Cytogenetics of tropical bulbous ornamentals. IX. Breeding systems in Zephyranthes
Rent the article at a discountRent now
* Final gross prices may vary according to local VAT.Get Access
Zephyranthes is a rather versatile genus and contains self-incompatible and self-compatible taxa coupled with positional barrier between stigma and anthers. The two may augment or run counter to each other. Furthermore, the genus also contains sexual and agamospermous species. The latter are often self-pollinated and pseudogamous. Z. sulphurea (2n=48) when pollinated with Z. candida (2n=40 and 41) has consistently given rise to seedlings with maternal chromosome number and morphology. Z. lancasteri and cv. 20 also behave similarly. This is a strong pointer for their being agamospermous, although a final proof will come from an embryological study. The intraspecific polymorphism within agamospermous taxa in the genus may be the result of autosegregation. On the other hand, the crosses involving sexual species like Z. candida (2n=41) as the female parent have generated a large heterogeneous progeny ranging in chromosome number from 2n=33 to 48 depending upon the number in the male parent. Such versatility of the breeding system together with chromosomal repatterning, hybridization, polyploidy and vegetative multiplication/apomixis explains the origin and preservation of an astonishing range in chromosome numbers from 2n=18 to 96.
- Brown, M. V. (1951) Apomixis in Z. texana Herb. Am. J. Bot. 38: pp. 697-702
- Cave, M. S. (1956\s-1964) Index to plant chromosome numbers. Publ. Calif. bot. Soc., USA
- Coe, G. E. (1953) Cytology of reproduction in Cooperia pedunculata. Am. J. Bot. 40: pp. 335-343
- Coe, G. E. (1954) Chromosome numbers and morphology in Habranthus and Zephyranthes. Bull. Torrey bot. Club 81: pp. 141-148
- Darlington, C. D. (1963) Chromosome Botany and the origins of cultivated plants. Allen & Unwin, London
- Darlington, C. D., Hair, J. B., Hurcombe, R. (1951) The history of the garden Hyacinths. Heredity 5: pp. 233-252
- Darlington, C. D., Wylie, A. (1955) Chromosome atlas of flowering plants. Allen and Unwin, London
- Flory, W. S., 1954. Speciation in tribe Zephyrantheae of the amaryllis family. 8ème Congr. int Bot. (Paris): Rapp. Commun. (Sect. 9 et 10): 192.
- Flory, W. S., 1964. The origin of three recently described taxa in tribe Zephyrantheae. 10th int. bot. Congr. Abstr. Vol.; 367–368.
- Flory, W. S. & Flagg, R. O., 1961. The chromosomes of Zephyranthes albeilla. Abstr. ASB Bull. 8.
- Flory, W. S., Phillips, R. P., Flagg, R. O. (1968) Chromosomes of interspecific and intergeneric hybrids in Zephyrantheae. Proc. 72th int. Congr. Genet. 1: pp. 183
- Gustafsson, A. (1947) Apomixis in higher plants III. Biotype and species formation. Acta Univ. Lund. N. F. Adv. 44: pp. 183-370
- Lewis, W. H. (1962) Aneusomaty in aneuploid populations of Claytonia virginica. Am. J. Bot. 19: pp. 918-928
- Lewis, W. H. (1970) Extreme instability of chromosome number in Claytonia virginica. Taxon 19: pp. 180-182
- Ornduff, R., 1965–66. Index to plant chromosome numbers for 1965 and 1966. Regnum veg. Utrecht, 50 and 55.
- Pace, L. (1913) Apogamy in Atamasco. Bot. Gaz. 56: pp. 376-394 CrossRef
- Raina, S. N., Khoshoo, T. N. (1971) Cytogenetics of tropical bulbous ornamentals. VI. Chromosomal polymorphism in cultivated Zephyranthes. Caryologia 24: pp. 217-227
- Raina, S. N., Khoshoo, T. N. (1971) Cytogenetics of tropical bulbous ornamentals. VII. Male meiosis in some cultivated taxa of Zephyranthes. Cytologia 36: pp. 595-603
- Raina, S. N., Khoshoo, T. N. (1971) Cytogenetics of tropical bulbous ornamentals. VIII. Pollen grains mitosis in Z. puertoricensis. Genetica 42: pp. 239-247
- Stebbins, G. L. (1950) Variation and evolution in plants. Columbia University Press, New York
- Winge, O. (1940) Taxonomic and evolutionary studies in Erophila based on Cytogenetic investigations. C. r. Trav. Lab. Carlsberg 23: pp. 41-74
- Yokouchi, Y. (1965) Chromosome studies in Zephyranthes III Chromosome rings of Z. candida. Kromosoma 61: pp. 1989-1998
- Cytogenetics of tropical bulbous ornamentals. IX. Breeding systems in Zephyranthes
Volume 21, Issue 2 , pp 317-323
- Cover Date
- Print ISSN
- Online ISSN
- Kluwer Academic Publishers
- Additional Links
- Industry Sectors