schmidt LH, Skipper HE Quantitative comparison of toxicity of anticancer agents in mouse, rat, hamster, dog, monkey and man. Cancer Chemotherapy 1966, 50: 219–244.
- Neu H Other β-lactam antibiotics. In: Mandell GL, Douglas RG, Bennett JE (ed): Principles and practice of infectious diseases. Churchill Livingstone, New York, 1990, p. 257–263.
- Edlung C, Nord CE A review on the impact of four quinolones on the normal oropharyngeal and intestinal human microflora. Infection 1988, 16: 8–12.
- Zinner SH, Mayer KA Sulfonamides and trimethoprim. In: Mandell GL, Douglas RG, Bennett JE (ed): Principles and practice of infectious diseases. Churchill Livingstone, New York, 1990, p. 325–334.
- Neu HC Penicillins. In: Mandell GL, Douglas RG, Bennett JE (ed): Principles and practice of infectious diseases. Churchill Livingstone, New York, 1990, p. 230–246.
- Bartoloni A, Fanci R, Orsi A, Aquilini D, Bosi A, Rosi-Ferrini P, Paradisi F The influence of ofloxacin versus trimethoprim-sulfamethoxazole on the aerobic flora in granulocytopenic subjects. Journal of Chemotherapy 1989, 1: 91–94.
- Black F, Einarsson K, Lidbeck A, Orrhage K, Nord CE Effect of lactic acid producing bacteria on the human intestinal microflora during ampicillin treatment. Scandinavian Journal of Infectious Diseases 1991, 23: 247–254.
- Bolivar R, Bodey GP Candidiasis of the gastrointestinal tract. In: Bodey GP, Fainstein V (ed): Candidiasis. Raven Press, New York, 1985, p. 181–201.
- Scully BE, Jules K, Chin NX, Neu HC Effect of ciprofloxacin on fecal flora of patients with cystic fibrosis and other patients treated with oral ciprofloxacin. American Journal of Medicine 1987, 82: 336–338.
- Sjovall J, Huitfeld B, Magni L, Nord C Effects of beta-lactam prodrugs on human intestinal microflora. Scandinavian Journal of Infectious Diseases 1989, 49, Supplement: 73–84.
- Vlaspolder F, De Zeeuw G, Rozenberg-Arska M, Egyedi P, Verhoef J The influence of fulxacillin and amoxicillin with clavulanic acid on the aerobic flora of the alimentary tract. Infection 1987, 15: 241–244.
- Prospective study of the impact of broad-spectrum antibiotics on the yeast flora of the human gut
European Journal of Clinical Microbiology and Infectious Diseases
Volume 13, Issue 8 , pp 665-667
- Cover Date
- Print ISSN
- Online ISSN
- Additional Links
- Industry Sectors
- Author Affiliations
- 1. Department of Medicine, The University of Crete, Heraklion, 7110, Crete, Greece
- 2. Department of Bacteriology, Parasitology, Zoonoses and Tropical Medicine, The University of Crete, Heraklion, 7110, Crete, Greece
- 3. Department of Medical Specialties, Section of Infectious Diseases, The University of Texas M.D. Anderson Cancer Center, 1515 Holcombe Blvd., Box 47, 77030, Houston, Texas, USA