The compressive strength of a new ureaformaldehyde-based polymer concrete
Rent the article at a discountRent now
* Final gross prices may vary according to local VAT.Get Access
Standard test specimens of ureaformaldehyde-based polymer concrete (PC) prepared with various amounts of ureaformaldehyde (UF) resin and cured at temperatures in the range 90 to 150 ° C for periods up to 21 d were tested in compression. The PC having a resin content of 8% and cured at 110 ° C for about 7 d, developed an ultimate compressive strength of 37 M Pa. The strength values of PC specimens are compared with those of Portland cement concrete (PCC) specimens prepared with different water/cement ratios and mix proportions. For certain mixes the compressive strength of PCC is surpassed by that of PC having a similar binder content and comparable workability.
- “Polymer Concrete: Uses, Materials, and Properties”, SP-89 (American Concrete Institute, Detroit, 1985), 352 pp.
- Aminabhavi, T. M., Patel, R. C., Biradar, N. S. (1981) Polym. Engng Sci. 21: pp. 1085
- ACI J. Proc. V 83: pp. 798
- V. I. Sytnik et al., Plast. Massy 6 (1982) in Russian.
- J. A. Manson, “Overview of Current Research on Polymer Concrete: Materials and Future Needs”, SP-69 on Applications of Polymer Concrete (ACI, 1981) pp. 1–17.
- Fowler, D. W. M., Depuy, G. W. (1974) Concrete Polymer Materials Development in the United State. University of New South Wales, Kensington, Australia
- A. R. Seymour (ed.), “Plastic Mortars, Sealants and Caulking Compounds” (ACS Symposium Series, 113, 1979).
- U.S. Department of Commerce, National Technical Information Service, “Urea Formaldehyde in Building Materials — Citations from the Rubber and Plastics Research Association Database (1973-Nov. 84)”, No. PB 85-850782 (1985).
- T. Alp, A. A. Alzaydi andS. A. Shihata,J. Plastics and Rubber Processing and Appli. (in press).
- A. A. Alzaydi, T. Alp andS. A. Shihata, King Abdulaziz City for Science and Technology, Research Report No. AR-5-033/4, Riyadh, Saudi Arabia (1987) 124 pp.
- Estevez, J. M. J. (1965) Plast. Inst. Trans. 33: pp. 89
- Fuzzard, M. (1955) Brit. Plast. Mod. 28: pp. 192
- The compressive strength of a new ureaformaldehyde-based polymer concrete
Journal of Materials Science
Volume 25, Issue 6 , pp 2851-2856
- Cover Date
- Print ISSN
- Online ISSN
- Kluwer Academic Publishers
- Additional Links
- Industry Sectors