An efficient routing protocol for wireless networks
Rent the article at a discountRent now
* Final gross prices may vary according to local VAT.Get Access
We present the Wireless Routing Protocol (WRP). In WRP, routing nodes communicate the distance and secondto-last hop for each destination. WRP reduces the number of cases in which a temporary routing loop can occur, which accounts for its fast convergence properties. A detailed proof of correctness is presented and its performance is compared by simulation with the performance of the distributed Bellman-Ford Algorithm (DBF), DUAL (a loop-free distance-vector algorithm) and an Ideal Link-state Algorithm (ILS), which represent the state of the art of internet routing. The simulation results indicate that WRP is the most efficient of the alternatives analyzed.
- R. Albrightson, J.J. Garcia-Luna-Aceves and J. Boyle, EIGRPA fast routing protocol based on distance vectors,Proc. Networld/Interop 94, Las Vegas, Nevada (May 1994).
- D. Beyer et al., Packet radio network research, development and application,Proc. SHAPE Conf. on Packet Radio, Amsterdam (1989).
- D. Beyer, Accomplishments of the DARPA SURAN program,Proc. IEEE MILCOM 90, Monterey, California (Dec. 1990), pp. 855–862.
- D. Bertsekas and R. Gallager,Data Networks, second ed. (Prentice Hall, 1992).
- C. Cheng, R. Reley, S.P.R., Kumar and J.J. Garcia-Luna-Aceves, A loop-free extended Bellman-Ford routing protocol without bouncing effect, ACM Comp. Commun. Rev. 19(4) 1989 224–236.
- M. Scott Corson and Anthony Ephremides, A distributed routing algorithm for mobile wireless networks. Wireless Networks 1 (1995) 61–81.
- J.J. Garcia-Luna-Aceves, A fail-safe routing algorithm for multihop packet-radio networks,IEEE INFOCOM (April, 1986).
- J.J. Garcia-Luna-Aceves, Loop-free routing using diffusing computations, IEEE/ACM Trans. Networking 1(1) (1993) 130–141.
- J. Hagouel, Issues in routing for large and dynamic networks, IBM Research Report, RC 9942, No. 44055 (April 1983).
- P.A. Humblet, Another adaptive shortest-path algorithm, IEEE Trans. Commun. 39(6) (1991) 995–1003.
- B.M. Leiner, D.L. Nielson and F.A. Tobagi,Proc. IEEE, Packet Radio Networks Special Issue (Jan. 1987).
- J. Moy, OSPF version 2, RFC 1583 (March 1994).
- S. Murthy and J.J. Garcia-Luna-Aceves, A more efficient pathfinding algorithm,28th Asilomar Conference, Pacific Groove, CA (Nov. 1994) pp. 229–233.
- C.E. Perkins and P. Bhagwat, Highly dynamic destination-sequenced distance-vector routing (DSDV) for mobile computers,ACM SIGCOMM (Oct. 1994) pp. 234–244.
- B. Rajagopalan and M. Faiman, A responsive distributed shortest-path routing algorithm within autonomous systems, J. Internetworking: Res and Exp. 2(1) (1991) 51–69.
- Y. Rekhter and T. Li, A border gateway protocol 4 (BGP-4), Network Working Group Internet Draft (Jan. 1994).
- W. T. Zaumen, Simulations in Drama, Network Information System Center, SRI International, Menlo Park, California (Jan. 1991).
- An efficient routing protocol for wireless networks
Mobile Networks and Applications
Volume 1, Issue 2 , pp 183-197
- Cover Date
- Print ISSN
- Online ISSN
- Kluwer Academic Publishers
- Additional Links
- Industry Sectors