Sex among siblings: A survey on prevalence, variety, and effects
- David Finkelhor Ph.D.
- … show all 1 hide
Purchase on Springer.com
$39.95 / €34.95 / £29.95*
Rent the article at a discountRent now
* Final gross prices may vary according to local VAT.
In a survey of 796 undergraduates at six New England colleges and universities, 15% of the females and 10% of the males reported some type of sexual experience involving a sibling. Fondling and touching of the genitals were the most common activities in all age categories. One-fourth of the experiences could be described as exploitative either because force was used or because there was a large age disparity between the partners. Reactions to the experiences were equally divided among those who considered them positive and those who considered them negative. Females were more likely than males to have been exploited and feel badly about it. Few participants of either sex ever told anyone. The research finds evidence that such experience may have long-term effects on sexual development. Females who report sibling sexual experiences, both positive and negative, have substantially higher levels of current sexual activity. Their level of sexual self-esteem may also have been affected, but more selectively. Those with positive sibling experiences after age 9 have more sexual self-esteem. However, experiences with much older siblings taking place before age 9 are associated with generally lower levels of self-esteem and no increase in current sexual activity.
- Burgess, A. W., Groth, A. N., Holmstrom, L. L., and Sgroi, S. M. (1978).Sexual Assault of Children and Adolescents Lexington Books, Lexington, Mass.
- Constantine, L. (1977). The sexual rights of children. Paper presented to the International Conference on Love and Attraction, Swansea, Wales.
- Estep, R., Burt, M. R., and Mulligan, H. J. (1977). Socialization of sexual identity.J. Marriage Family 39: 99–112.
- Finkelhor, D. (1979a).Sexually Victimized Children Free Press, New York.
- Finkelhor, D. (1979b). What's wrong with sex between adults and children?Am. J. Orthopsychiat. 49: 692–697.
- Fisher, S. (1973).The Female Orgasm Basic Books, New York.
- Flugel, J. C. (1921).Psychoanalytic Study of the Family, London.
- Freud, S. (1963).Three Cases Collier Books, New York.
- Hunt, M. (1974).Sexual Behavior in the 1970s Playboy Press, Chicago.
- Masters, R. E. L. (1963).Patterns of Incest Julian Press, New York.
- Nobile, P. (1978). Incest: The last taboo.Penthouse January, p. 117.
- Nunnally, J. C. (1967).Psychometric Theory McGraw-Hill, New York.
- Readers discuss family sex (1977).Forum, July, pp. 89–94.
- Spainer, G. (1973). Sexual socialization and premarital sexual behavior. Doctoral dissertation, Northwestern University.Diss. Abstr. Int., 1979, University Microfilms No. 73-30, 729.
- Straus, M. (1979). Indexing and scaling for the social sciences with SPSS. Unpublished manuscript. University of New Hampshire, Durham, N.H.
- Straus, M., Gelles, R., and Steinmetz, S. (1980).Behind Closed Doors: Violence in the American Family Doubleday, New York.
- Terman, L. M. (1938).Psychological Factors in Marital Happiness McGraw-Hill, New York.
- Sex among siblings: A survey on prevalence, variety, and effects
Archives of Sexual Behavior
Volume 9, Issue 3 , pp 171-194
- Cover Date
- Print ISSN
- Online ISSN
- Kluwer Academic Publishers-Plenum Publishers
- Additional Links
- sexual abuse
- sexual development
- childhood sexuality
- sexual socialization
- Industry Sectors
- Author Affiliations
- 1. Family Violence Research Program, Department of Sociology, University of New Hampshire, 03824, Durham, New Hampshire, USA