Fluctuations in All-India summer monsoon rainfall during 1871–1978
Rent the article at a discountRent now
* Final gross prices may vary according to local VAT.Get Access
Analysis of the All-India summer monsoon (June to September) rainfall for the period 1871 to 1978 has been made in order to understand the interannual and long-term variability of the monsoon. On a country level, India receives 85.31 cm mean monsoon rainfall which is 78%; of the annual rainfall. The coefficient of variation of monsoon rainfall at the country level is 9.5%;. The highest and lowest rainfall country level were observed in the years 1961 and 1877 respectively, the range being 41 cm about 48%; of the long term average. There are 13/9 years of large-scale deficit/excess in the 108-yr period. There is a continuous rise in the 10-yr mean rainfall from 1899 to 1953. There are four major climatic rainfall periods in the series. Correlogram and spectrum analysis showed significant 14-yr and 2.8-yr cycles respectively in 108-yr series; however detailed examination indicated that these cycles have developed during the last 30 yr of the data period.
- Blackman, R. B. and Tukey, J. W.: 1958, The Measurement of Power Spectra, Dover Publication, New York, U.S.A., 190 pp.
- Blanford, H. F.: 1886, ‘Rainfall of India’, Mem. India Met. Dept. 3, 658 pp.
- Chaplygina, A. S.: 1974, ‘Fluctuation of Atmospheric Circulation and Climatic Regime of the Earth’, Proceedings of the Symposium on ‘Physical and Dynamic Climatology’, Leningrad, August 1971. Published by World Meteorological Organisation (WMO-No. 347), pp. 205–213.
- Cochran, H. L.: 1952, ‘Chi-Square Test of Goodness-of-fit’, Ann. Math. Statistics 23 315–346.
- Cox, D. R.: 1970, Analysis of Binary Data, Methuen, 62–64.
- Joseph, P. V.: 1976, ‘Climatic Cycles in Monsoon and Cyclones 1891 to 1974’, Proc. of Symp. on ‘Tropical Monsoon’, Indian Institute of Tropical Meteorology, Pune, 378–388.
- Kraus, E. B.: 1955, ‘Secular Changes of Tropical Rainfall Regimes’, Quart. J. Roy. Met. Soc. 81, 198–210.
- Lawson, M. P., Balling, R. C. Jr., Peters, A. J., and Rundquist, D. C.: 1981, ‘Spatial Analysis of Secular Temperature Fluctuations’, J. Climatology 1, 325–332.
- Mooley, D. A. and Parthasarathy, B.: 1979, ‘Poisson Distribution and Years of Bad Monsoon over India’, Arch. Met. Geophys. Biokl. B27, 381–388.
- Mooley, D. A. and Parthasarathy, B.: 1983a, ‘Variability of the Indian Summer Monsoon and Tropical Circulation Features’, Monthly Weather Review 111, 967–978.
- Mooley, D. A. and Parthasarathy, B.: 1983b, ‘Droughts and Floods over India in Summer Monsoon Season 1871–1980’, in A. S. Perrot, M. Beran, and R. Ratchiffe (eds.), Variations of the Global Water Budget, D. Reidel Publ. Co., Dordrecht, Holland, pp. 239–252.
- Mooley, D. A., Parthasarathy, B., Sontakke, N. A., and Munot, A. A.: 1981, ‘Annual Rainwater over India, Its Variability and Impact on the Economy’,J. Climatology 1,167–186.
- Parthasarathy, B. and Dhar, O. N.: 1976, ‘A Study of Trends and Periodicities in the Seasonal and Annual Rainfall of India’, Indian J. Meteor. Hydrol. Geophys. 27, 23–28.
- Parthasarathy, B. and Dhar, O. N.: 1978a, ‘Climatic Fluctuations over Indian Region — Rainfall: A Review’, Indian Institute of Tropical Meteorology, Pune, Res. Report No. RR 025. 31 pp.
- Parthasarathy, B. and Mooley, D. A.: 1978b, ‘Some Features of a Long Homogeneous Series of Indian Summer Monsoon Rainfall’, Monthly Weather Rev. 106, 771–781.
- Rainbird, A. F.: 1967, Methods of Estimating Areal Average Precipitation, WMO/IHD Report No. 3, WMO, Geneva, 42 pp.
- Tyson, P. D., Dyer, T. G.J., and Mametse, M. N.: 1975, ‘Secular Changes in South African Rainfall: 1880 to 1972’, Quart. J. Roy. Met. Soc. 101, 817–833.
- Walker, G. T.: 1910, ‘On the Meteorological Evidence for Supposed Changes of Climate in India’, Indian Meteorol. Memo. 21 (Part I), 1–21.
- Walker, G. T.: 1914, ‘A Further Study of Relationship with Indian Monsoon Rainfall’, Indian Meteorol. Memo. 21 (Part VIII), 1–12.
- Walker, G. T.: 1922, ‘Correlation in Seasonal Variation of Weather: VII - The Local Distribution of Monsoon Rainfall’, Indian Meteorol. Memo. 21 (Part VIII), 23–29.
- Winstanley, D.: 1973a, ‘Recent Rainfall Trends in Africa, and the Middle East and India’, Nature 243 (5407), 464–465.
- Winstanley, D.: 1973b, ‘Rainfall Pattern and General Atmospheric Circulations’, Nature 245 (5422), 190–194.
- World Meteorological Organisation: 1966, Climatic Change, WMO Technical Note 79, WMO No. 195- TP-100, Geneva, 79 pp.
- Fluctuations in All-India summer monsoon rainfall during 1871–1978
Volume 6, Issue 3 , pp 287-301
- Cover Date
- Print ISSN
- Online ISSN
- Kluwer Academic Publishers
- Additional Links
- Industry Sectors