An efficient routing protocol for wireless networks
Rent the article at a discountRent now
* Final gross prices may vary according to local VAT.Get Access
We present the Wireless Routing Protocol (WRP). In WRP, routing nodes communicate the distance and secondto-last hop for each destination. WRP reduces the number of cases in which a temporary routing loop can occur, which accounts for its fast convergence properties. A detailed proof of correctness is presented and its performance is compared by simulation with the performance of the distributed Bellman-Ford Algorithm (DBF), DUAL (a loop-free distance-vector algorithm) and an Ideal Link-state Algorithm (ILS), which represent the state of the art of internet routing. The simulation results indicate that WRP is the most efficient of the alternatives analyzed.
- R. Albrightson, J.J. Garcia-Luna-Aceves and J. Boyle, EIGRPA fast routing protocol based on distance vectors,Proc. Networld/Interop 94, Las Vegas, Nevada (May 1994).
- D. Beyer et al., Packet radio network research, development and application,Proc. SHAPE Conf. on Packet Radio, Amsterdam (1989).
- D. Beyer, Accomplishments of the DARPA SURAN program,Proc. IEEE MILCOM 90, Monterey, California (Dec. 1990), pp. 855–862.
- D. Bertsekas and R. Gallager,Data Networks, second ed. (Prentice Hall, 1992).
- Cheng, C., Reley, R., Kumar, S.P.R., Garcia-Luna-Aceves, J.J. (1989) A loop-free extended Bellman-Ford routing protocol without bouncing effect. ACM Comp. Commun. Rev. 19: pp. 224-236
- Scott, M. (1995) Corson and Anthony Ephremides, A distributed routing algorithm for mobile wireless networks. Wireless Networks 1: pp. 61-81
- J.J. Garcia-Luna-Aceves, A fail-safe routing algorithm for multihop packet-radio networks,IEEE INFOCOM (April, 1986).
- Garcia-Luna-Aceves, J.J. (1993) Loop-free routing using diffusing computations. IEEE/ACM Trans. Networking 1: pp. 130-141
- J. Hagouel, Issues in routing for large and dynamic networks, IBM Research Report, RC 9942, No. 44055 (April 1983).
- Humblet, P.A. (1991) Another adaptive shortest-path algorithm. IEEE Trans. Commun. 39: pp. 995-1003
- B.M. Leiner, D.L. Nielson and F.A. Tobagi,Proc. IEEE, Packet Radio Networks Special Issue (Jan. 1987).
- J. Moy, OSPF version 2, RFC 1583 (March 1994).
- S. Murthy and J.J. Garcia-Luna-Aceves, A more efficient pathfinding algorithm,28th Asilomar Conference, Pacific Groove, CA (Nov. 1994) pp. 229–233.
- C.E. Perkins and P. Bhagwat, Highly dynamic destination-sequenced distance-vector routing (DSDV) for mobile computers,ACM SIGCOMM (Oct. 1994) pp. 234–244.
- Rajagopalan, B., Faiman, M. (1991) A responsive distributed shortest-path routing algorithm within autonomous systems. J. Internetworking: Res and Exp. 2: pp. 51-69
- Y. Rekhter and T. Li, A border gateway protocol 4 (BGP-4), Network Working Group Internet Draft (Jan. 1994).
- Zaumen, W. T. (1991) Simulations in Drama. Network Information System Center, SRI International, Menlo Park, California
- An efficient routing protocol for wireless networks
Mobile Networks and Applications
Volume 1, Issue 2 , pp 183-197
- Cover Date
- Print ISSN
- Online ISSN
- Kluwer Academic Publishers
- Additional Links
- Industry Sectors