Improved sorting networks withO(logN) depth
- M. S. Paterson
- … show all 1 hide
Rent the article at a discountRent now
* Final gross prices may vary according to local VAT.Get Access
The sorting network described by Ajtaiet al. was the first to achieve a depth ofO(logn). The networks introduced here are simplifications and improvements based strongly on their work. While the constants obtained for the depth bound still prevent the construction being of practical value, the structure of the presentation offers a convenient basis for further development.
- M. Ajtai, J. Komlós, and E. Szemerédi, AnO(n logn) sorting network,Proc. 15th Ann. ACM Symp. on Theory of Computing, 1983, pp. 1–9.
- M. Ajtai, J. Komlós, and E. Szemerédi, Sorting inC logN parallel steps,Combinatorial,3 (1983), 1–19. CrossRef
- K. Batcher, Sorting networks and their applications,Proc. AFIPS Spring Joint Computer Conference, 1968, pp. 307–314.
- F. Chung, On concentrators, superconcentrators, generalizers, and nonblocking networks,Bell System Tech. J.,58 (1978), 1765–1777.
- O. Gabber and Z. Galil, Explicit constructions of linear-sized superconcentrators,J. Comput. System Sci.,22 (1981), 407–420. CrossRef
- D. E. Knuth,The Art of Computer Programming, Vol. 3, Addison-Wesley, Reading, MA, 1973.
- A. Lubotzky, R. Phillips, and P. Sarnak, Explicit expanders and the Ramanujan conjectures,Proc. 18th Ann. ACM Symp. on Theory of Computing, 1986, pp. 240–246.
- G. A. Margulis, Explicit construction of concentrators,Problemy Peredači Informacii,9 (1973), 71–80. English translation:Problems Inform. Transmission (1975), 325–332.
- H. Robbins, A remark on Stirling's formula,Amer. Math. Monthly,62 (1955), 26–29. CrossRef
- Improved sorting networks withO(logN) depth
Volume 5, Issue 1-4 , pp 75-92
- Cover Date
- Print ISSN
- Online ISSN
- Additional Links
- Sorting networks
- Parallel algorithm
- Industry Sectors
- M. S. Paterson (1)
- Author Affiliations
- 1. Department of Computer Science, University of Warwick, CV4 7AL, Coventry, England